Side Bar Problems [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Side Bar Problems

orangevanman
28-02-09, 09:26
I have been toying with the idea of letting you guys know about my recent problems i have been having with some side bars i bought last year at Vanfest.
I paid 190 for my bars and fitted them the weekend after Vanfest 08 and as the guy said who i got them from they are easy to fit and i was very happy with the new look my van had.
Now my van is garaged in a big roomy double garage and is not a daily driver, if i clean the rust off the instant it gets wet again the rust is back within hours

So tell me why after 5 months of having these bars on do they now look like this.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/orangevanman/rusty007.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/orangevanman/rusty008.jpg

I have spoken to the seller ( i have decided not to name and shame him, even though i want to) and he says that they only come with a 3 month guarantee and that the bars should be taken off after summer (??!!) theres nothing he will do.
Great 190 down the drain.
If you are thinking of buying some and you want the sellers name pm me and i'll gladly return it to you so you dont make the same mistake.

T4 VIRGIN,
28-02-09, 09:35
there has been a few threads on this recently,a few people in the same position and possibly from the same seller???tidyts has been supplying them to guys on here with no problems,feel for you as money is hard enough to come by without wasting it on rubbish:(

ps for legal reasons as much as you would like to you cant name and shame sorry

team french
28-02-09, 09:45
my guess is its down to poor quality chrome/prep etc(ie. a cheap job) as a sugestion id look into getting the chrome stripped off and then powder coated.

dbug
28-02-09, 10:10
you haven't been near a grinder have you? the showering sparks may have damaged the surface.

or its just cheap metal.

other option would be to get them powder coated.

redlee
28-02-09, 13:26
there has been a few threads on this recently,a few people in the same position and possibly from the same seller???tidyts has been supplying them to guys on here with no problems,feel for you as money is hard enough to come by without wasting it on rubbish:(

ps for legal reasons as much as you would like to you cant name and shame sorry

Is this for real, what legal reasons, even if he is only stating facts?
Lee.

BANANAVAN
28-02-09, 13:54
Is this for real, what legal reasons, even if he is only stating facts?
Lee.

https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=31943 T:

Conspiracy
28-02-09, 13:59
They are the same bars that have been discussed in previous threads. Mine are completely covered and will be powder coated over the next few weeks T:

Its a shame as they are a nice looking bar but I wouldnt recommend the seller & I certainly wouldnt buy any other product from this outfit I:

Cheers

Chris :ILU:

redlee
28-02-09, 14:06
Ok that cleared that one up.

vwaddict
28-02-09, 14:11
just a word of warning guys if you are going to get them powder coated make sure they have a zinc coated undercoat first and a proper powdercoat meant for harsh conditions otherwise they will rust through the powder as well .powdercoating is not as durable as some people think .i did this for a living for 5 years .to be honest you would be better having them wet sprayed and then several coats of tough laquer

BANANAVAN
28-02-09, 14:18
just a word of warning guys if you are going to get them powder coated make sure they have a zinc coated undercoat first and a proper powdercoat meant for harsh conditions otherwise they will rust through the powder as well .powdercoating is not as durable as some people think .i did this for a living for 5 years .to be honest you would be better having them wet sprayed and then several coats of tough laquer

yup deffo what he said! powder coating can chip easy too id say muh better getting them sprayed in 2 pack its more "plastic" like

Can somone PM me to where these side bars are from dont want to make the same mistake cheers

LittleKatie
28-02-09, 16:21
Get them grit blasted and powder coated... There really is no substitute for stainless ones though.

Rasp:
Katie

big s
28-02-09, 18:41
any chance also as im also looking to buy a set and dont fancy being ripped off
thanx
steve

colese
28-02-09, 22:08
Check out the other threads mate,you will see i contacted the seller on everyones behalf,with no joy and a email saying that they have 2 monthe guarntee because of where they are on the van.

Bars are :*.and as conspiracy says,would ot buy or recommend anything from this seller

Brilo pad every week though mate works wonders.....:D

Antz
01-03-09, 19:32
Looks like some very poor chrome, as for where they are fitted, it's complete andutter c**p, decent quality bars will not rust, I fitted some 60mm bars to a mates SWB pajero about 4 years ago, and the truck has been used and abused, loads of farm and off road use, no signs of rust yet.. ( and they were 250.00)

BANANAVAN
01-03-09, 19:37
what was the tread on here where someone had some problems with alloy wheels ???
there was some good info on there about sales of good act ? The company that sold the wheels said they only came with a 6 month warranty , but the guy quoted a part of the sales of goods act and ......... well he got another set of wheels

Subject:
Sale of Goods Act, Faulty Goods.

Relevant or Related Legislation:
Sale of Goods Act 1979. Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994. The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002.

Key Facts:
• Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

• Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description.

• Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety.

• It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.

• If goods do not conform to contract at the time of sale, purchasers can request their money back "within a reasonable time". (This is not defined and will depend on circumstances)

• For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).

• A purchaser who is a consumer, i.e. is not buying in the course of a business, can alternatively request a repair or replacement.

• If repair and replacement are not possible or too costly, then the consumer can seek a partial refund, if they have had some benefit from the good, or a full refund if the fault/s have meant they have enjoyed no benefit

• In general, the onus is on all purchasers to prove the goods did not conform to contract (e.g. was inherently faulty) and should have reasonably lasted until this point in time (i.e. perishable goods do not last for six years).

