overpriced t4 vans? or mercedes vito? [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

overpriced t4 vans? or mercedes vito?

dubster75
19-02-09, 20:26
why is it all the standard t4 vans seem overpriced? been looking all over for my first t4 but the price's are ridiculous. now don't get me wrong i absolutely adore the t4 but anyone who has a standard t4 van up for sale seems to push the price up because it'll make a good surf van. i'm thinking of forgetting the t4 and getting a Mercedes vito, seen some nice ones about in good condition and at fair prices and seem ok for a camper conversion. has anyone converted one or know of someone who has?

tidytransporters
19-02-09, 20:38
we have done 2 conversions with vito's, and i wont be doing another. Vitos are cheap because they are not as desirable as t4's

Kieran
19-02-09, 20:43
I know what your saying mate, i looked solidly for 6/7 months and no joy. Keep looking and you will find. Anything popular or desirable has its price, thats life as they say.
Oh and dont buy a vito, you'll regret it.

BMF
19-02-09, 20:43
Just wait, bargains do come up.

I got my 1k 2.5tdi 102 off adtrader. Gumtree is ok aswell.

Get one of a trade and they seem to be cheaper as they don't know the market

Wagenworx
19-02-09, 20:46
Vito's are F:*:* :* C:* they are made of cheap metal and rust out thats enough said about vito's :no as this is THE T4 FORUM.

You buy a T4 it will hold it value it's a Vw enough said............

firstglass
19-02-09, 20:46
Done a few Early and more late vitos, it depends what you like and feel most comfortable with. Personly i prefer the VW and its not a surfer van, i just prefer the higher residual sale on my fleet (oh, and i do think it looks prettier)

mushroom
19-02-09, 20:49
I'm going to look at an early '94 2.4D 7 seater caravelle on saturday with no T&T and a smoky engine and he still wants 600 for it.
I might try and knock him down a bit

tidytransporters
19-02-09, 20:54
My mate sells vitos for a living, guess what he drives? pat on the back for anybody who gets it right

Wagenworx
19-02-09, 20:56
My mate sells vitos for a living, guess what he drives? pat on the back for anybody who gets it right

A T4 I reckon

StephenTazz
19-02-09, 20:56
The first generation front wheel drive Vito - and V-Class - are not even liked in Mercedes circles...

As for the second generation rear wheel drive model, that's a different matter - properly developed, and properly reliable - they certainly give the T5 a run for it's money.

Both models are Spanish and Mexican built - there's even a London Taxi version with rear wheel steering :jd

tidytransporters
19-02-09, 21:04
A T4 I reckon

Yep he drives a T4!

t4trick
19-02-09, 21:10
On the old forum there was the same question. It ran quite a few pages, and it whole heartedly said BUY A T4. Not from a bias t4forum stance, but driven by experience.

Price is the surrogate indicator of quality. The market dictates the price. So, ask why are t4's pricy.......

Come join us.T:

scruffyherbert
19-02-09, 22:23
Like it's been said already, just keep looking. You'll find one eventually mate :ILU:

bartonnic
19-02-09, 22:40
Just wait, bargains do come up.

I got my 1k 2.5tdi 102 off adtrader. Gumtree is ok aswell.

Get one of a trade and they seem to be cheaper as they don't know the market

Your right there, i just sold one of my old T4's to one of my employees for 1K it was a 2000 model 2.5tdi 88 1200 swb with 80k on the clock FSH.:eek:

paul ss
19-02-09, 23:17
if there anything like all the sprinters i have had it will rust in no time , will look like its spent a week in the sea never mind on the beach

Scooterdoc
19-02-09, 23:25
The prices for vito parts are through the roof, and there aren't any nice owners forums to pass on all the hints and tips either

Stick with a T4

tidytransporters
19-02-09, 23:35
vitos are under engineered, parts are made from cheese and you need much gold to sort them out!

Van Man
20-02-09, 07:19
My personal opinion is that T4's are over priced but there are still bargains out there.

A freind of mine just bought a S reg 800 special with 98k on the clock with part service history for 850.00 from a local paper.

Its like all vw vans they have a following and people want to be part of the scene. I reecently saw an old biddy in his 70's at least driving an ex aa colour coded and slammed to the floor van

It is nice to know that that the van you are driving is worth decent money though.

Keep looking im sure you will get one.:ILU:

JandT
20-02-09, 08:04
Have you tried the auctions?

Billet the Kid
20-02-09, 08:23
A major gripe for me with the Vito is the front rim to arch gap, let's face it, your never going to lower it without leaving a huge space between the tyre and the arch I:

Might not be the be all and end all for some, but I wouldn't be able to sleep at night, knowing that the front end of my uber cool Merc, looked as if it had been designed by Noddy :D

Other than that, enjoy ;)

Cheers Billet :D

Walesy
20-02-09, 10:18
I had a couple of Vitos, lovely vans to drive but they're bloody expensive to run! I was doing mega mileage in mine though using them as executive airport transfer vehicles, they had nice trim etc but if anything went wrong it would cost mega-bucks!

