Service History book/intervals [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Service History book/intervals

Spooky
02-02-09, 15:59
Hi, can anyone tell me if it is a) possible and b) if so where from, I can get a replacement service history book?
Mines missing, an ddue to do it 50K service so thought I had best get one, so I can atleast keep a record from this point on?

Also can anyone tell me what needs doing on the 50K service? I'll be skipping the 3 belts as had them replaced last year when I got the van.

Many thanks, Jon

ELVIS-DONT-SURF
02-02-09, 17:36
Local VW van centre. They will be able to order a new blank and print off service history/stamp book up/authenticate 'reprint'.

StephenTazz
03-02-09, 22:01
Your local dealer will not and should not stamp your new service book if they didn't do the services...

... if your van has a dealer service history they can print off a "dialogue" sheet from VW's centralized database showing when the last dealer service was entered onto the system, if you ask them nicely...

Your van may have done only 50,000 miles but is it 5 years old?

Late vans (2000 on) could have Variable servicing (great for long distance vehicles) or Time and Distance (best for low to average mileage vehicles) servicing - by now most T4's will have "defaulted" to Time and Distance servicing:

For all T4's (except the 1.9 diesels) every 10,000 miles or yearly (1.9 diesels are every 6,000 miles) - 1998 on models have a service indictator in the mileage display.

10,000 miles - 1st Lubrication / 1st Annual (1.3 hrs) service (engine oil and filter)
20,000 miles - 1st Major / 2nd Annual (1.6 hrs) service (engine oil, oil filter and pollen filter(s), drain off diesel fuel filter)
30,000 miles - 3rd Lubrication / 3rd Annual service
40,000 miles - 2nd Major / 4th Annual (1.9 hrs) service (+ air filter and diesel fuel filter, check transmission oil levels + Cambelt*)
50,000 miles - 5th Lubrication / 5th Annual service
60,000 miles - 3rd Major / 6th Annual service (as per 1st Major service + Cambelt* if not done at 4 years)
70,000 miles - 7th Lubrication / 7th Annual service
80,000 miles - 4th Major / 8th Annual service (as per 2nd Major service + petrol fuel filter - my recommendation, as they can corrode and leak)
and so the cycle continues (Variable servicing basically cuts out the Lubrication services, but special 0/30 or 5/30 (i.e very thin) Longlife oils are required)...

* Cambelt and tensioner to be changed every 60,000 miles or 4 years (whichever comes first = 120,000 miles / 8 years; 180,000 miles / 12 years; 240,000 miles / 16 years, etc)

Brake fluid should be changed every 2 years

If your van has blue G11 antifreeze it should be changed every 2 years - red G12 antifreeze is phosphate free and organic and put in for life but should be checked for strength (to -25 celcius) annually and replenished as required (aftermarket equivalents do recommend a full change every 5 years)

Helpful hint - Blue and red antifreeze should not be mixed, although you may find it more cost effective to change from blue to red for it's improved anti corrosion properties (alloy cylinder head / cast iron engine block)!!!

Power steering fluid is either red Dexron III oil (pre 98?) or green Mineral oil (post 98?) depending on age which should not be mixed - either way the level should be checked and topped up if required - the cap should tell you if mineral oil is used

Only VW specific gear oils should be used for topping up...

For older vehicles each service should be a full Inspection service - VW used to call them Annual services - where the vehicle is thoroughly checked over (a VW Lubrication service is just that - a 30 minute engine oil and filter replacement, nothing else!)

VW started doing a free Express Visual Check (it takes at least 15 minutes) to counter this glaring (my view) shortfall, bringing the Lub service into line with standards of servicing offered by most independent garages (again my view, having worked in both sectors)...

ELVIS-DONT-SURF
03-02-09, 22:14
Your local dealer will not and should not stamp your new service book if they didn't do the services...

I:

Certain VAG Main Dealer in Devon whom ordered new SH book , printed off VAG SH , copied all service dates/milages across into new book. Signed and dated every entry with the days date they 'made' the new SH book. They also added the dealership number who did the service into every box.Service print out was stapled into inside front cover.

By the sounds of it , not 100% according to VAG 'rules' BUT.............

100% transparent , anyone checking the book had a very easy to follow boggo standard SH along with all the info needed to prove/corroborate it was not a moody ' home made' book.

Sounds like i was lucky and had a dealership who had particularly good customer services:)

Spooky
04-02-09, 09:11
Hi Charlie, thanks for that info :)

Not after retro-spec signing off, just so I can keep a correct service history as of now, not a big issue as its the 50k service, so not much had been done before anyway.

All 3 belts were changed at 42K when I purchased the van just to be sure, so shoudl be just lubes for me :)
But if I cant get them to check previous history, then I'll get them to do a 40k service with all the filters etc to.

Anyone got an idea on price?

