T4 roof rails [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

T4 roof rails

aeroquatic
31-03-09, 23:45
After another incident this weekend with roof bars (3rd in just over a yr), which ended with my new canoe coming off and getting totalled by an oncoming car (very inconsiderate of him)

i've taken the leap to fitting roof rails to my van.. the longer the better, so can take canoes

Does any have suggestions of particular ones to use or any that they wish to sell

Cheers

Mark

greencaravelleguy
01-04-09, 18:26
maybe these 2.5 mtr long rails from Bluebird customs over 200 with with cross bars but they look the business!

http://www.bluebird-type2.co.uk/t4%20exterior%20parts.htm

the Green Geko
01-04-09, 21:14
Check out this thread T:

https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10595

floaty
01-04-09, 21:50
Here are my roof rail off a Volvo 940 estate. 10 from the scrappy. Thet are flat and sit nice either side of the roof supports

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/floaty/100_2436.jpg

T4wake
01-04-09, 22:06
After another incident this weekend with roof bars (3rd in just over a yr), which ended with my new canoe coming off and getting totalled by an oncoming car (very inconsiderate of him)

i've taken the leap to fitting roof rails to my van.. the longer the better, so can take canoes

Does any have suggestions of particular ones to use or any that they wish to sell

Cheers

Mark

3 times in just over a year.

Thats crazy. Forgive me for asking, but have you been using the correct bars and fitments?

vwaddict
01-04-09, 22:54
hope im not tempting fate here but ive used vw roofbars for 4 years in total now carrying 4 mountain bikes and never had any probs with mine .like above are you sure youve been fitting them properly

dmetcalfe
01-04-09, 22:59
get some roof bars like them off a volvo, or like my custom ones and then 4 u bolts and some old bars off a minibus roof rack(off free cycle) jobs a goodun and a fraction or the cost!! and good enough for a roof box ( or bikes but i aint tall enough)

aeroquatic
02-04-09, 21:25
3 times in just over a year.

Thats crazy. Forgive me for asking, but have you been using the correct bars and fitments?

Hey,

the bar and feet are fine, heavy duty ones from halfrauds. The other two times were in my partners fiesta but that was a design fault (long story)

Just seem to be jinxed at moment. Spent ten years previously carrying kayaks and canoes with no probs.

Twas a weird one as i tripled checked them that days. Hmm will keep an eye out for volvo or some other large estate as they look the ones i need

cheers guys

T4wake
02-04-09, 21:53
You say thay you want the rails long. I presume this is because you're canoe's are pretty long.

Personally I would not be strapping a big and long heavy canoe to the roof bars which I have just drilled and fixed to the sheet metal of the van roof. I have some from a chrysler which are probably not as strong as a volvo. They are fine for a roof box etc, but if your canoe is pretty long I would be very dubious.

At worst I suppose I am thinking of a big sea canoe or something similar.