LittleKatie
20-02-09, 10:36
Vito's dont even come into the equation..
T4 or T5 = personally I prefer the styling of T4.
If you need a bigger van - get a Sprinter..

Vito's are poop.
Im sure this is a T4 forum - who mentioned vito in first place H:

Rasp:
Katie

So-Kal
20-02-09, 10:37
I looked at all sorts before I got my T4 - and there's no doubt in my mind that the Vito is a piece of junk, in terms of build quality - at least it was for all the ones I saw!

Rusty as hell and bits looking like they've snapped/fell off just by looking at them the wrong way.

The T4 IS expensive for what it is - but that's no different from anything else with a VW badge on it.

Whether you can justify paying the same for a 10 year old van with 100k+ mileage that has a VW badge, compared with a van that's half the age and has half the mileage (*insert Ford/Renault/Fiat/Vauxhall van of your choice here) is only a decision you can make......

I've had lots of VWs and, for the most part, they've been super reliable and worth the money - but my T4 has just let me down in the most expensive way I've ever been let down by any vehicle I've ever owned - so it really is a lottery, isn't it........

kangar
20-02-09, 11:17
In theory, nothing in life is overpriced. Economics is simply supply and demand. If people are prepared to pay 'stupid' money, then the price was right.

Having said that....I love my T4....and would have paid more!!:)

colese
20-02-09, 11:21
VITO :* man what are you talking about......Buy a VW

They are a pile of junk,rusty,cheap and look :* awlful

poor mans looking T4.

Get a T4 or 5 and then come back.....this post has left a bitter taste in my mouth..:eek:

:D

HedgeHugger
20-02-09, 11:43
I looked at Vitos when we first decided we wanted a modern camper van - being tall, it seemed to make sense, as the vito seems to be/is wider inside, for a bigger bed... R:

In the end, the decision was made by the support available and the scene - loads of knowledgeable, helpful and above all friendly people are into the VWs, and nothing like that seems to exist for the Merc.

We went for a Westie, as the knowledge, time and money wasn't avaiable to me to jump straight into a conversion, but all the stories and help on here is very inspiring, and when we are ready to change the HedgeHugger (LHD+Cornish country lanes=Username!), I am quite inspired to do my own conversion!

It's now quite obvious to me that you don't realise what's important to you in the van until you have one and use it! I'll be changing aspects of the Westfalia layout in the next one, although it's a blinding bit of kit in nearly every respect!!!

Plus the T4 is a real good looker (although I think the Vito looks good too!), there are loads of bits for it, and me and my other half are VW-Audi people anyway (with the occasional weakness for a Beemer...!!)

You won't regret buying one - I haven't!

Cheers
Alex

Matt888
20-02-09, 15:49
Have an 08 Vito at the moment while my T4 is being repaired and would not recomend one to anybody. Lots of plastic, horrible drive, gutless and the most stupid idea for a handbrake ever!!! How could anyone consider one over a T4 :confused:

Matt :ILU:

Wagenworx
20-02-09, 19:01
VITO :* man what are you talking about......Buy a VW

They are a pile of junk,rusty,cheap and look :* awlful

poor mans looking T4.

Get a T4 or 5 and then come back.....this post has left a bitter taste in my mouth..:eek:

:D

Well said that man...............Bitter taste....not half. F:* vito rubbish.

bullfrog
21-02-09, 07:46
My mate ran a vito for his busines but it fell apart, bits kept snapping off ! :eek:
Drove ok but should have really considering what they cost new.

2nd hand they are cheaper coz everyone knows the build quility is not there.

Oh and he now has a chipped fire breathing T5:cool::cool::cool:

marco
21-02-09, 08:31
My brother-in-law used to work for a car/van hire place in Inverness and the only criticism of T4's is the tendency to understeer, he thought T5 build quality was not as good and as for Vito's, he didn't have a good word to say about them. I've driven a Vito with about a 1/4 of the mileage of my T4 and it felt more worn out!!

firstglass
21-02-09, 09:03
vitos are under engineered, parts are made from cheese and you need much gold to sort them out!

DONT, my sides nearly spit after reading that

clunkey
21-02-09, 09:27
i think you are right the T4 is overpriced but prices are falling due to this mother of all depressions that is yet to show it’s true colours.

Now if you want real class, affordability and reliability look no further than:

https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/picture.php?albumid=433&pictureid=2109

Mazda Bongo T:

The name alone exudes quality and seriousness not found in European circles.

