T4 1.9td poor MPG? [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

T4 1.9td poor MPG?

TonyR
01-02-09, 19:39
I seem to be getting about 50 miles from a tenner of diesel which I reckon is about 20MPG

Is this normal? Any ideas why it may be so poor?

Ta!

LittleKatie
01-02-09, 20:04
Have you tried taking the handbrake off ???? LOL:

LOL: LOL: LOL: LOL: LOL:

Seriously, you should get more than double your figures.

Katie.

TonyR
01-02-09, 20:06
That is what I thought :(

jonbott
01-02-09, 20:19
we had that on a td mondeo turned out dodgy ecu thingy

TonyR
01-02-09, 20:44
I don't think the 1.9 has an ECU :(

StephenTazz
01-02-09, 20:44
we had that on a td mondeo turned out dodgy ecu thingy

The 1.9TD hasn't got one of those...

The handbrake is not such a silly suggestion - the cables could be frozen in their sleaves...

Also, fuel consumption goes up in cold weather, but not by that much...

TonyR
01-02-09, 20:45
Handbrake is fine and working perfectly.....

Kieran
01-02-09, 20:52
Got a leak somewhere bud??!! :confused:

TonyR
01-02-09, 20:55
Need to get someone to take a look at it I think :(

alister
01-02-09, 21:18
try the air mass meter? doesn't show up as an engine code, might have an amber engine check light on your dash? doesn't always come up. fuel consumtion goes up power starts to drop off.
if you can swap one over from another vehicle that you know has a good one thats the best way to check. Get a new one from main dealer as the GSF ect ones arn't the same. main dealer price about 60 (Make sure you hagle the price, tell them your picking it up for trade if needs be) it's fitted to the pipe that comes from you air filter and a easy diy fix.
you might want to take it to a garage with vagcom just to get the engine code error read and erased (13).
not say it def your problem but they are fragile:ILU:

TonyR
01-02-09, 21:23
try the air mass meter? doesn't show up as an engine code, might have an amber engine check light on your dash? doesn't always come up. fuel consumtion goes up power starts to drop off.
if you can swap one over from another vehicle that you know has a good one thats the best way to check. Get a new one from main dealer as the GSF ect ones arn't the same. main dealer price about 60 (Make sure you hagle the price, tell them your picking it up for trade if needs be) it's fitted to the pipe that comes from you air filter and a easy diy fix.
you might want to take it to a garage with vagcom just to get the engine code error read and erased (13).
not say it def your problem but they are fragile:ILU:

It's a 1.9 not a 2.5 :(

LittleKatie
01-02-09, 22:13
Hmmmm.
Theres no ecu.. cant use vagcom on 1.9td.

Ok so there is one of two things going on here.
Either the van is being held back = handbrake on - Theres a ton of still loaded in the back - wheel bearings are siezed up etc etc
This can be determined by how well it actually goes = does it accelerate ok .. etc etc.

Or there is actually something wrong with the engine.. This can also be determined if it accelerates ok or top speed etc .. but also .. if it does go ok is it smoking - over injecting .. it could be injection timing.. get it checked out.

Alternativly .. as someone else sujested it could just be down to a leak - this would show up if you look underneath to find any wet patches on the underside.. Diesel stinks anyway and should be easy to discover any leak.

Or just unhitch that 40ft caravan from the tow bar.... LOL: LOL: LOL:

Katie.

StephenTazz
01-02-09, 22:26
Ruling out the binding brakes, seized wheel bearings, fuel leaks, and a blocked air filter, with no electronics to worry about - it can only be pump timing...

... which means the cambelt could have jumped a tooth - but why?

... or the pump itself is whacked out.

Did this happen overnight - one day fine, next day not?

TonyR
01-02-09, 22:33
It's been like it since I had it but looking at the engine it is really clean and seems to have been well cared for, apaprently the belt was done recently.

I disconnected the EGR a few days ago and it seems to be more lively but missing a little bit. It also smokes just a bit when first started (greyish rather than heavy black)

I am wondering if it needs the fueling checking.

TonyR
01-02-09, 22:34
I should also add other than that it seems fine. A little less powerful than the 2.4 I had but for a standard engine I guess in the right ball park.

