revs slow to drop [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

revs slow to drop

vwistheway
10-02-09, 20:42
van 800 sepc 1.9tdi

Hi guys hoping someone will be able to offer some advice on a problem i'm having.

What i'm finding is that when the van is cold the revs are very slow to pick so finding it unresponsive when pulling away. When i then change gear the revs dont drop as quick as i think they should and can make the gear change a bit jolty. It only happens when cold, is this a trate of cold diesels or is there a problem.

Any ideas most appriciated

JIMMYJAMES
11-02-09, 08:17
Dont know what would be causing the slow pick up but the revs not dropping could be a knackered steering damper (black plastic useless thing connected to the throttle arm) best thing to do is to remove and forget it.

the floating man
11-02-09, 09:01
Not sure about why so unresponsive to pull away but the slow dropping revs could well be a sticky throttle cable, very common fault on the T4. Quite a cheap and easy fix though. Hope this helps:ILU:

vwistheway
11-02-09, 17:17
cheers for the advise, being a bit of a numpty can anyone advise as to how i access the throttle cable??

vanheaven
11-02-09, 21:50
As stated above the throttle cable is not pulling the throttle to its full extent hence the slow take of its then sticking in its housing hence the revs not dropping quick enough. If you look at the van from the front the cable enters the engine bay top left best of getting a new one i lubed mine or should i say the rac lubed mine and has been ok since. Do it quick though or could be a cause of a serious accident for instance pulling out at a junction and not having the response.

aggie
11-02-09, 22:00
Dont know what would be causing the slow pick up but the revs not dropping could be a knackered steering damper (black plastic useless thing connected to the throttle arm) best thing to do is to remove and forget it.

What? steering damper on the injection pump? your havin a giraffe! Think he is mistaken for the throttle hydraulic damper(telescopic damper between the throttle lever and the injection pump) dificult to see if the undertray is fitted to your van.Could also be that the throttle lever is seizing on its pivot,remove the hydraulic damper and if its no better then liberally lubricate the throttle lever around the spring/pivot and work it free with your hand.Long shot but the throttle cable could be seizing too,if it is then buy a new one there not worth trying to free-up as it wil just keep seizing up again very soon.

vwistheway
21-02-09, 08:34
thanks will have give it a go