Thanks, Jon

StephenTazz
10-02-09, 22:43
I:

Certain VAG Main Dealer in Devon whom ordered new SH book , printed off VAG SH , copied all service dates/milages across into new book. Signed and dated every entry with the days date they 'made' the new SH book. They also added the dealership number who did the service into every box.Service print out was stapled into inside front cover.

By the sounds of it , not 100% according to VAG 'rules' BUT.............

100% transparent , anyone checking the book had a very easy to follow boggo standard SH along with all the info needed to prove/corroborate it was not a moody ' home made' book.

Sounds like i was lucky and had a dealership who had particularly good customer services:)

They didn't use their own stamp, then - just filled in dates and mileages to correspond with the list they obtained.

It's not just a VW thing - every garage on earth shouldn't stamp books for services they haven't done for two reasons...

it could be fraudulent
it puts them in the firing line should anything go wrong

ELVIS-DONT-SURF
10-02-09, 23:00
Gotcha! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO , they didnt stamp it to say they did it .
Was signed/stamped in a way to (1) confirm that all SH had been done by VAG-even adding 'dealer number' where appropriate (2) Was very open/honest/transparent/obvious showing it was a 'new' SH but all evidence was there to prove it was a genuine 'remake' and could be corroborated.

StephenTazz
11-02-09, 21:14
Gotcha! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO , they didnt stamp it to say they did it .
Was signed/stamped in a way to (1) confirm that all SH had been done by VAG-even adding 'dealer number' where appropriate (2) Was very open/honest/transparent/obvious showing it was a 'new' SH but all evidence was there to prove it was a genuine 'remake' and could be corroborated.

Everyone's a winner, then T:

Jono
12-02-09, 15:32
I've just had a 120k service done at Salisbury Heritage VW, I'm a little confused so came online to track some info. I can't help feeling bummed when I hand over 175 for what appears to be an oil change, car wash and hoover? I tracked through my service book (this cost me 8 for four pages as my original is full!)

If I read correctly the 120k should be a major service? all I've had changed is the oil filter? not fuel or air? these were not done last year either? When I asked about these Mr Attratasmack smugly told me the engineers would have spotted something like that.

Then to top off the rip off factor the dude said I needed my brake fluid changing (24mths) I informed im that his garage did it last year?!! Just get the feeling the service isn't as professional as you'd expect it:(

I'd like some feedback please as if anything is a miss I'm gonna get myself backdown to his Intray!

Cheers

Jono.T:

Big Bad Bear
12-02-09, 15:45
I've just had a 120k service done at Salisbury Heritage VW, I'm a little confused so came online to track some info. I can't help feeling bummed when I hand over 175 for what appears to be an oil change, car wash and hoover? I tracked through my service book (this cost me 8 for four pages as my original is full!)

If I read correctly the 120k should be a major service? all I've had changed is the oil filter? not fuel or air? these were not done last year either? When I asked about these Mr Attratasmack smugly told me the engineers would have spotted something like that.

Then to top off the rip off factor the dude said I needed my brake fluid changing (24mths) I informed im that his garage did it last year?!! Just get the feeling the service isn't as professional as you'd expect it:(

I'd like some feedback please as if anything is a miss I'm gonna get myself backdown to his Intray!

Cheers

Jono.T:

Hiya Jono, gotta say mate I now always travel down to our resident main dealer in Maidenhead he only does what is needed and at the rates they charge it's worth the diesel

Dazboi
12-02-09, 16:50
Hiya Jono, gotta say mate I now always travel down to our resident main dealer in Maidenhead he only does what is needed and at the rates they charge it's worth the diesel

we can only advise what is due, in essence its your van, if you say no im sorry i only want an oil change done etc etc then thats your choice as the owner, it may effect your warranty if its not serviced according to manufacturers recommendation but once outside warranty parameters the decision is yours

Jono
12-02-09, 18:28
we can only advise what is due, in essence its your van, if you say no im sorry i only want an oil change done etc etc then thats your choice as the owner, it may effect your warranty if its not serviced according to manufacturers recommendation but once outside warranty parameters the decision is yours

I think I've been completely (mis-advised), I asked the desk jockey in servicing what was due and he said the engineer would sort that out from my very plain english servicing booklet (Am I wrong to trust a so called expert?)
I'm heading back to Heritage Salisbury first thing in the morning, after reading through my service booklet I found that the following should be carried out every 40k, my van has just had it's 120k service....40-80-120? am I missing something?

1. Air cleaner element renewed and box cleaned NOT DONE
2. Oil level in Gearbox checked and topped up as necessary NOT DONE
3. Fuel filter renewed NOT DONE

Now, I'm not a professional by any means when it comes to mechanics hence when I take my vehicle to get the golden servicing stamp I expect a professional to look at my bus in a professional manner.:*

I am not a happy bunny at all tonight, none of those items have been replaced so I could easily drive away with half a job had I not noticed on the paperwork. Bloody !

Jono.

PS: I'll update this later on tomorrow when I return from the dealership.:*:*:*