Newbie 2.5l Petrol questions [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Newbie 2.5l Petrol questions

T4surf
06-03-09, 16:54
Hey all Newbie here,

I have been looking for The right T4 for Months and Months now trying to find the right one.

And finally one has come up, All good, exactly what ive been looking for BUT its a 2.5l Petrol!!!

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of owning a 2.5l Petrol? And honestly (especially in this financial climate) just how econominal are the petrol versions???

EG:

average MPG?
Tax?
Insurance?
Reliability?

Is it worth hanging on for a Diesel?

Thanks All

vanheaven
06-03-09, 17:45
Hi and welcome to the forum. If you buy it i would convert it to gas. Ive had a 2.5 petrol in the past bundles of fun great power but not very economical. I would have another any day of the week but if i could afford it.
Pros: Fast, great drive, lovely sound and earn double clubcard points at tesco on fuel
Cons: not many just need a little more money to spend on fuel.
Advice: BUY IT

Kieran
06-03-09, 17:49
Hello mate.

Can of worms springs to mind! :eek:

I have a petrol and i love it. Yeah ok the mpg is 30 max but im running on lpg most of the time so actually getting 40+. Tax is fairly cheap at 100 for 6 months and most parts from what i can tell (engine) are cheaper than the diesels, serviceing too in theory should be cheaper.

Your gonna get people who have diesel saying there better and vise versa. If its a bargain then go for it. Expect to pay a little less on a petrol but barter them down enough and you may well have some left over for a gas convertion, Job's a good'un T:

Good luck.

marco
06-03-09, 20:01
I've had a petrol T4 for nearly 4yrs now and done 40+k with only one breakdown (a coil). Apart from the petrol consumption there's no drawbacks, only bonuses. I've seen one on Ebay with 420k that went for over 3k so high mileage isn't an issue and they are a lot quieter than diesels.
Economy... you won't get more than 30mpg but petrol is cheaper than diesel and servicing is cheaper. And if you can get it converted to lpg you'll be laughing. I've got a volvo V40 thats done 140k on lpg with no issues so don't be scared of stories about lpg.

Sam
06-03-09, 20:40
Just listen to the noise a diesel makes - and then buy petrol! :D

vwaddict
06-03-09, 20:56
after having both i think im qualifyed to comment so heres my tuppence worth .
the petrol is fast but drive it fast your more likely to get 16-18 mpg drive it like a nun and you may get 26-27 in 2 years i never got 30.mine didnt have lpg so cant comment on that .
my second t4 was 2.4 diesel which was a bit slower than the petrol on take off but would cruise at 90 all day long and returned 35+ mpg even when thrashed i also briefly had another 2.4 between vans.
my 3rd,5th,6th,and 7th( current van ) have all been 2.5tdi s with the 102bhp i would say they were fast enough as standard but my current one has been remapped to 140bhp and i reckon it could keep up with a 2.5 petrol no probs.ive never had less than 38mpg with any of these vans and have acheived 44mpg frequently and i dont drive like a nun .
at the end of the day you weigh up your options and take your choice but you have to live with that choice and although fuel is cheaper just now it will rise again to pay of our ridiculous national debt .when it does cant see 2.5 petrol engines apealing to many if you need to sell

Sam
06-03-09, 21:05
I have to be honest, I have never seen 30mpg either but mine is an auto which is a bit thirstier. I average 23 but that is all local driving and very little motorway. I also do approx 7k miles per year so the overall difference between diesel and petrol isn't too great. My personal preference is for the engine sound and smoothness of petrol. If I did more miles I might think differently but I would consider lpg before diesel. It's all personal preference, there is no right answer, just what's right for you.

vwaddict
06-03-09, 21:22
agreed mate like i said you make your own choice i have to say i loved my petrol when i had it and would love a vr6 but would rather spend the money customising the van and using it than feeding it so diesel gets my vote

celtic nomad
06-03-09, 21:54
Hi t4surf and welcome. my van is a 2.5 t4 syncro I average about 27 - 28mpg and is used as a daily runner, I spent ages myself looking for my van,and looked at both diesel and petrol.The main things i kept looking for was how much modding had been done , in relation to the price and how much it would save me. In the end i settled for a van that had been fully modded externally (pop top,lowered,windows and tints,tow bar,alloys colour coded etc, plus quite a bit of the inside work done also) I had planned on doing this work myself ,but was not worth it in the end. The fact it was petrol was not that big an issue at the time of buying,and still is'nt today.(mind you,only problem after buying is the adictiveness and wanting to change the mods already modded! lol!) T: Whatever you decide to buy, good luck, happy modding and enjoy the life T: all the best Mark.

