Door mirrors, do they fold back??? [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Door mirrors, do they fold back???

caddyboy
15-04-09, 22:10
Before I go and snap mine off do they fold back?? I tried but didnt want to push them too far!

Managed to borrow a garage to keep me van in for a while, it fits but would fit better if the mirors folded back.

lardyb
15-04-09, 22:11
keep pushing they will go with a bit of encouragement

caddyboy
15-04-09, 22:19
No things to flick inside? Just a straight push back?

Reason I ask is cos I knacked one of me Seat Inca mirrors by pushing it back without flicking a little tab on the inside.

Jurasik
15-04-09, 22:26
Mine (electric) push back & lock in the folded position. You have to release the lock (red lever) by pushing it into the hniged area. Watch out though, the spring is very strong, so let the mirror back gradually. If you let it snap back, you may break it. This is what happened to my passenger mirror. :eek:

Jim Doodle
16-04-09, 00:10
mine folded back this week for the first time, as a fiat ducato driver plowed into it! Smashed his glass only knocked mine back, karma for buying french vans...

David
16-04-09, 07:18
Manual just push back, but as said to release press the red tab and slowly release the mirror. Watch you're fingers.

NB get ready for the blood curdling noise when you fold them back! You're not a true T4'er until you've heard that noise:D

bigcat
16-04-09, 07:18
They fold backwards easily enough, sounds like you're gonna break stuff,be firm, but gentle as they say, but they'll be ok. To put them back to normal, release the little orange /red catch between the mirror body and the fixed triangular bit, and gently let the mirror fold forward,by holding it against the spring tension T:

1-star
16-04-09, 08:35
Manual just push back, but as said to release press the red tab and slowly release the mirror. Watch you're fingers.

NB get ready for the blood curdling noise when you fold them back! You're not a true T4'er until you've heard that noise:D

Oh sweet jesus....the noise!! Mine feel as though they'll implode everytime I fold them back, and, it doesn't seem to get any smoother no matter how much WD I've sprayed!

karlos
16-04-09, 08:36
mine the same a massive noise i have old and a new one fitted and both the same

David
16-04-09, 09:06
The first time I heard "The Noise" was on a ferry, thought the guy had snapped them off, didn't even realise they folded at that stage. Nearly got out and flattened the guy until I realised

greyfox
16-04-09, 14:43
used to fold mine in every night, because it was parked on the road. used to smile to myself when doing it very late, in a quiet resedential street. would expect 10 faces at
bedroom windows wondering what the eck was going on...I:

Shadowfax
18-04-09, 11:57
I used to fold mine back until the near side one made an unusual noise one day! The mechanism went and I can figure out how to take it apart and fix it. It stays in normal position just fine but if you try to push it in, it sort of folds down now...

Has anyone ever taken one apart?

rhinochaser
18-04-09, 12:28
they fold in towards the van- not sure if they go the other way
T:

Samiguel
18-04-09, 14:14
The spring (rubber bungy?) that holds the mechanism together has gone on mine. Any ideas on how to connect it back up?

greyfox
18-04-09, 14:42
not gonna type it all again.......I:

https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=31295&highlight=door+mirrors

JIMMYJAMES
18-04-09, 16:22
I have to fold mine to stop the local wood pigeons and pheasants roosting on them. If i dont fold them in they use them as perches, the mirrors get all caked in $h1t and i cant see anything. All that in just one evening, its a Drawback from living in the sticks i guess but i wouldn't change it.

The noise never gets any better, i still think its going to fall off in my hand every time!

ddixonuk
19-04-09, 10:49
Just did mine, didnt even know they went back. Wish id known before some T*at smashed my drivers side mirror! Bit of a creak but not too scary once i did have the confidence they were supposed to go back!