Cost of a clutch T4 [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Cost of a clutch T4

Veedubya
06-02-09, 13:13
I've just had a quote to change the clutch on 2003, 2.5i, 88bhp T4

Price came in at 500.00.

Is this reasonable or should I be looking elsewhere for another quote? :confused:

chadcruzer
06-02-09, 17:42
I have a 2.5tdi 102, I paid 309 for the clutch and dual mass flywheel kit from GSF then paid 150 for a friend to fit it, so 500 is good from a garage!

crftom
06-02-09, 18:22
sound about right, the clutch is fairly cheap its just a :* to fit

Veedubya
06-02-09, 18:34
That does sound good :D

I've got the final quote back, 480.00, that's clutch, dual mass fly wheel, and a bearing or such like, inclusive of labour.

I think maybe they've done me a deal because they've just changed the front discs and pads for 188.00.

Maybe buying a low mileage T4 is not such a good thing after all.

Since I bought it in October with 25,800 miles on the clock.

I've had to replace the exhaust, rusted through, inside to out, told at the time, probably because it's been standing so the water didn't get pushed out the system.

Took it in for tracking, and found the front discs were badly rusted, again, probably because they've not had the use.

While in for the discs, the mechanic noticed the clutch was slipping, probably because in the few miles the previous owner drove it, he probably needed a foot rest :(

Now I've got it back, it's obvious the clutch is slipping :confused:

scuffer74
09-02-09, 18:30
hi mate,

I have just bought a van from 2manymadmonkeys off of here (well swapped it for my beetle) which needed the clutch doing.

i called Mr Clutch, which is a national chain, and they quoted me 300 all in!!!

I took it down last week, and they did the lot supply and fit. the only other expense was they had to re scim the flywheel because it had some heat spots on it where it had been driven for so long with the clutch slipping. this was an extra 40.

So all in it come to 340, as on their website they also have a 10 off voucher! bargain if you ask me.

Also comes with a 2 year or 20,000 mile warranty, with check ups for free at 500 miles and then a few more after that at a few thousand miles.

check them out, i was well impressed with their service.

hope this helps, si.:)

Maude
09-02-09, 19:22
Does anyone know if the early T4's (pre-facelift 2.4d) had dual mass flywheels or just the conventional type?

Thanks.

karlos
09-02-09, 19:43
early 2.4 dont have dual mass type i did my clutch on that for about 120 all in

willonmitchell
09-02-09, 19:48
What about 1.9TD?

karlos
09-02-09, 19:53
only 96 models on for 2.4 and 2.5tdi
the pre 96 2.4 didnt and i think 1.9s are the same (dont)

Twizz
09-02-09, 21:52
Whats the price of one straight from VW? Without fitting?

What brand of clutch do Mr Clutch usually fit? I only use Sachs (unless the customer wants dealer parts) as I have quite a lot of faith in them from over the years.

Veedubya
10-02-09, 08:52
I've now booked mine in to the local garage, The nearest Mr Clutch to me is in Bristol, probably 3 and 1/2 hours away.

I wonder if Mr Clutch is fitting genuine VW parts at the prices they charge? I think I'd rather have the genuine clutch and fly wheel.

Twizz
10-02-09, 18:46
I've now booked mine in to the local garage, The nearest Mr Clutch to me is in Bristol, probably 3 and 1/2 hours away.

I wonder if Mr Clutch is fitting genuine VW parts at the prices they charge? I think I'd rather have the genuine clutch and fly wheel.

I believe Mr Clutch uses fairly cheap parts (that is why their prices are quite good) - not even sure if they use Sachs (Euro Car Parts sell them) clutchs but i'm not sure.

scuffer74
10-02-09, 19:30
i have just checked my invoice from mr clutch, and it does not say what make of clutch is fitted. how bad can the parts be? i would have thought that the 2 year / 20,000 mile warranty, and free check ups were a good thing, and should provide you with a sense of satisfaction in the product. do other garages, main dealer or otherwise offer that sort of warranty i wonder?
dont worry though, i will be the first to jump on here and say if anything goes wrong:eek:

Twizz
10-02-09, 21:16
i have just checked my invoice from mr clutch, and it does not say what make of clutch is fitted. how bad can the parts be? i would have thought that the 2 year / 20,000 mile warranty, and free check ups were a good thing, and should provide you with a sense of satisfaction in the product. do other garages, main dealer or otherwise offer that sort of warranty i wonder?
dont worry though, i will be the first to jump on here and say if anything goes wrong:eek:

The clutches they use must be up to satisfaction for them to be able to put their trust into them... The parts are not bad as such, but for them to be able to undercut other companies out there, there must be a decrease somewhere a long the line.

I'm not trying to slate them but have had a few problems with customer cars before.

scuffer74
10-02-09, 21:25
The clutches they use must be up to satisfaction for them to be able to put their trust into them... The parts are not bad as such, but for them to be able to undercut other companies out there, there must be a decrease somewhere a long the line.

I'm not trying to slate them but have had a few problems with customer cars before.

i'll be keeping my fingers crossd then mate:eek:, but so far so goodT:

Twizz
10-02-09, 22:40
i'll be keeping my fingers crossd then mate:eek:, but so far so goodT:

I doubt you should have any problems - after all, a clutch is a clutch.

I think I was told once that a dual mass flywheel (genuine VW part) for my T4 2.5TDI would come close to 600. I was gobsmacked.

karlos
11-02-09, 05:14
unless you need a strong clutch due to extra power a luk clutch or valeo should be fine thy are oe on some models of cars . make is not that big a problem with a clutch nowadays id be more concearned about the fitment side as humans make error if it all works you should be fine. dont worry
its the same with brakes you get cheap and expensive ones but all stop the vehicle fine