T4s in the snow - whats yours like [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

T4s in the snow - whats yours like

veedubnut
02-02-09, 08:44
OK guys, well due to the weather in the UK ATM this is the first time I have driven my T4 in the snow.
Unladen!!

What are your experiences and photos?

Will report back later, but I dont think its going to be too much fun I:

a7eys
02-02-09, 10:33
SMASHED, do not do it mate. Its not worth it. My 200 a day earning have just been massively decreased and i now dont have a van and have to pay for it to be repaired. Looks like a week off work so I can get on with it.
What a BALL ACHE

veedubnut
02-02-09, 10:59
SMASHED, do not do it mate. Its not worth it. My 200 a day earning have just been massively decreased and i now dont have a van and have to pay for it to be repaired. Looks like a week off work so I can get on with it.
What a BALL ACHE

gutted :*
sorry to hear this mate. what happened?

Ive got to go out to deepest derbyshire in a minute so I will soon know how the van copes :eek:

AndyGG
02-02-09, 11:22
use mine in the snow quite a lot in the highlands. Much better than the car as the extra clearance is useful...been in around 2 ft snow and still ploughed through it. I've got winter tyres on so that might make a difference. Any vehicle is going to be on ice though!

bartonnic
02-02-09, 11:37
Didn,t dare take mine out this morning so went in my old Range Rover with A/T tyres. Good job as 5 mins down the road two people on the trot tried to wipe me out, don,t think i would have avoided them in the van, both of them just travelling far too fast for the conditions>:eek:

paul ss
02-02-09, 11:40
well i got the old school bmw out at 5am and went for a slide about for bit of fun while no one was around LOL:

fwd and snow is boring should try lwb sprinter and snow = lots of fun

cheekymonkey
02-02-09, 13:02
i had a right hoot... driving up & down the roads near me seeing how long i could hold the van in a drift for...
:ILU::ILU::ILU:

lots of people out there driving around not having a lcue abotu driving on snow... had someone come crusing out a side road straight into the main road in front of me (i predicted it so had slowed right down already

a7eys
02-02-09, 13:10
Sounds like you had a right blast. Wish I could have said they same about my short journey this morning. What happened was some lady spun out into my path and SMACK, BOOM, BASH, WALLOP in the words of Batman.
Not a pretty site, a big old T4 implanted into the side of a PUG 306
Gotta see the funny side of it though. Apart from the damage no one was hurt so its a case of fixing her up now. At least mine is mendable, not like the 306 that has now been hit by me and 2 others.
I will post pics later so all can see.
Enjoy the snow responsible, thats what i would say. BLAH BLAH BLAH

oddboy
02-02-09, 13:15
with 275 wide tyres mines staying on the drive, the wife has had to have a day off as i have nicked her X3(well its mine really anyway)

ahay!
02-02-09, 13:17

........Parked I:

nealglover
02-02-09, 14:06
just back frm the Alps and drove in a LOT of snow.

had some Snow Socks on above about 1000m but below that didnt need them, the van was great. In Bourg st Maurice there was at least 50cm of snow on the friday we arrived and there were cars stranded all over the place, we cruised straight through and up the mountain (got all the fresh Pow to ourselves :D)

150cm of snow in 4 days up the Mountain, and the Van was fine all week with the Snow socks on.

My main worry about driving in snow in this country though would be all the other nutters on the road who only drive in snow about an hour a year.

mine is now parked as I dont fancy it being rammed off the road.

a7eys
02-02-09, 16:52
just back frm the Alps and drove in a LOT of snow.

had some Snow Socks on above about 1000m but below that didnt need them, the van was great. In Bourg st Maurice there was at least 50cm of snow on the friday we arrived and there were cars stranded all over the place, we cruised straight through and up the mountain (got all the fresh Pow to ourselves :D)

150cm of snow in 4 days up the Mountain, and the Van was fine all week with the Snow socks on.

My main worry about driving in snow in this country though would be all the other nutters on the road who only drive in snow about an hour a year.

mine is now parked as I dont fancy it being rammed off the road.

