Biscuit cutter or Router? [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Biscuit cutter or Router?

millsrock
05-03-09, 16:51
When cutting the slot in cupboard boards to fit snap in reimo try edging strip is it best to use a router or do you use a biscuit cutter?
Any advice more than welcome.

Craig

topsparky
05-03-09, 16:54
i would use a router myself mate
T:T:

Ashley Williams
05-03-09, 17:05
I normally just snap my biscuits before i dunk them in my tea :p

I agree router.

A

Nogdo
05-03-09, 17:09
I'm using a router and don't know what A biscuit cutter is. Oh and bought the slotting tool from http://www.wealdentool.com/ as cheapest I could find.

millsrock
05-03-09, 17:15
Thanks chaps
Im glad your all saying router as I just bought one,all i have to do now is work out how to use it and guide the cut,any advice?

Craig

RubberBiker
05-03-09, 17:27
If you're cutting a continuous narrow groove in the edge of a board, there isn't much in it between biscuit jointer and router - I'd base it on which of those you have that is the nicer quality and more appropriately sized tool. A huge router may be tiring, too small a router makes for a tediously slow cut - and I've seen some rubbish biscuit jointers that it would be hard to get a repeatable cut from. Biscuit jointer is probably the more idiot proof/safer.

RubberBiker
05-03-09, 17:29
Thanks chaps
Im glad your all saying router as I just bought one,all i have to do now is work out how to use it and guide the cut,any advice?

Craig

If you're willing to go to the trouble of making a router table and fence, that's by far the easiest way to do repeatable work.

m30rmf
05-03-09, 17:52
Id use a bottom bearing slotting cutter in a router, screwfix is probably the easiest place to get hold of one, just make sure you buy the correct ''kerf'' for the edging or it will tend to split the board if to tight.Im a joiner by trade and thats the easiest way to do it in my opinion...

millsrock
05-03-09, 18:28
Id use a bottom bearing slotting cutter in a router, screwfix is probably the easiest place to get hold of one, just make sure you buy the correct ''kerf'' for the edging or it will tend to split the board if to tight.Im a joiner by trade and thats the easiest way to do it in my opinion...

Do you mean the router biscuit cutter at the top of page 778?

Table is a good idea but no space for it unfortunatly

Craig

BICKEY
05-03-09, 18:33
Hi when i did mine i had a piece of thick ply & cut a hole in the centre & bolted the router underneath with the cutter coming up through & set at the correct height for the slot then laid the peice that needed slotting & pushed it around the flat bed so that the slot was all around & at the same height/depth for all the bits that needed slotting..T:

m30rmf
05-03-09, 18:35
thats the one mate, just check the width you require for the t-edging and the width of the cutter, although you can do it in a couple of passes if need be, eg, do 1 cut slightly off centre then flip over and run it through again, increasing the width of the slot...

millsrock
05-03-09, 20:14
Thanks for the ideas and help everyone,I think I have a better picture of which way to go now.
Cheers
Craig

ed-j
05-03-09, 21:52
Definitely a router. Biscuit cutter is about 4mm slot - you need 2mm, so a slot cutter is the only answer.
You need a bearing guided arbour and the slot needs to be about 8mm deep.
A thinner kerf with a couple of passes is OK if you happen to buy the wrong cutter, but with the cost of the material so high, just buy the right cutter (25 ish) - I am sure you could sell it on to the next person who is taking on a DIY project, along with the router:).
Just my advice, but check the slot offset against the T trim on a scrap before you slot all your peices, as its rarely central, an quite often massively offset - it looks [email protected] if you leave a big gap on the outside between the surface of the ply and the 'lip' on the trim.