Kieran
06-03-09, 22:46
my current one has been remapped to 140bhp and i reckon it could keep up with a 2.5 petrol no probs.

Really?! mines fairly pacey I: Toe down out of town she does not hang about :D (never on the queens highway mind) Problem with having the power etc is you use it and then ya wallets empty :eek:

vwaddict
06-03-09, 22:52
Really?! mines fairly pacey I: Toe down out of town she does not hang about :D (never on the queens highway mind) Problem with having the power etc is you use it and then ya wallets empty :eek:

LOL: only in a petrol a remapped diesel is actually more economical than un mapped one mine now keeps up with our passat 130 and still returns 38-40mpg

T4surf
06-03-09, 22:53
Thanks for all the great advice

The van in mind is everything I want, low miles, rear seats etc and just within my budget ...although not in the Mrs budget she set us I: but the only thing putting me off me is that its petrol.

I have owned a Mk3 Golf 2.0L GTI and it drank SO much i had to get rid of it. Granted I did have my foot too the floor but now Ive got a bit older and become a tight old git i dont want too have too keep looking at the needle every time iam behind the wheel!!!

Thanks again for making me welcome and giving such good advice

Kieran
06-03-09, 23:03
LOL: only in a petrol a remapped diesel is actually more economical than un mapped one mine now keeps up with our passat 130 and still returns 38-40mpg

Not sure what bhp mine is :confused: Only performance mod is exhaust.

vwaddict
06-03-09, 23:17
Thanks for all the great advice

The van in mind is everything I want, low miles, rear seats etc and just within my budget ...although not in the Mrs budget she set us I: but the only thing putting me off me is that its petrol.

I have owned a Mk3 Golf 2.0L GTI and it drank SO much i had to get rid of it. Granted I did have my foot too the floor but now Ive got a bit older and become a tight old git i dont want too have too keep looking at the needle every time iam behind the wheel!!!

Thanks again for making me welcome and giving such good advice

put it this way weigh up the cost of adding lpg to the price your paying for the van and how much space the tank takes up .then look at diesels in that price range you will get a better van .anyone with a petrol who is truly honest will tell you average 20mpg is more realistic .may be a bit faster but the speed limits are still the same

marco
07-03-09, 06:07
Petrol can be remapped to give 20% more torque, which I guess would help with fuel economy, I just wish I could afford to do it :(. If you stick to sensible speeds and not thrash the van when leaving junctions etc then the needle drops slower. At autobahn speeds the needle covers ground almost as fast as the van :eek: and banzai drove like you stole it acceleration also quickly empties the tank I:and suprises other car users H:. If money was no issue then I'd get a VR6, lpg it and remap it.
Fuel eco on a trip to N.east and back with 4 passengers and a Honda superdream in stormy weather and not straying much below 80 gave 26 mpg.

obsession01
23-03-09, 02:10
Where do I get the 2.5 gasser remapped?
[email protected]

marco
23-03-09, 18:34
Where do I get the 2.5 gasser remapped?
[email protected]
If your lucky a local Abt agent might do it, I've enquired over here in the U.K. and it seems they've moved on to T5's.:(. Failing that any decent tuning co. should be able to remap it. Should give about 20% more torque T:.

Kieran
23-03-09, 18:52
If your lucky a local Abt agent might do it, I've enquired over here in the U.K. and it seems they've moved on to T5's.:(. Failing that any decent tuning co. should be able to remap it. Should give about 20% more torque T:.

Hey Marco :ILU:
Does that actualy improve mpg then? Im on Lpg most of the time but do love the power when on petrol, pulls like a train!
Ta.