I agree with you comments Mr Glover. Been driving i severe snow for years and taking long driving trips far into the Alps and Prynees and not had any bother in any car or van for that matter, however although I was the one to smash into the side of someone today, after a car spins out in front of you its often very hard to stop let alone when there is a bad case of ice under foot.
TAKE IT AS GOOD ADVISE, Never be too careful in these condition as other peoples driving behaviours can never be taken for granted and accounted for.
Best of luck all T4 girls and boys. I hope no-one else suffers the same fate as I have today. T:
:ILU:

big bazza
02-02-09, 16:59
mine is really good in the snow seems to get really good traction compared to a lot of motors ive had

t4toad
02-02-09, 18:15
Left mine on the drive today then i made a snow van with the kids. Just a bit of snow fun LOL:LOL:
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo170/t4toad/100_0206.jpg
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo170/t4toad/100_0208.jpg
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo170/t4toad/100_0200.jpg

Bluehawk
02-02-09, 18:19
Not as much fun as I thought it would be. Not easy to get a good power slide going, unless you give the handbrake a little yank. But only when there are no curbs to smack or cars to pile into! Won't try again as I'll end up crashing - but game on in the wife's car!I:

Southern Softie
02-02-09, 18:51
Snow is no fun at all in a lowered T4 with grippy V patten treads THAT DONT GRIP IN THE SNOW AT ALL !!!!!!!!!! :eek::(
Slid off on a tight bend at the top of hill I was negotiating I: and kerbbed my split rim BBS's good and proper A: not a happy bunny

BIGBALL
02-02-09, 19:38
Left the dub at home and told the bread knife not to drive it or i'll break her f**k**g nose t:. Took my mk4 xr3i instead, how cool am i? Did some nice power slides in liskeard t:t::ilu:

paul ss
02-02-09, 19:48
edited as got wrong end of stick

BIGBALL
02-02-09, 19:56
I was only joking :( but she know better T:

paul ss
02-02-09, 19:58
its alright i probaly got wrong end of the stick aint slept in few days LOL:

marco
02-02-09, 20:02
My T4 drives a lot better in the snow than the volvo I drove today does. Last lot of snow I had a play in the car park next to work and had great fun, with plenty of grip even on tyres with only 2-3mm tread left on the front. Today did same in the volvo and no traction at all, couldn't stop either and ended up with abs on full and skidding into a curb, thankfully no damage but I'll stick to playing in my van in future.

BIGBALL
02-02-09, 21:26
BEEN ON NIGHTS TOO! DONT REALLY KNOCK HER ABOUT, LOVE HER TO BITS! SICK SENCE OF HUMOUR I SUPPOSE XXXXX:mw:mw

lardyb
02-02-09, 21:51
Snow tyres put on sunday after the south wales meet (snows are on steelies)
shovel in the back next to the chains. fingers crossed school is closed tomorrow and I can go play in the hills

ELVIS-DONT-SURF
02-02-09, 21:57
Live about 3k from the top of Garreg Lwyd ( A paltry 616m ). If you squint you can just about make out Fan Fawr above my wing mirror and Pen y Fan/Corn Du above my aerial in the distance!

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f262/ELVISISGOD/SNOW02-02-09030.jpg

tidytransporters
02-02-09, 21:59
Snow is no fun at all in a lowered T4 with grippy V patten treads THAT DONT GRIP IN THE SNOW AT ALL !!!!!!!!!! :eek::(
Slid off on a tight bend at the top of hill I was negotiating I: and kerbbed my split rim BBS's good and proper A: not a happy bunny

Just kerbed my ascari cuervo's :*:*:*:*:*:*:* love the snow but :* it

the Green Geko
02-02-09, 22:10
Live about 3k from the top of Garreg Lwyd ( A paltry 616m ). If you squint you can just about make out Fan Fawr above my wing mirror and Pen y Fan/Corn Du above my aerial in the distance!

Is that your van with the new tyres??? which ones did you go for??

Oh and my vans being firmly parked up, being re doing allmy elecs, but not much snow here in sunny Stoke anyway :D

ELVIS-DONT-SURF
02-02-09, 22:16
ooops , sorry , im a biff! These are the fellas , 215/60 16s. Kuhmo XL. VERY impressed with them so far. Have done snow, very wet roads and driven them 'enthusiastically' in the dry.Excellent grip/performance and very quiet on the road.

veedubnut
03-02-09, 00:12
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo170/t4toad/100_0200.jpg

:DT:

nice one mate A:

That looks excellent!

veedubnut
03-02-09, 00:17
Well, after a marathon journey in my trusty T4, I can say she got me home safe and warm, but with a few scares on the way :eek:

My tyres have got tonnes of tread but certain types of road (downhill cambered corners particularly) were a little scary.

and yes, Im a decent driver and have driven quite a lot in snow (owned a load of BMs) so I know what sliding is about.!!!!

