Annoying warning symbol! [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Annoying warning symbol!

vwdave12345
18-04-09, 17:50
Hi all,

Recently this logo pops up randomly when driving. I had a look in my T4 manual but no luck. :( Could someone please tell me what this symbol stands for...

Here it is: http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/2595/annoyingsymbol.png

You wouldn't believe how hard it is to take a picture of it. :D

Thanks for the help

Regards Dave

lardyb
18-04-09, 17:55
brake warning sensor
later t4s had wear sensors fitted to the pads and when you get worn brakes it breaks a loop in the pads.
they need to be replaced with proper ones or the light will stay on

rjm
18-04-09, 18:00
I agree, it can be annoying all these lights, but better to be warned, rather than finding out you need discs as well.

auto-photos
18-04-09, 18:04
its a sensor to tell you if ufos are near

danster
18-04-09, 18:26
but they have a habbit of coming on for no reason my pads are perfect but bit of rain or full lock can make it come on

slimbo
18-04-09, 18:30
this is your freind

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:qKzIJJDjUR2gdM:http://www.silverprint.co.uk/pics/Gaffa-Tape.jpg

Tonio
18-04-09, 18:31
Quite possible its a loose connection on one of the pad sensors then. Worth having a root round the brakes to see what condition the plugs and leads going to the pads are in.

vwdave12345
18-04-09, 18:38
Okay, thanks for the quick advice guys, appropriate the help:)

Dave

aggie
18-04-09, 19:22
Sensors are only fitted to the nearside front inner pad and the offside rear inner pad.How they work is if the senser circuit is earthed(usually pads are low) or broken(usually insecure connectors) then the light will come on and stay on.Sometimes the warning lamp will come on sporadically this is usually due to the pads getting low so the wire is occassionally earthing on the brake disc,some mechanics or DIYer's are baffled as to how the connectors are released and can often brake them to get them appart when fitting new pads this can often lead to problems and the lamp coming on occassionally.Each time the ignition is switched off and then later switched on again the light will often go out until the fault is detected again and the lamp will illuminate once again.The lamp will always be on if the pads with the sensors are so worn down that the wire is always earthed on the brake disc or there is a permanent brake in the circuit...
Solution-check the relevent pads with the sensors and check the connectors from these pads.

SyncroGTI
18-04-09, 19:50
This light has been on permanently for over a month now on my van (the previous owner said it was always on). :eek:
I have replaced all discs and pads due to them being well past their sell by date and the light is.....yes you guessed it still on.
The brake fluid is fine and at the maximum level, brakes work really well.

Guess I will have to spend ages trying to find the problem elsewhere now.

Mark

aggie
18-04-09, 20:01
This light has been on permanently for over a month now on my van (the previous owner said it was always on). :eek:
I have replaced all discs and pads due to them being well past their sell by date and the light is.....yes you guessed it still on.
The brake fluid is fine and at the maximum level, brakes work really well.

Guess I will have to spend ages trying to find the problem elsewhere now.

Mark

Check the connections from the pad wires,try disconnecting the pad warning wires and shorting th circuit with a piece of wire then check the lamp.Its much easier to do than to explain if only you were closer

SyncroGTI
18-04-09, 22:26
You be in Cornwall sir?

Resto
18-04-09, 22:42
correct me if i be wrong does it not need to be reset after

SyncroGTI
18-04-09, 23:34
I have tried that and unfortunately a reset does not cure it either :(

chunder
19-04-09, 08:14
just to throw in another idea, i had this on a late caravelle and it turned out to be switch on the brake master cylinder side of things, am sure it came up using snap on scannerT: had gone down the route of pads wire etc hope this helps ( this light also acts as a bit of a management light for braking system if got abs!!!)

squiz
19-04-09, 08:16
I had same problem with this light on an old bmw...it was the sensor that was at fault..it connected from the loom to the caliper...i bought the sensor and replaced it couldnt work out why the light stayed on...the new sensor was faulty. Not sure if it the same system in our t4 tho !

Smokey Fontaine
19-04-09, 08:37
Mine is permanently on too but i have dangeling wires off on the FNS. I have twisted the cables together to get rid of the light but the light is still on. I am guessing the cable is broken further up, it does feel quite brittle so maybe that is the issue.

Smokey.