StephenTazz
01-02-09, 22:59
I should also add other than that it seems fine. A little less powerful than the 2.4 I had but for a standard engine I guess in the right ball park.

Are you doing short journeys from cold?

Is the EGR system working as it should, (i.e no air leaks which will have an adverse effect the turbo boost) - also, there should be a small blanking plug on the take off on left of the turbo manifold (if you're facing the engine)

Also get the garage to recheck the cambelt/pump timing, just in case...

Any blue/grey smoke on a cccccold cold start will be unburnt fuel in the exhaust, and shouldn't be a concern in spite of the glow plugs...

Grey/blue smoke on a hot diesel engine (on overrun) could be glazed bores/gummed up rings which will rob precious power - an oil flush and engine oil and filter change might be a quick fix...

A 1.9TD should feel more alive than a 2.4Dna despite it having 10 less hp (it develops it's power over a wider rev range)...

One more check...

with your engine cold, unscrew the header tank cap - if it hisses, the cooling system is pressurized when it shouldn't be (it might be faulty cap) - if the coolant disappears when the engine is hot (the warning light will come on) , and reappears when it cools down then the head gasket has blown

White smoke can be a red herring as your Cat is changing harmful exhaust fumes to water (which rots your exhaust!) - equally, oil in the coolant can be a blown oil cooler diaphragm.

There isn't much more that I can suggest...

LittleKatie
01-02-09, 23:10
Well.. I would sujest you get the timing checked.
It may be that if the belt was changed recently and done by someone without the required tools or equipment capable of checking the timing, the fault may have ocured then..
Who knows.. But anyway it needs checking out. the 1.9td engine is pretty basic and not too costly to have work done on. And, it will save you money in the long term if its drinking diesel at that rate..
T:
Katie.

TonyR
01-02-09, 23:16
I think I may get one of the other 1.9 owners to take a drive next Sunday and compare it. That or take to armed robbery.

TonyR
02-02-09, 07:37
It gets worse. Got up this morning and it wouldn't start. Just what you need when you are in a hurry to get to the school. I bought the bloody thing to get something more reliable.

I am starting to regret buying it. :(

Walesy
02-02-09, 07:46
Take it up to RKE in St Aggie for a check up mate, aggiet4's works there and he knows his way around those engines, it could be that the diesel pump timing is way out or something?

TonyR
02-02-09, 07:53
Take it up to RKE in St Aggie for a check up mate, aggiet4's works there and he knows his way around those engines, it could be that the diesel pump timing is way out or something?

Easier said than done. Can't get it started now. The engine is spinning freely, there's the smell of unburned deisel and the odd puff of smoke from the exhaust but no firing up.

This sucks big time.

TonyR
02-02-09, 13:56
Still dead as a dodo :-(

If anyone lives locally and can take a look please PM me!

BIGBALL
02-02-09, 19:52
We thought we where getting millage aswell, best way to find out is to see how many miles you get on a full tank. From what i gather from forum posts 550 miles + is normal. We w:ere getting about that so felt better - ?? any help ?? :cool:

StephenTazz
02-02-09, 21:01
Easier said than done. Can't get it started now. The engine is spinning freely, there's the smell of unburned deisel and the odd puff of smoke from the exhaust but no firing up.

This sucks big time.

How cold is it where you are?

Filled up at a garage I don't normally use - had starting problems (as you describe) during the last cold spell, a couple of weeks ago - a quick squirt of Easy Start into the breather hole in the air intake hose usually did enough to get the van fired up but not every time...

Filled up at my usual place, added some diesel fuel conditioner - no starting problems since...

Thought it was the glowplugs, but I reckon it was summer diesel "freezing" - or rather waxing - in the pipes - is there water in the fuel filter?

I got some new glowplugs (just in case), but haven't fitted them yet...

It does sound like the cambelt or the camshaft sprocket has slipped - cam timing and pump timing will both be affected - it needs to be checked, before you right the van off...

If you have the receipt for the cambelt change and it was less than a year ago then the garage concerned should be expecting a phone call...