The T4 got up (and down) some monster hills I was surprised at, but at times the experience was a bit scary LOL:

I think this may be due to the beast being completely empty in the back as Im about to insulate and reboard her etc/ so the lack of weight cant have helped at the back.

But still, I will be in her tomorrow and have learned her quirks in the snow so it should be a good one for part 2 ... unless it all melts tonite of course I: T:

LittleKatie
03-02-09, 00:25
Great fun in the snow spinning round in circles etc.
Having a mile of open runway with no kirbs though..
and no aircraft to worry about while the weather's bad ;)

Katie.

Rising Sun Campers
03-02-09, 07:11
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll48/georgyboywonder/LVP/DSC00352.jpg

Safe on the Drive

yoshiman
03-02-09, 09:12
Pants!!!

For the 1st time ever in various cars and vans my T4 failed to make it up a hill:(

Just couldn't get any traction at all and gradually came to a halt. Everything else made it up the hill even after stopping because I was in the way. Had to carefully roll back down the hill and turn it round.

Think it was because of a lack of weight at the front as its a bit 'nose high' - going to sort out the suspension as its not going to happen again!

L-REX
03-02-09, 09:54
Parked the van up & went sledging please can we have some more snow

Conspiracy
03-02-09, 16:01
Never ever again will I take mine out in the snow :*

Today, coming down a hill on a small country lane, the traction went :eek: I was a mere passenger waiting for the worst to happen as the speed rose and the granite hedges got closer. Someone was looking out for me though and with a 4ft patch of wet road, I slammed on the brakes and handbrake is she spun 180 to a stop :* I thought the in thing was gonna turn over & me heart was gonna drop out me butt I:

I got her facing the right way again, down the hill, when I saw a lady holding her hand up :confused: She was telling me to wait as a BMW had stoved it into her wall and they were trying to get it out. Me in my wisdom thought, no problem, I will have a rollie to calm me nerves and put the handbrake on :*:*:* Off I went again :eek: all 4 wheels locked goin this way, that way & sideways, heading straight for the BMW :eek::eek::eek: The lady jumped over her wall, her husband stood on the wall and the BMW's occupants just saw a big blue van heading straight at them :jd Same person was still looking out for me, I kept getting little bits of traction and squeezed between the granite wall and the BMW ;)

Never ever again, sooooooo close to smashing the van up :( A big :ILU: to the Van God looking out for me today A:

Chris (now home safe with beer in hand :D)

rocketron
03-02-09, 17:35
drove mine today and it was fine. i guess even the simplist things can be dangerous in the wrong hands a chris.Rasp: and im talking about your van not your wee man.LOL: god i crack me up.LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:

Mad Aly
03-02-09, 18:47
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w240/MadAlys-pics/008.jpg[/IMG]Went to work yesterday she wasnt too bad, Today we stayed home the road were Lethal blackice underneath heavy snow.

jettagolf
03-02-09, 18:55
my 2.4d t4 was fantastic in the snow no problems at all, good traction, steady i felt very safe in mine

veedubnut
03-02-09, 20:22
Never ever again will I take mine out in the snow :*

Today, coming down a hill on a small country lane, the traction went :eek: I was a mere passenger waiting for the worst to happen as the speed rose and the granite hedges got closer. Someone was looking out for me though and with a 4ft patch of wet road, I slammed on the brakes and handbrake is she spun 180 to a stop :* I thought the in thing was gonna turn over & me heart was gonna drop out me butt I:

I got her facing the right way again, down the hill, when I saw a lady holding her hand up :confused: She was telling me to wait as a BMW had stoved it into her wall and they were trying to get it out. Me in my wisdom thought, no problem, I will have a rollie to calm me nerves and put the handbrake on :*:*:* Off I went again :eek: all 4 wheels locked goin this way, that way & sideways, heading straight for the BMW :eek::eek::eek: The lady jumped over her wall, her husband stood on the wall and the BMW's occupants just saw a big blue van heading straight at them :jd Same person was still looking out for me, I kept getting little bits of traction and squeezed between the granite wall and the BMW ;)

Never ever again, sooooooo close to smashing the van up :( A big :ILU: to the Van God looking out for me today A:

Chris (now home safe with beer in hand :D)

Sounds a bit wild!!!
What alloys are you running on the beast though? and wide tyres as well Im guessing??

if so that could be why!!!??
Mines on the stock steelies at the moment and I have to say she did me proud today now Im familiar with how she slides LOL:

Part 2 of the mission

I was driving back from deepest Derbyshire where I had been working and made one of those decisions that youve got a bad feeling about, but do it anyway :D (well I do!!)