• If a consumer chooses to request a repair or replacement, then for the first six months after purchase it will be for the retailer to prove the goods did conform to contract (e.g. were not inherently faulty)

• After six months and until the end of the six years, it is for the consumer to prove the lack of conformity.

greyfox
01-03-09, 19:49
yes get them blasted but why not find a decent chromer and get them triple plated??

bigcat
01-03-09, 21:28
I put some of Jeff's bars on mine at the end of last summer. Not taken them off at all since and they are superb. Gave them a good clean last weekend, just ran over them with "silvo" polished 'em up with a cloth and put a coat of wax on. These things have done a few thousand miles, on well treated roads too, since Christmas.
They are superb.

Pedro
01-03-09, 21:43
i had this problem ended up getting mine powder coated

please dont buy chrome ones always go for stainless steel better EVERY TIME

and as for the a"$hole selling these 3 months guarantee is rubbish not fit for purpose refund is only way

he needs a good slap the conning swine .................we all know who he is
really am fed up with people ripping off honest van owners all we all want is quality parts at sensible prices not too much to ask .............is it?????????????????????????

scruffyherbert
01-03-09, 21:54
any chance also as im also looking to buy a set and dont fancy being ripped off
thanx
steve

I got mine from Will at tidyt's: www.tidytransporters.co.uk
Complete bargain and look superb :ILU:

tidytransporters
01-03-09, 22:02
i had this problem ended up getting mine powder coated

please dont buy chrome ones always go for stainless steel better EVERY TIME

and as for the a"$hole selling these 3 months guarantee is rubbish not fit for purpose refund is only way

he needs a good slap the conning swine .................we all know who he is
really am fed up with people ripping off honest van owners all we all want is quality parts at sensible prices not too much to ask .............is it?????????????????????????

Well said!! This is the reason we DO NOT DO CHROME! And as for the price of chrome bars (190) its pants, 100% pants :eek:

When i can produce 304 marine spec stainless bars for 145 :ILU:

BANANAVAN
01-03-09, 22:09
Post edited in line with forum Rules :

Posting a postcode to "name and shame" is also against the forums rules Jim.

Please don't push it.

Neal

orangevanman
01-03-09, 22:26
I would just like to add that i DIDN'T buy my bars from TIDY T's. (wish i had of done now)

I have heard very good reports about his bars so once again

I DID NOT BUY MY BARS FROM TIDY T'S

pic1london
01-03-09, 22:44
I put some of Jeff's bars on mine at the end of last summer. Not taken them off at all since and they are superb. Gave them a good clean last weekend, just ran over them with "silvo" polished 'em up with a cloth and put a coat of wax on. These things have done a few thousand miles, on well treated roads too, since Christmas.
They are superb.

Poor chrome will oxidise quicker in the elements & we have had enough salt on our roads in the last few weeks to add to the oxidisation quicker (which is probably why they went bad so quick)
Bigcat is spot on here, you can gain some longevity with cheap chrome by removing surface rust with fine 0000 grade wire wool & then elbow grease by the silvo & wax method or give them a coat (or 3) of clear lacquer.

I must ad that selling poor quality items at top dollar prices is well underhand & it's BIG thanks to forums like this, that us punters can get some insight on products before we part with our well earned spondoooliesT:T:

bigcat
02-03-09, 12:16
Meant to make it clear, Jeff's bars are stainless, not chrome T:

vwaddict
02-03-09, 18:07
theres nothing wrong with chrome as long as its applied over stainless steel .its not the chrome thats the problem its the fact its done on mild steel

lardyb
02-03-09, 18:17
Was there a problem with our posts then or are they just deleted for the hell of it.
no names mentioned and Jims post edited to remove the postcode??
mods care to comment???

nealglover
02-03-09, 18:36
Sorry Ben, I thought I had PM'd you along with the others who's posts were removed.

They were removed as they were reported by another member as "naming names" and fairs fair, posting the address (postcode) of the person in question, and plays on words is still naming names if it identifies the person in question.

I don't like the fact that they are providing a product that is not standing up to reasonable use any more than anyone else. I'm just trying to keep the peace, and the forum rules.

West Stabbo Customs
02-03-09, 18:46
If someone is selling then everyone should know about it, i've seen Orangevanmans bars and they are ****e

lardyb
02-03-09, 18:47
don't envy your forum job at all

............ly the buck stops with jimbo so as you say fairs fair (didn't want to use the word this time even though it was in the right context)

orangevanman
02-03-09, 18:47
Sorry Ben, I thought I had PM'd you along with the others who's posts were removed.

They were removed as they were reported by another member as "naming names" and fairs fair, posting the address (postcode) of the person in question, and plays on words is still naming names if it identifies the person in question.

I don't like the fact that they are providing a product that is not standing up to reasonable use any more than anyone else. I'm just trying to keep the peace, and the forum rules.

I agree with what you say about naming names but wouldn't you want to know who it was if you were going to buy side bars?
To be honest i feel like shouting his name from the top of the highest building, i also dont want my fellow t4 ers to buy from this person and have the same problems

But i will obide and not say their name

nealglover
02-03-09, 18:56
Cheers Ben T:

And, orangevanman, I totally agree, yes I would want to know who it was I should be avoiding if I were buying sidebars. I'm not trying to protect this seller, not at all. It's just their name can't be put on the open forum that's all. (for legal reasons, Jimbo is the one who gets the flack if it goes that's far)

So if anyone is wanting to buy side bars, and they need to know who this thread is referring to, PM me or orangevanman and we will let you know, in private T:

T:

West Stabbo Customs
02-03-09, 19:09
Trading standards mate "not fit for purpose"

West Stabbo Customs
02-03-09, 19:12
Trading standards mate "not fit for purpose"

Why cant the sellers name be posted? i doubt there is a legal reason its only libel if its untrue!! Over on the beachbuggy forum a trader was shown to have ripped people off and slagged others off for outing him, he got banned from using or advertising on the forum