Diagnostics for a 92 Multivan???? [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Diagnostics for a 92 Multivan????

Dermot
03-02-09, 10:24
Hi all

Can anybody tell me what diagnostic tools i can use for my 92 T4 Multivan, got it from Germany and wanted to potter around the vehicle myself rather than let the unenlightened poke at it like some teenager down the back of a disco:cool:

I got vag and after i set it up i connected it and it said its not compatable with my van.

Is there any other Diagnostics i can use for it? as i learnt OBDII doesnt work on vans pre 96 thats the cable from another set of cables to go into my computer.

My connection is a 2x2 for diagnostics.

I bought this vag on Ebay from China so dont know if it was the proper stuff like think it was just a bit of shareware.

Can anybody point me in the direction of the right stuff?

Dermot
03-02-09, 20:29
Well anybody?

paul ss
03-02-09, 20:34
didnt think vans before 95/96 came with ecu :confused:

StephenTazz
03-02-09, 20:36
That would be for some old dealer kit - that they've probably forgotten how to use anyway...

... I saw it once lurking at the back of the tool cupboard - looked positively prehistoric and scary...

Is your Multivan petrol or diesel?

Dermot
03-02-09, 21:01
That would be for some old dealer kit - that they've probably forgotten how to use anyway...

... I saw it once lurking at the back of the tool cupboard - looked positively prehistoric and scary...

Is your Multivan petrol or diesel?

Mine is a petrol 2l i lived in Germany for about 3 years and since ive come back to Ireland its been a nightmare.

It was perfect til it came to Ireland, i tell thee, it was like a nervous horse comin off the boat it knew there was danger ahead, the mechanics here are butchers, the main dealers arent much better.

Its hard to find a good man that knows what hes lookin at, plus i want to do a bit myself, learn more about my van as we all do.

It aint bad just alot of small things,

Theres a 2x2 plug in for the diagnostics im not a full memeber to put up pics but if you go to www.vagdrivers.net im in members rides there under Dermot.

Oh and i bought a manual from Germany but obvioulsy lads its in German lotsa pics though and VAG codes

StephenTazz
03-02-09, 22:16
Most running problems on the 2-litre that aren't ignition (cap rotor arm and leads)related are either down to split vacuum pipes and breather hoses, or a choked up throttle body...

... a visit to local Bosch agent may be beneficial...

Dermot
04-02-09, 09:32
As far as i remember the throttle body was cleaned out there a couple of weeks ago.

Silly me let a local guy take the bus away before Christmas, I was really busy and i hadnt got time to look at it and i didnt want the non starting van sitting there over XMAS so i told these guys to take her away sort it out and do the timing belt at the same time.

He told me just as well that i wanted to get the timing done as there were 5 teeth gone on it and he had never seen so many teeth gone and the engine not destroyed.

After i got it back the power sucked, and i had to go back time and time again, he cut the pipe after the air regulator and taped it back up, im told this affected the power.

I went back to the Garage and he said oh your valves must be bent due to the timing problem previous, i would have to have an engine rebuild.

So i spoke with a few of you guys on here and was told go back and do a compression test which he did and it was about 8.5 which was suppose to be ok.

Turns out he had no timing light to check the timing or diagnostics for this bus, I had to go to a seperate mechanic to get the timing light done and do fault checks/diagnostics.

I had to go back like 5 times and i still havent had the other faults repaired by them, They "fixed" the timing then replaces the air pipe, but the power is still slightly off its better but a little off

I put it down to being a 92 and old.

Put it this way it doesnt run as smooth as it did before i had it done, after the throttle body was cleaned it makes a horrible sound but the car doesnt threaten to cut out anymore when were about to come to a stop, sometimes she sounded like she was cuttin out coming to a stop in traffic but he cleaned the throttle body and the problem went but a horrible noise came with it, not a racket just a strange noise.

Anyway after that episode i swore id learn more about my bus.

StephenTazz
04-02-09, 19:18
Is the tickover okay?

The distributor which also includes the firing trigger (i.e crankshaft position sensor) is driven from the cambelt - do all the timing marks line up?

The 2.0 litre is not a "safe" engine - so a broken cambelt will bend valves.

Your funny noise might be from the cambelt being too tight (did they replace the tensioner?)

Also check for leaking air and vacuum hoses around the air cleaner...

Dermot
04-02-09, 19:33
Is the tickover okay?

The distributor which also includes the firing trigger (i.e crankshaft position sensor) is driven from the cambelt - do all the timing marks line up?

The 2.0 litre is not a "safe" engine - so a broken cambelt will bend valves.

Your funny noise might be from the cambelt being too tight (did they replace the tensioner?)

Also check for leaking air and vacuum hoses around the air cleaner...