Started up this big hill that goes off into the middle of nowhere, and then through the moorlands to bring me back to civilisation, once Id started up the hill there was no turning back, Id have never got going again and the road is narrow and no way could I have turned around there :eek:

So I kept her in 2nd and 3rd for some parts..... because I was the only one daft enough to try it there was no other cars about for the first few miles.
I got to the top where it levels out and it was just rock solid snow with ice under, so I kept going really steadily and then I saw a set of lights.... It was a guy in a land Rover defender and he gave me a big thumbs up!!! Was clearly surprised to see another vehicle up there, let alone a T4 LOL:

Took it very steady down the hill on the other side and made it to the main road, that had been gritted and boy, was that a pleasing thing to see LOL:

Conspiracy
03-02-09, 20:40
Ya not wrong m8, dropped, 18's & 235's, was telleing Rocketron earlier that I was following a transit milkfloat, I was prayin for dear life that the van wouldnt let go and he was driving like it was a hot summers day :eek:

Gonna have mares about it tonight, I know I am :D

Take it easy all

Cheers

Chris :ILU:

Scooterdoc
03-02-09, 20:41
Drove from Exeter to birmingham and back yesterday no probs, and this morning when it had frozen too, I was driving up hills that a lot of cars couldn't get up .

Impressed

I was genuinely amazed at the total stupidity of some people though :confused:

Bertros
03-02-09, 20:51
Just nipped out for fuel going to work tomorrow :(.. My neighbour was trying to run up the shared drive with no luck... I rolled down he was shouting and spinning not happy.. Came back and he was taking a run up...from across the road.... oh oh oh no there he goes sliding back down... I thought oh well never mind park on the street... I will give it just one try.. drove straight up not a problem :) he was :*ed.... Vans may be on the snow but they are sure better than M3 BMW's :D

Its not a High top

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x71/bertros/IMG_0172.jpg

Thats the roof

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x71/bertros/IMG_0173.jpg

veedubnut
04-02-09, 01:12
Drove from Exeter to birmingham and back yesterday no probs, and this morning when it had frozen too, I was driving up hills that a lot of cars couldn't get up .

Impressed

I was genuinely amazed at the total stupidity of some people though :confused:

I agree!!!
Snow just shows how some drivers are :* and the stupidity of some people is unbearable LOL:

veedubnut
04-02-09, 01:16
Ya not wrong m8, dropped, 18's & 235's, was telleing Rocketron earlier that I was following a transit milkfloat, I was prayin for dear life that the van wouldnt let go and he was driving like it was a hot summers day :eek:

Gonna have mares about it tonight, I know I am :D

Take it easy all

Cheers

Chris :ILU:

Thats yer answer then mate :D

Get yourself some winter steels and put winter tyres on them....

You wont be half as scared driving your T4 then ;)

04-02-09, 09:18
Hi All,

Drove my trusting syncro from Cornwall to London late Sunday night / early Monday morning. I stopped to offer help to others in Jags and porsches and the like who couldn't get traction. I could pull up next to them offer the help and then just trundle off.

Came back from London Monday night and got held up behind a jacknifed lorry on the A303. With the help of google maps I took to the surrounding lanes, some hadnt been driven on and up to 15% inclines and declines and the van didnt sweat it.

I'm now going to treat the ole girl to some bodywork and mechanicals that are long over due as a reward.

I managed to do 6 hours work at a bank in the city that some people who only had 30 mins to travel didnt make it in! But then they might not of had a syncro to play with.... fools!

djsvw
04-02-09, 12:50
here's mine in the snow:

http://danseymour.blogspot.com/

http://danseymour.blogspot.com/

don't know if the link will work, but sure you can sort it.

oddboy
04-02-09, 15:58
tried to park the van on a slight slope today and it kept slideing down it:(

clintharshaw
05-02-09, 06:55
not going to work today
mine is now parked
thought it is too much to risk some idiot smashing into my van for the sake of staying home for one day.
snow today in bristol where i live at least is quite bad.
tried leaving to go to work and the van kept sliding when i used the brakes so feet up and take it easy for the day

jontee
05-02-09, 15:04
i've used my van for the first time in a few months this week in the snow, it started first time, and then got me to work without any issues at all, it's better to drive in the snow than any of the cars i've had, shame it's up for sale now. :blg
it's a sad day

