Sleeping in laybys? [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Sleeping in laybys?

Maude
29-03-09, 16:14
Sorry if this seems a bit dumb why can't you park up in a layby somewhere nice and sleep the night, or can you?

I've heard about people being woken in the night by the fuzz and moved on.

I had a delivery job years ago where I had to be away all week, we got money for a B&B or travel lodge each night but I always kipped in the back on a camp bed and pocketed the cash I:, anyway I was never bothered by the police and I slept in all sorts of places, some not so clever as others but I was young then.

So what's the deal, is it legal or not and if not why?

Maude
29-03-09, 16:16
Sorry, just realised I've put this in 'T4 chat' and should probably be in 'van chat'.

Don't spank meI:.

auto-photos
29-03-09, 19:52
i would like to know an answer to this as well

BICKEY
29-03-09, 20:11
Not sure of the legalities but lorries park in lay-bys & sleep in thier cabs they leave the truck doors open to show there is nothing in there so they won't be disturbed they also park on the roads on industrial estates where i work because i've seen them,i think its to do with tachographs as they are req'd by law to rest but hey if its good enough for them. I'am sure some L/Dist lorry driver will enlighten us...:confused:

muddyhell
29-03-09, 20:25
We seem to get more and more campers parked up over night around here if a few of the laybys and even noticed them now using local Morrissons carpark to stay in over night,..

Theres a few wild camping websites out ther in tinternet land might be worth a google for some info..T:

Found this one...

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/

dbug
29-03-09, 20:32
nothing to stop you at all - except any local by laws that will be displayed on the layby usually on a post or lamp.

if you are all legal then go for it , you be amazed at the varying smells of you come across in the various laybys of this fine country. lol

auto-photos
29-03-09, 21:42
nice , haha , i suppose u need to be a heavy sleeper tho

gizago
29-03-09, 21:49
Hmmm, not sure about the legality of this. I'm a truck driver, and as such am required by law to take overnight rest breaks, I usually park in a services, or truck stop, but sometimes in a lay-by or industrial estate. This is perfectly legal, however, if you sleep in a caravan outside a private residence, you can be moved on under vagrancy laws. (so I believe), so not sure how that would affect you in a van/camper. I guess you would be okay as long as you stay in non-residential areas.

auto-photos
29-03-09, 22:02
ncp car parks, especially as they are now fragerencing them to stop them smelling of

t4-4 eva
29-03-09, 22:16
nothing to stop you at all - except any local by laws that will be displayed on the layby usually on a post or lamp.

if you are all legal then go for it , you be amazed at the varying smells of you come across in the various laybys of this fine country. lol

ill 2nd that !!! plus ive jumped out of my wagon on the passenger side in the mornin only to be greeted by a righteous richard the 3rd !!! human too !!!

Maude
29-03-09, 23:23
Thanks for the replies, looks like a thumbs up then.
It would only ever be quiet coastal roads the like anyway, just if we were at the beach on a saturday and fancied staying the night but not wanting to book into a campsite, yes I'm tight :D.

I remember when doing the deliveries I had to deliver to a shop in quite a rough looking part of Bristol, I got there after they shut so drove round the back to see if I could find somewhere to kip, a decent sized ally with a sort of yard at the end, this'll do I thought and put up the camp bed in the back. Was in the back reading a book when I heard some people outside, I turned off the light so they wouldn't know I was in there. There was a deal going on of the chemical kind which turned ugly as, from what I could make out, someone owed someone else a large amount of money, a lot of fisty cuffs later and slamming of car doors it all went quiet, I gave it a good half hour, while crapping myself I might add, before I went outside (baulkhead so had to get out to get in the front), there was quite a bit of blood on the floor. I don't know how bad things were and didn't want to know. Needless to say I found somewhere else to park up.

colese
30-03-09, 05:32
Thanks for the replies, looks like a thumbs up then.
It would only ever be quiet coastal roads the like anyway, just if we were at the beach on a saturday and fancied staying the night but not wanting to book into a campsite, yes I'm tight :D.

I remember when doing the deliveries I had to deliver to a shop in quite a rough looking part of Bristol, I got there after they shut so drove round the back to see if I could find somewhere to kip, a decent sized ally with a sort of yard at the end, this'll do I thought and put up the camp bed in the back. Was in the back reading a book when I heard some people outside, I turned off the light so they wouldn't know I was in there. There was a deal going on of the chemical kind which turned ugly as, from what I could make out, someone owed someone else a large amount of money, a lot of fisty cuffs later and slamming of car doors it all went quiet, I gave it a good half hour, while crapping myself I might add, before I went outside (baulkhead so had to get out to get in the front), there was quite a bit of blood on the floor. I don't know how bad things were and didn't want to know. Needless to say I found somewhere else to park up.

what you saying about bristol............LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:.

RubberBiker
30-03-09, 06:01
I often sleep over on long trips, and have never once been disturbed by the police or anyone else.