Wow thats alot of info, ive had two mechanics at it and one gave me the faults on it using diagnostics, the original guy didnt have a timing light to check the timing so i went to the other guy and he timed it out and said 2250rpm is -2.4 should be at 6 timing was off so i went back to the other garage and they "fixed it"

The faults were

Fuel trim polentiometer
Throttle position sensor
manifold absolute pressure sensor
engine coolant sensor, which ive ordered and changed
intake air temp sensor

I went back to the other garage and showed this and i was told well we are really busy but they mechanic got back to me and told me he had no diagnostics for my van to check the faults.

so they havent been fixed really i suppose id better get back to the other mechanic but its costing me alot of money, paid 590 insurance today, tax also in a week or two will be another 590 and i paid last month 590 for the timing belt.

I have to go back to the other garage i know but its an expensive thing.

StephenTazz
04-02-09, 21:03
went back to the other garage and they "fixed it"

The faults were

Fuel trim polentiometer
Throttle position sensor
manifold absolute pressure sensor
engine coolant sensor, which ive ordered and changed
intake air temp sensor

I went back to the other garage and showed this and i was told well we are really busy but they mechanic got back to me and told me he had no diagnostics for my van to check the faults.

so they havent been fixed really i suppose id better get back to the other mechanic but its costing me alot of money, paid 590 insurance today, tax also in a week or two will be another 590 and i paid last month 590 for the timing belt.

It's odd that virtually all the sensors have come up as faulty - the split intake pipe may have caused most of those faults - now that has been changed (satisfactorily with no air leaks?) the faults must be cleared from the ECU's memory

I've changed throttle position sensors (otherwise known as Throttle Potentiometers - the copper track wears out) on MK3 GTI's (they have Digifant Injection too) that have had hesitation problems...

... fuel trim could be caused by a partially blocked fuel filter, which will also cause hesitation by fuel starvation - is the servicing up together? (i.e air filter, fuel filter, plugs, leads, distributor cap and rotor arm). Starting with these basic items - only replacing as required - is often the route of a problem (when a car fails an emissions test, most of the time it only needs a good service) - assuming that you haven't followed this avenue already.

Air and vacuum leaks will also make the engine performance feel flat, by varying degrees depending on how bad the leak is, so check out those breather hoses (they go mushy, implode and/or split)...

and...

How much was that Cambelt? That's Euros, right (?) including the throttle body clean?

Did they take it off to clean it thoroughly or just squirt carb cleaner down it? Did they pour fuel system cleaning additive in the fuel tank to clean through the injectors, etc?

Those guys should be bending over themselves to get you back on track - even if you have to pay for the parts that actually fix the problem (that they didn't break), it should be with free diagnosis and fitting, as they haven't fixed your problem...

Dermot
04-02-09, 21:40
The bus had one owner from new when i bought it and had a full German VW service history so it was well looked after and i have to say its been bang on until a few mechanics over here have been on it.

I dont hesitate to spend money or care and attention on this bus but it can be a drain physically and emotionally (sounds weird) to do all this and then family etc etc but we do drive to France and Germany in this Bus so we like to look after it so it looks after us it is as the name says a multivan.

I feel like im repeating myself and hope im not peein anybody off with my story but basicly B4 xmas one very cold sat morn a very cold snap hit, I sraped the ice off the bus and got in and started it, turned the heat up turn the de-icer(rear window) on turned the radio on put the foot down 3 times in nuetral to rev the engine up for heat she cut out and wouldnt start again, it was just b4 xmas i was busy and it was hard to find a mechanic so i knew it was the cold snap and prob spark leads needin done but i was so busy i got it taken away and told the lads do the timing belt also as i couldnt remember it being done.

They did it and came back lower power, after i came back a day or two the lad said to me oh it must be bent valves as there were 5 teeth gone on the belt so he said it needs an engine rebuild, after i talked on here and other sites i was told go back and ask for a compression test which i did and he said yeah its ok, then we need to come back and do the timing and replace the pipe he cut when he took the head cover off, it was just a whole loada and i dont really want to go back there,

Basicly i had to involve a second mechanic as they didnt have a timing light to do the timing correction. they did it then and say the timing is perfect and replaced the pipe he had cut,

Sorry i know that was long. I hope the sensor issue was also that the pipe had been cut he had blanked the pipe off on the other side of the air regulator after it but he left the engine head with a hole going into the engine so i hope that caused the diagnostics to give bad readings.

In all it had cost me for new spark leads and a timing belt change about 600 he cleaned the throttle body for free, well maybe it wasnt the throttle body it was where one of the air pipes on the top of the engine goes into a metal thingy! :confused: theres usually a heap loada sut in it and has to be cleaned now and then so he did that and she doesnt try to stall when coming to a stop anymore.

This is all very confusin i bet sorry