West Stabbo Customs
05-02-09, 15:29
I've been using mine for work since i blew the turbo on my Bora, its been fantastic i've been round derbyshire twice so far this week, Ripley and Kirkby in Trashfield today and havnt got stuck once however a Range Rover following me this morning did A:A:A:LOL:LOL:H: T4's RRRRRRRROCK 215's and lowered I:

evilwil
05-02-09, 16:11
Well mine's safely under a dry car port and thats where its staying, until the ice :* off anyway.

polosteve
05-02-09, 16:57
Parked :)

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/6681/snowvannj7.jpg

Suposed to be driving to brizzle tommorow at 4, hopefully the snow will be gone.

nwilko
05-02-09, 19:07
great...
had the fsat lane of the inner ringroad in Cov this morning all to myslef, fresh untouched snow this morning, flew past everyone in cars + a range rover and a freelander all crawling at 15mph.. Well impressed with the amount of grip the vans got, although im running 55profile commercial tyres hence the treads pretty chunky. Need to get the van washed this weekend before i head off to northern Canada for 3 weeks to really freeze my ass off, it was -35c last night:eek:

tonyr1664
05-02-09, 19:43
Started good as gold and was cool and the gang A:
polosteve those AMGs look v nice

todd14
05-02-09, 21:25
https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/picture.php?albumid=387&pictureid=1984

T4Canuck
06-02-09, 03:45
great...
had the fsat lane of the inner ringroad in Cov this morning all to myslef, fresh untouched snow this morning, flew past everyone in cars + a range rover and a freelander all crawling at 15mph.. Well impressed with the amount of grip the vans got, although im running 55profile commercial tyres hence the treads pretty chunky. Need to get the van washed this weekend before i head off to northern Canada for 3 weeks to really freeze my ass off, it was -35c last night:eek:

Where abouts in Northern Canada are you heading?:eek::eek:

durrsaku
06-02-09, 06:05
Well, having driven cars with traction control and abs, i tell you the van is absolutely rubish at these conditions. The back site goes too easely out of joint and the front, well i have had two near misses on black ice so far. One of them worse than the other, had it not been for the high pavement that stoped her, i don't know what i would have done.
I am extra careful at driving but the T4 just does not fill me with confidence at all in these conditions.:(

clintharshaw
06-02-09, 07:00
another day of work today
yest was fun building a snow man with my little girl but today it is annoying
https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/picture.php?albumid=366&pictureid=1985

smithysmoo
06-02-09, 08:53
Mine seems to go well, extra clearance over a car and weight help I think also being diesal.

T4-JayValet
06-02-09, 09:25
mine rocks in the snow.....

steels,slammed bit of weight in the back... 6inches of fresh snow yesterday, up hill and down..

only slipped when i wanted it too...

surfmatt
06-02-09, 09:33
i lost it today hit the curb and did a 180. no damage!

T4-JayValet
06-02-09, 10:26
i lost it today hit the curb and did a 180. no damage!

lucky escape mate....I:

nwilko
06-02-09, 10:56
T4Canuck,
Thompson, Manitoba..

glowing refered to as the armpit of the world in the office...

days off are so exciting the last team went into work to avoid boredom.

should be great fun, going to try some Ice road driving A:

bullfrog
06-02-09, 15:30
took the wife to work monday as she was nervous of driving in it. lots of smashes near us .
Best to stay at home or make other arrangments.
more on the way .

Its a shame this country seems unable to cope with these conditions. The lack of grit in some counties is concerning as its predicted that we face a bleak few weeks

slammedviper
06-02-09, 20:54
went up to Dartmoor today in the van... was insane driving down little back roads covered in snow.. van held up well... back slipped out a couple of times... awesome fun...

Gotta love the back roads of Dartmoor... T:

colese
06-02-09, 21:27
Ripped me spoiler clean off today,number 3 on order.:ILU:

slammedviper
06-02-09, 23:20
Ripped me spoiler clean off today,number 3 on order.:ILU:

ha ha... its like having a snow plow on the front!!! Anything above 4 inches gets clipped!!!

Reno
09-02-09, 11:46
another day of work today
yest was fun building a snow man with my little girl but today it is annoying
https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/picture.php?albumid=366&pictureid=1985

Have I seen your van parked on Gloucester Road outside/near Tintos Lounge?

I'm a bit late with these pics but hey:

First day of snow:
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f344/Reno49/P1000217.jpg

Second day of snow:
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f344/Reno49/P1000224.jpg

Third day of snow (thats more like it! :D) :
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f344/Reno49/P1000235.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f344/Reno49/P1000234.jpg