What is correct? [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

What is correct?

ICUALICE
18-04-09, 19:05
I have searched on this forum for many hours but have found a difference of opinion,

I am looking at a panel van but wish to put some rear seats in with seatbelts(for the kid) but i can remove the seats if needed.

Is this possible and safe????

many thanks

jai

rhinochaser
18-04-09, 19:09
there have been some very heated debates on here about safety and rear seats. theresa thread devoted to it, I will post a link if i can find it.

there are several options and you just have to decide what you feel comfortable with.

happy readingT:

ICUALICE
19-04-09, 08:03
anyone else got any advice?

Mozzer
19-04-09, 09:00
ICUALICE what does the ICU stand for???

team french
19-04-09, 09:24
seats fitted via the mushroom bolts, variotech rail systems, unwin rail system and other ones that are out there. Correctly fitted, should have no problemsT:

wind welder
19-04-09, 10:00
Hi

Here's my opinion (for what it's worth)

Yes you can fit (and replicate) genuine middle and rear position seat mounting points into a PANEL VAN SHELL.

However what you CANNOT replicate is the seat belt mountings and structure in the locations of the seat belt mounts.

The PANEL VAN SHELL (vin number starting WV1) has bonded skins in the window position between the "B" pillar and the "C" pillar just behind the drivers position.

Now you may not see that as a problem but if you take a look at a KOMBI/CARAVELLE SHELL (vin number starting WV2), you will see that the window opening is spotwelded all the way round the opening This feature imparts massive strength to the whole area and would disipate huge amounts of energy in the case of a crash, this is not the case with a PANEL VAN SHELL with it's bonded skin.

That covers the middle row seats,

The senario for the rear position belt mounting points is if anything worse, it has the same problems as above, and in addition because the seat belts are not directly mounted to the skin, but are mounted to a stalk that hangs down from the mounting point, (this imparts a twisting moment at the mounting point) if anything the the lack of spotwelding and internal strengthening is more crutial in this rear position.

Solutions.

Again in my opinion, The only true solution is to buy either a Kombi shelled van, (as used by people like AA, Coca cola, Whitbread etc) or a Caravelle shelled van.
As any additional strengthening retro fitted into a VAN SHELL is very likely to be inferior to the factory jobs.

Cheers Trev.

wiganlatic
24-04-09, 10:29
So do you have to have 3 point belt systems in the rear these days by law or can you just have a lap belt?

vol164
24-04-09, 10:53
why dont you just buy an ex aa van they have rear seats in them already and can be removed if need be

BANANAVAN
24-04-09, 11:22
http://www.vwn-aufbaurichtlinien.de/uploads/media/t4-4-modifications_closed_vehicles.pdf
https://vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=34378

surfdaddy
24-04-09, 17:36
Hi

Here's my opinion (for what it's worth)

Yes you can fit (and replicate) genuine middle and rear position seat mounting points into a PANEL VAN SHELL.

However what you CANNOT replicate is the seat belt mountings and structure in the locations of the seat belt mounts.

The PANEL VAN SHELL has bonded skins in the window position between the "B" pillar and the "C" pillar just behind the drivers position.

Now you may not see that as a problem but if you take a look at a KOMBI/CARAVELLE SHELL, you will see that the window opening is spotwelded all the way round the opening This feature imparts massive strength to the whole area and would disipate huge amounts of energy in the case of a crash, this is not the case with a PANEL VAN SHELL which with it's bonded skin.

That covers the middle row seats,

The senario for the rear position belt mounting points is if anything worse, it has the same problems as above, and in addition because the seat belts are not directly mounted to the skin, but are mounted to a stalk that hangs down from the mounting point, (this imparts a twisting moment at the mounting point) if anything the the lack of spotwelding and internal strengthening is more crutial in this rear position.

Solutions.

Again in my opinion, The only true solution is to buy either a Kombi shelled van, (as used by people like AA, Coca cola, Whitbread etc) or a Caravelle shelled van.
As any additional strengthening retro fitted into a VAN SHELL is very likely to be inferior to the factory jobs.

Cheers Trev.

Word perfect...could not have put it better!

You could fit a T5 Caravelle/Multivan seat with build in 3-point interia belts (and on some Shuttles) so eleiminates the need for seat belt mounting points. Thing here though is to make sure that the floor is sufficiently strong and the seat is mounted correctly to the chassis, not just fit in the floor with spread plates as this won't be safe.

As regards 3-point ineria vs lap belt.............forget mere legality alone, lap belts just ain't safe....think about it!

That all said; by the time you've faffed about doing the conversion and going to all the expense, you really would be better off just buying the vehicle you need instead; ditch the Transporter and put the cash towards a Caravelle...job done!:dunno: