nasty niff from air vents any ideas [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

nasty niff from air vents any ideas

vwaddict
03-03-09, 18:38
my van has developed a nasty niff coming out of air vents .its stronger when first started up and is an eggy sour type smell .at first i thought it was the cabin filter that was causing it but just as bad when its removed .it has only started in the last week anyone had similar problems

BANANAVAN
03-03-09, 18:42
aircon T:

fiverods
03-03-09, 18:48
I:MY GOLF developed this was a small hole near catconverter, egg'y smell started when you gave it alot of revs,
was told it could of been head gasket gone aswell but lukily it was'nt:(

Ashley Williams
Never done anything like this on a t4 but my mums volvo had a sour milky eggy smell when first starting up turned out to be the polon filter.

A

LittleKatie
Sounds like the battery is on its way out.
The cells will gass off which will smell like rotton eggs.
:D

Rasp:
Katie

manwhore
03-03-09, 19:04
Check your alternater output if it's overcharging will cook the battery !!

vwaddict
03-03-09, 20:13
aircon T:

this was my initial thought not sure what could be causing it though

vwaddict
03-03-09, 20:14
I:MY GOLF developed this was a small hole near catconverter, egg'y smell started when you gave it alot of revs,
was told it could of been head gasket gone aswell but lukily it was'nt:(

no longer have a cat so not that .unlikely to be head gasket as no other symtoms

tidytransporters
03-03-09, 20:15

Rasp:
Katie

was just about to say that! if you got a leisure battery check that 2

vwaddict
03-03-09, 20:15
Never done anything like this on a t4 but my mums volvo had a sour milky eggy smell when first starting up turned out to be the polon filter.

A

yep i thought of this but removed cabin/pollen filter and ran without makes no differance

vwaddict
03-03-09, 20:17

Rasp:
Katie

no problems with battery up to now .dont think it would fade after driving a while

vwaddict
03-03-09, 20:22
was just about to say that! if you got a leisure battery check that 2

i do have a leisure battery under drivers seat but at the moment its not charging as the relay is knackered .the relay does sit on top of the engine battery directly under the cabin filter intake but ive tried sniffing in this area but no smell under bonnet at all only seems to be inside .im thinking it could be something to do with aircon but not sure what .seems strange its just started recently but smells seriously bad like somethings crawled in there and died ( i have checked but cant see anything ) nearly making the kids sick

DaveR
03-03-09, 22:36
Had a similar problem with my passat a few years ago, bought some aircon cleaner from the local accesory shop (just srays in the vents) cured the problem.

Maude
03-03-09, 23:02
Get an air-con sanitiser aerosol, you put the vents on recirculate, trigger the aerosol and shut the doors then leave it to circulate through the vents for 10-15 mins.
It's worth doing even if it's not the cause of the smell as air-con systems can harbour some nasty bacteria that you don't really want to breathing in anyway.
If it fixes the smell then bonus T:.

JIMMYJAMES
03-03-09, 23:11
Washer water may have gone sour from dodgy screenwash, happened on my vectra and it got to the stage that it made me feel sick. Just a suggestion as all others seem to have been taken already, worth a quick sniff!

hoverjon
04-03-09, 17:53
a gone of egg smell is surhper dioxide gas, which normally comes from a petrol engine with a cat. i pressume your engine is petrol? if it is not then as you say something is rotting in the heater/aircon system, i would get a garage to check your exhaust from front to back, as if you are smelling surpher dioxide, you are also breathing in carbon monoxide (which you cant smell) and will poison you!

my heater system smelt of old socks (i dont have aircon) i sprayed freebreeze into the fan whilst running full chat, the van now smells lovely and it also got rid of the squeak from the fan!

8 Ball
04-03-09, 18:10
Try product from BG Products called Frigi Fresh. Spray into heater vent system both inside and out.. T:

BICKEY
04-03-09, 18:30
Hi had similar problem in my bmw aircon, its related to the condensation from the unit as it drips into the drip tray bacteria breeds in the soup this is what the smell is, use the sprays previously quoted to resolve the problem before it gives you legionares diesease..

vwaddict
04-03-09, 18:48
cheers for the replies guys some of them were mighty interesting i have to say lucky im not dead i reckon LOL:

anyway i bought an aircon " bomb 2 from halfrauds tonight bit expensive at 11 but it seems to have solved the problem will find out for sure in the morning

Jenny barnard
05-03-09, 15:52
Yes have had the same problem with rotton smell and no amount of cleaning got rid of it. I have a leisure battery and will check that asap