ANDYJAKEMAN1
02-02-09, 21:10
Is your glo plug light illuminating. My brother who also has a T4 had a problem with his van a week back where the glo plug light wasnt lighting the AA guy who attended said it was a dodgy connection on the glo plug fuse.

StephenTazz
02-02-09, 21:49
Is your glo plug light illuminating. My brother who also has a T4 had a problem with his van a week back where the glo plug light wasnt lighting the AA guy who attended said it was a dodgy connection on the glo plug fuse.

yeah, those fuse links go brittle with age - if you need to replace one, replace all four (two small fuse boxes in the engine bay - one for the cooling fans, one for the glowplugs)

another issue I've had is the insulation on the link strip between the glowplugs breaking up - heat shrink solved that one...

crazyaboutmtb
02-02-09, 21:50
after reading through a few thread i think my MPG is also rather worrying. after working out how far my house to rest bay is, 54miles there and back, it uses 10 quid up on a good day for that journey sometimes 15quid. could it be that it just needs a good service? i also have a full camper interior, does the weight effect the MPG that much? my vans only on
75k at the mo and its got a FSH, the only thing that worries me is that i cant find whether the cam belts been changed, i bought it with 70k on the clock is that when the big service is due? sorry to hijack your thread

StephenTazz
02-02-09, 22:11
Cambelts are due at 60K or four years whichever comes first.

My 1.9TD has a high-top and full camper interior - I'm averaging about 35mpg...

... the cold weather will hurt fuel consumption - with the lights on, heater fan on, radio on, wipers on...

... the alternator will be working harder than usual = more load on the little engine, also the engine oil will be thicker (the 1.9 is prone to sludging up) too...

... I recommend changing to a 10/40 synthetic oil, or even one of the latest 5/40 low ash synthetic oils, but you will still need to change the oil every 6,000 miles (without using an engine flush)...

jonbott
12-02-09, 05:38
did you get it sorted?just worked out I got 100miles out of 30 on my 1.9td:(

gaz1973
12-02-09, 08:39
i get 70 miles out of my for a tener.. p power..less in town

So-Kal
12-02-09, 12:12
Wow - you guys have seriously got to get your injuns looked at!

I get (and have consistently got) 37/38mpg out of my 'PP'd' 1.9TD.

Prior to upping the fuel and boost, I got about 38/39, so the extra power has come with next to no mpg hit.

Around town, I get about 35/36 - or to put it another way, I have just got 236 miles (yellow light to yellow light - no not 100% accurate, but close enough) out of 30 (or 30 litres @ 99.9 p a litre).

The BIGGEST hit on fuel consumption (at least, for my engine and gearbox combo) is running on the motorway at speeds in excess of 65mph - as the revs that that equals simply kills the fuel consumption.

My best ever fuel figures (40+) were on the run over to get my R&R bed fitted, where the speed limits were 50mph virtually the entire way.

So - try slowing down just a bit and see what happens.... :)

jonbott
14-02-09, 19:08
Wow - you guys have seriously got to get your injuns looked at!

I get (and have consistently got) 37/38mpg out of my 'PP'd' 1.9TD.

Prior to upping the fuel and boost, I got about 38/39, so the extra power has come with next to no mpg hit.

Around town, I get about 35/36 - or to put it another way, I have just got 236 miles (yellow light to yellow light - no not 100% accurate, but close enough) out of 30 (or 30 litres @ 99.9 p a litre).

The BIGGEST hit on fuel consumption (at least, for my engine and gearbox combo) is running on the motorway at speeds in excess of 65mph - as the revs that that equals simply kills the fuel consumption.

My best ever fuel figures (40+) were on the run over to get my R&R bed fitted, where the speed limits were 50mph virtually the entire way.

So - try slowing down just a bit and see what happens.... :)

don`t drive over 70 anyway,going to get my van into richards bros local diesel place to get looked at strange thing is my van don`t smoke at all but around 17 mpg aint great:(

TonyR
14-02-09, 20:12
OK, took the beast into RK Engineering and had the punp timing set properly.

Now I am getting 60+ miles on 10 so around 10 miles more.

About right now I think.