Lay-bys are not so good, as the wind buffeting from fast moving vehicles is enough to rock the van - best is a car park in a "nice" little rural town or village (ideally with public loos), as there is little night-time activity, no police presence, and a fair chance they leave the loos unlocked (or open/clean them about 5 or 6 in the morning). Pick a nice level parking space, without floodlighting blasting straight in your windows, but ideally exposed/near cameras etc that will discourage tea leaves.

My van has dark tints to side and rear windows and no curtains - so soesn't "look" like it's being used as a camper - this may help as many carparks have signage about no overnight sleeping in vehicles (though I've never seen this enforced). The police are only likely to rap on the windows if it's very obviously being used for a sleep-over - and if they do, I'd simply agree to move and ask them where they'd suggest is a good spot to use.

pic1london
30-03-09, 10:22
I had a T25 velle with tints all round & one night we stopped off for a snooze in a back street around the west end of London, well things got a bit heated & my lady & I were half way through having a bit of the other when I noticed this bloke idle up to my van.

At first I thought he was trying to get a sneaky peek but it became apparent that he was going to take a :*iss up my van.
I swiftly slid open the sliding window & said "Oi :*uck Off"
He jumped out of his skin & ran off :*issing over himself LOL: LOL: LOL:

Hooray for dark tints....A:

porangi.chris
30-03-09, 12:32
I have had my van for a couple of years now and never paid for camp-sites.

I think you need to be considerate (That's all of us so it don't get spoilt for anyone) and watch out for local customs! I have parked up a few times down Portland and there is a gorgeous spot looking out over the coast where I have never had a problem. Also used Pub carparks before. Normally a quiet word with the landlord along the lines of

"Alright mate, if I have a few beers in your establishment tonight and happen to fall asleep in my van which is parked in your car park - it wouldn't be a problem and you wouldn't be minded to call the police would you?"

works well.

We also managed to get hot showers once at the harbour masters where they provide services for visiting sailors - what a relief after three days on the road!

I would suggest that heavily tourist areas are more difficult for those of us out every weekend climbing or surfing etc. Found finding a park up down Saunton Sands really hard until we drove a few miles up the smallest road we could find!

If you are really stuck there are cheapo no frills farmers fields around as well in places such as pembroke.

auto-photos
31-03-09, 01:01
do you ask the farmer, what do u say

Rustybus
31-03-09, 04:34
Parked up on and industrial site in Liverpool one night (in my truck driving days), drew the curtains on the cab and switched my tele on (early evening). About 9 o'clock there a knock on the door and there's a copper stood there, best not to park here he says, but if you follow me, you can park in the police yard. :D Best nights kip I had while I was driving a truck T:

cindy
31-03-09, 06:51
I've slept in carparks and urban laybys this winter quite a few times and its not the best nights sleep but no-one has hassled me. A few problems are: parking in street next to tall buildings people can see in through the sky light :eek: ; pedestrians stop and talk right outside the van about the strange noises coming from the Eberspacher heater; and commuters start hurtling to work REALLY early in the morning :( BUT I guess if you can get away from people you will be OK. I did a few nights in a beautiful remote National Trust car park that had metal posts to stop travellers getting in (T4s can just squeeze through :) ) and these are protected by cameras. So far, I havent paid for any overnights....first one will be Lazy Lobb :)

celtic nomad
31-03-09, 16:52
I Think the best ones are the laybys that are hidden off the road by trees ,they give you protection from passing vehicles, deafen the noise and provide you with privacy. each time we go on our travels around the country we take note where these laybys are to use another time. On one occasion last year we left our home at 10pm to travel up to north yorks, Planning to use a layby towards the end of our journey, only trouble was after trying half a dozen they were all full.I think the most important thing not to do is drink alcohol,otherwise you are chancing it big time with the law, apart from that, just move on early next morning and we,ve had no problems ourselves. T:

boswell
31-03-09, 17:38
If you are discreet I've found you can stay overnight almost anywhere, weve done laybys, car parks, housing estates, industrial estates, service areas, moorland, forest you name it. Mines a high roof camper so I'm sure with a panel van type it's even easier.

auto-photos
31-03-09, 17:51
is there more chance of being moved on in a van to a camper do you think or vice versa??

T4Tomass
31-03-09, 17:53
You have to be careful though, we once stayed over in a carpark and got disturbed by a load of lads throwing rocks at the windscreen. I ran out with the table leg but they all sped off. They smashed the windscreen and dented the bonnet.
Seemed like a nice, peaceful, rural location before that happened.

boswell
31-03-09, 17:54
I would say a van attracts less attention, but then I've stay all over in my high roof camper and no ones battered an eye lid.

auto-photos
31-03-09, 18:15
ive seen a lovely place to stay in kidwelly , but when ive been working there the local youths late at night look a right ragged lot -

phil5556
31-03-09, 21:55
I've stayed in loads of places by the side of the road, car parks on beaches etc.. As long as you use some common sense and don't take the with where you stay you should be fine.

Only place I was unhappy about was in Bordeaux. We drove right to the edge of the city and found a quiet ish place but was a bit nervous about it.

Turned out fine though :)