true van mileage [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

true van mileage

galiform
27-03-09, 15:08
is there any way of finding the true mileage of my van.i was sold a clocked van last year
from a company thats buisness is t4,s and t5,s conversions,modifying,the whole nine yards.thought going to a proper company i would be safe.paid good money (7000) for a 51 plate 2.5 tdi, basic 2 berth,lowered with as advertised 102,000 miles.later on last year bought a splitty so decided to sell the t4 on,guy was interested he then did a dvla check
low and be hold the mileage did,nt match(i did,nt know aboute this service!).contacted supplyer who denied all knowledge saying he must of been duped as well.got trading standards on the case but waste of time never came back to me evan after pleanty of update phone calls.still want to sell van but do not want to put anybody else in my position.i have obtained a read out from vw were the last service was 16/12/03 with milage at 131316, 5years ago so who knows what has been put on it between me buying it,loking at the read out it was doing over 5000 miles a month!
after another conversation with supplyer he convinced me that he had info to back up the fact the van had about 149000 so suggested i get the mileage reset at that then mot it and he would pay for this as a good will gesture.it went straight though the mot and the reset was 50 (done in a mcdonalds carpark dodgy or wat. i know i was wrong to go along with this but at the time though seemed like the right thing to do. wat a mess,let this be a lesson to anybody out there do all checks you can to protect yourself. any info would be gratefully received
regards chris

Conspiracy
27-03-09, 15:31
I think I read somewhere that Vag Com can confirm the mileage covered when plugged in T:

Some brighter spark will confirm that I'm either right or talking absolute jibber jabber I:

Cheers

Chris :ILU:

Billybus
27-03-09, 15:32
thats right mate - get it plugged in and they will be able to tell you.

LittleKatie
27-03-09, 15:37
Milage is recorded on MOT's
This can be checked.

I guess nobody can be absolutly certain of anything. But if the milage tallys up
on old MOT's and you can contact previous owners.

Lets face it - a low milage, one owner from new = premium price. Simply
because its history can be varified etc.
A vehicle owned by the ARMY then to a Van Hire company then a dozen
other anonimous owners with a quarter million on the clock = Who would
care about the odd + or - a few tens oh K miles...

And is it going to make that much difference if your van has 110000 or 140000 miles
NO ... Only the fact that for some reason there is some sort of dis-honesty
going on for some reason...

Rasp:
Katie

Billybus
27-03-09, 15:39
just read your whole post, tbh mate the seller sounds dodgy to me - the very fact that he suggested it (its illegal) says he may well have done it before. maybe to your actual van.

LittleKatie
27-03-09, 15:45
People will buy old dogs and think they are puppies.
Then want pedigree money for them.

Altering the milage on a vehicle is a criminal offence.
You could report it to the Police.
The problem is, You are just as much a criminal by having the milage altered
and trying to hide the fact it was done previously...

Rasp:
Katie

galiform
27-03-09, 15:48
were would i get this vag com done,local vw van dealer?
chris

LittleKatie
27-03-09, 15:51
VW van centre .. They should put it in writing so you can varify to others what has been done..

AA or RAC .. can give a writen statement of true milage etc

A:
Katie

Conspiracy
27-03-09, 15:52
A VW dealer would be able to do it but will probably charge more than if you could find a local garage with the software T:

There may be someone on here local to you that will do it for some beer tokens ;)

Cheers

galiform
27-03-09, 16:15
i was,nt trying to hide anything by getting mileage altered,just hoping to get things back right.i know its wrong to alter mileage thats the reason i am not naming the commpany i bought the van off becouse i am guilty of the same thing.differance being i,m not trying to con anybody with false mileage.

Conspiracy
27-03-09, 16:22
Adjusting a cars odometer reading is not a criminal offence (apparantly I:) - However it is illegal to to misrepresent the mileage of any vehicle ;) You are trying to do the opposite T:

BANANAVAN
27-03-09, 16:25
i was,nt trying to hide anything by getting mileage altered,just hoping to get things back right.i know its wrong to alter mileage thats the reason i am not naming the commpany i bought the van off becouse i am guilty of the same thing.differance being i,m not trying to con anybody with false mileage.

so what are you doing then? :confused:

like LIttle kate said the mileage is on the MOT cert you can look them up online
so if the previous one is higher then the current one then ......:eek:

the seller had the info to back up 149K but sold it to you with 102k on it? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused:

id vagcom it and look at past mots on the van , pick the highest number and put it on that, but like has been said you got to tell the buyer

TheDubFather
27-03-09, 16:31
If you have a van with 197 000 on the clock then change it to lets say 95 000 then put it up for sale you must tell the buyer what you have done.

If you know of a change and don't tell them that is the offence T:

So if you know of a change in the miles you must tell the buyer.

Word

galiform
27-03-09, 16:33
as i say in the main thread i didn't know you could check up on old mot,s until it was brought to my attention by someone who was considering buying the van(very embarasing).wouldn't have touched it with a barge pole if i had known.the reason for all of this is to get the true mileage so if sold on the next owner knows the score with written evidence unlike me.

galiform
27-03-09, 16:35
also the 149000 milage came up after i challenged him about the clocking about 4 months later when i had the vw readout stating the last service mileage of 131260.