tailgate question ? [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

tailgate question ?

jarvo
19-02-09, 04:30
I'm in the middle of changing over from barn doors to tailgate, the question is can i use the lock from my barn doors for the tailgate ,there wasn't a lock on the tailgate ? or do i have to buy new . Next question will i still be able to use my central locking or lock the back manually
regards jarvo :confused:

Mr Mega
19-02-09, 08:03
You will need to change the lock, but take out the existing barrell so that you can use the same key.
Not sure ,but think c/lockig should still be ok.

wind welder
19-02-09, 08:17
I'm in the middle of changing over from barn doors to tailgate, the question is can i use the lock from my barn doors for the tailgate ,there wasn't a lock on the tailgate ? or do i have to buy new . Next question will i still be able to use my central locking or lock the back manually
regards jarvo :confused:

Hi,

You say there wasn't a lock on the tailgate!
no lock mechanism, (handle) or no lock barrel or no lock mechanism at the bottom of the door??

If no lock mechanism get hold of a caravelle one rather than a van one there are major differences.
If no lock barrel then you will need to get another barrel, the ones from the barn doors do not fit the tailgate locks. the tailgate barrels are much longer!

If it only a case of your key not fitting in the barrel of the tailgate then it is a simple matter of removing both barrels, removing all the plates from the tailgate barrel, and carefully removing the ones fro the barndoor barrel one by one. and tranfering them into the old tailgate barrel.

If you use a Caravelle locking mechanism it is a simple job to fit C/locking to!(are you using VW C/Locking)

the van lock is quite an epic unless you fit a relay to the system!

Cheers Trev.

jarvo
19-02-09, 18:00
thanks for the replys, what i need is central locking motor , the handle and all the bits that come with handle, and the lock, the tailgate is from a caravelle
are they expensive new ? might have to spend if i dont get these parts quick
regards jarvo