Fuel Additive - Your thoughts [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Fuel Additive - Your thoughts

waveride
23-02-09, 07:01
Hi Guys,

Just seen this site re BG244 fuel additive

http://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/page.php/article2

check out this site, have any of you used it ? is it a load of cobblers ? any other thoughts ?

Thanks

LittleKatie
23-02-09, 10:18
There is loads of talked about adatives.
It really depends whats in it.
I know that some 'ingection cleaner's will bring the C/o down dramaticly
Its a well known 'dodge' for getting diesels through an MOT.
Whats in it. I have no idea.
You can add nitro to fuel for a dramatic increase in power. Drag racers use it !
Not sure why anyone would want to for a road vehicle though.
We want longevity and reliability. I want my T4 to last longer than 1/4 mile.

I think its mostly 'hype'
Technological Poop to get mugs to part with there money.

Rasp:
Katie

gaffers101
23-02-09, 10:52
I remember an old episode of 5th Gear that did a bit about these additives. If memory serves the up shot was they didnt do much at all, some actually reduced output BHP.

I guess there are no quick fixes when it comes to looking after your engine. The best thing is to inject lots of and plenty of LOVE!!!! :D

bathtub
23-02-09, 20:11
I put redex through my 88 TDI every now and then, it does give better mpg when I do and feels a bit better for it, but i find a huge difference just by putting in different fuel - seems to return better fuel consumption when I put shell or texaco in. Dunno why... The additive doesn't quite pay for itself in the saving, but seems to clean it up a bit.
Or maybe I just imagined it...

paul ss
23-02-09, 20:23
better of mixing a litre of new veg oil in with a full tank always cleans the engine well and , also gives much cleaner running for m.o.t T:

slimbo
24-02-09, 17:14
yep fuel additives are generally snake oil!!!

nothing wrong with a system cleaner but something that boasts improving the power etc is imho shine!!!

just keep it serviced correctly and enjoy it..

8 Ball
24-02-09, 19:54
BG products generally good. Have used 44k fuel treatment before and made a fair difference. Definitely lowered smoke emissions. Can help pass mot etc
Will really only clean inlet valves and injectors although BG claim it to clean exhaust valves also.

Best to use it with a full tank of fuel as it acts as a dispersant.

Felix
24-02-09, 21:09
I put redex through my 88 TDI every now and then, it does give better mpg when I do and feels a bit better for it, but i find a huge difference just by putting in different fuel - seems to return better fuel consumption when I put shell or texaco in. Dunno why... The additive doesn't quite pay for itself in the saving, but seems to clean it up a bit.

Yeah i find that too about buying from reputable stations. I have a a feeling that cheaper diesel is older and bad quality. I recon its worth putting in some cleaners because you never know what could be in the diesel pumps ....

willy
24-02-09, 21:20
i used tesco diesel injector cleaner, deffo worked , when my van was strugling to start in the cold spell..........

Daskx
26-02-09, 21:41

Ditto with me mate T:

Dermot
27-02-09, 18:58
Havent really read all of that thread, the link like, but i have a 1992 multivan 2l petrol engine its normally 92 octane and we were told to buy a supplement for the difference but lotsa people told me thats not work a pedal and crank if you know what i mean, i havent noticed any performance dif since i had it but should i use the additive? i mean i still have two little bottles of it but i thought best not to put it in the odd time and then leave it and then again, clean break like??? should i keep using it and will it affect consumption if i do use it? as in keep the fuel longer?

Antz
27-02-09, 22:12
Got through a lot of different additives in work, most 'power increasing' additives just don't work,for petrol, octane boosters work up to a point (or bp racing fuel 110 octane is really good stuff, but around 2.50ish a litre :eek: and smells really funky when you are working in the boot of the car T:)

Best diesel cleaner we have used so far is Forte, cleans the fuel system, and does reduce emissions, I usually put one in every 4-5 tankfulls ( but there is a large stock in work)

Heard a few good reports on a product called 'cataclean', not used it yet, but one of the guys in the local college has tested it and seems impressed with the results.