I think many of the people here would jump at the chance to scrap that T4 and join the party soon to start at the all new

MazdaBongoforum.co.uk Rasp:

ITS THE FUTURE!

Are you with me?

Guys?

Anyone? :confused:

Ill get my coat again

dubster75
21-02-09, 17:17
humble apologies
seem's like i really upset a good majority of you. i already have a mk2 golf gti so from all the advice from all of you i shall be staying in the vw family and just carry on with my search for a t4A: i shall never mention the name v:* again. cheers guys

clunkey
22-02-09, 09:49
don't think anyone is upset... but looks like noone has a good word to say about the vito. bingo bongo its the way forwardH:

colese
22-02-09, 14:03
don't think anyone is upset... but looks like noone has a good word to say about the vito. bingo bongo its the way forwardH:

think you are deluded mate....:eek:

colese
22-02-09, 14:04
humble apologies
seem's like i really upset a good majority of you. i already have a mk2 golf gti so from all the advice from all of you i shall be staying in the vw family and just carry on with my search for a t4A: i shall never mention the name v:* again. cheers guys

No one is upset mate,just messing about and shocked...:D

Vito's are :* though.LOL:LOL:

rocketron
22-02-09, 14:44
i cant even say V V V, a sod it. see cant even say the v word. sacralidge. flogging my man is what you need.LOL:

John J M
22-02-09, 15:59
Hunt about I searched all over for a T4 loadsa surf bus knacker jobs for daft money, then Farmers Weekly magazine came up trumps 2OO1 1.9TD with years MOT and a full VAG service history from new and one owner (John Deere Tractors...was their spares vehicle) for 2OOO. and its solid, mind had to go to deepest lincolnshire to get it

TDI Dave
22-02-09, 17:34
Bongo=value for money and reliabilty
merc = rust it will (got a 2000 rusty as hell) expensive aswell !!
t4=unreliable but theres the vw scene isnt there clattery noisy dated engines . pretty solid build
t5 = well never had one but id love one cus they look the nuts !

stick to vw (its a dub thing) although most waterpumper dubbers seem to only care how fast they can go and how low they can get

surfmatt
22-02-09, 20:33
yeah, if t4 is out of the price range, had exactly the same problem as you. i did buy a vito 113 that was el rapido! 2.0 petrol 134bhp standard but.....it was raar rusty, the central locking did its own thing, the gear box was the worst ive ever driven...comforatble though! i had it for a week, then spent weeks looking and found a lwb 2.5tdi 102 with alloys in incredible nick for 3k over a year ago! 2k on the clock though. thats what you should look for, a van with high miles because there not actually high! they will do 5k, have faith you will find one!

tidytransporters
22-02-09, 21:00
DONT, my sides nearly spit after reading that

LOL they are made from cheese though, they all stink!

t4trick
22-02-09, 21:20
T4 all the way! I bought mine less than three years old with 178,000miles on the clock.:eek: It now has 240,000 miles; and still feels tight and VW. i have spent money on it, but nothing more than making sure it gets the proper servicing.

When I tell people how many miles it has, they are always in shock - as it doesnt look it - although I do look after it.

I searched for a year for my first and two years for my second. Its worth it T:

vol164
22-02-09, 21:26
my opinion for whats its worth is theres only one good thing that came out sweden volvo , i own 2 of them and theres only one good thing that came out germany volkswagen , dont forget us british got it back on its feet after ww2

Soulstyledevon
23-02-09, 12:02
If the T4 looks over-priced or out of your reach. Try one of these. Even these things are better than a Vito!!!
http://www.bongofury.co.uk/

Rising Sun Campers
23-02-09, 20:35
If anyone wants a 112 vito mines up for sale, they are good vans Ive never had any trouble with mine just changed CV joints and oil and its been fine!

boardman
23-02-09, 22:44
we used one for work (company van)for a while,guess what my work partner bought for personal use ????? ever driven one ,work it out !!!!!!

a T 4

just dan
24-02-09, 16:06
i drive a vito for work its a 2003 van with 70k on the clock and has more wrong with it then my 91 petrol t4 with 178k on the clock. the vito does drive great though well fast but the turbo kicked in and instantly the traction control kicks in and kills all the power.

so vito fast, unreliable, rusty, and to many gadgets to go wrong. plus they depreciate badly.

t4 (mine anyway) slow, reliable, simple, bodywork lasts well, comfy or if lowered handles well.

mark999
08-03-09, 18:49
Dont touch a Vito I had a brand new V220Cdi back in 2000. It was an expensive mistake. Very unreliable and terrible residuals. The T4 Caravelle hasn't been perfect but the problems have been minor:- alternator/battery door cards coming off