Am I mad? [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Am I mad?

ICUALICE
26-04-09, 22:03
I am thinking of buying a ex-aa from someone that is over 300 miles away. I have got loads of pictures and they have answered all of my questions.

So am i mad buying a van without seeing it?

jai

speedypepper
26-04-09, 22:08
I am thinking of buying a ex-aa from someone that is over 300 miles away. I have got loads of pictures and they have answered all of my questions.

So am i mad buying a van without seeing it?

jai

Ummmm

Quite possibly

YES!!

tidytransporters
26-04-09, 22:09
you getting it from banwy vans?

ICUALICE
26-04-09, 22:20
no, private sale. They putting it through mot before i pick it up though

Maude
26-04-09, 22:24
Good ideas are boring, mad ideas are fun T:.

Mozzer
26-04-09, 22:25
I hope your not going to part with any cash until youve seen it...make sure you get a HPI check done and if you can afford it an inspection or take someone with you that know what there doing an MOT doesnt mean much when it comes to buying a van unseenI:

ICUALICE
26-04-09, 22:31
points taken, seen loads of photos also

just don't fancy paying to get a train/plane/bus to go 300 miles to return on public transport again.

BANANAVAN
26-04-09, 23:25
where is it maybe a member that is local to it might have a gander for you ?

Fatboy35
26-04-09, 23:54
I: I'm close to doing the same, ONLY 220 miles though, and he ain't getting ANY cash till i've had at least 30 mins test drive:D
I suspect i'll know within 2 mins, i did with the Audi, then took the other 28 mins looking REALLY hard for faults and trying to ignore my desire to buy it, beware, tis a powerfull force!
Good luckT:

Billybus
26-04-09, 23:56
not mad at all as long as you are thorough in your questions! take a sleeping bag and have a road trip on the return journey!

where is it?T:

nic 1084
27-04-09, 09:22
its best if someone you trust/know can go and have a look... but if they cant :* it!
i bought my harley on spec from eastbourne and a bmw bike from s wales ... picked up on route to a bike rally....

just dont part with cash until seen and tested.

class the trip as a day out, then if you dont buy, its not all wastedT:

scruffyherbert
27-04-09, 11:31
Depends how much cash you're going to part with before seeing it?
If it's 1000's then you're seriously mad and/or rich I:

If you're going to see it first before handing cash over then make a couple of days of it. Will break up the 300+ miles for you T:
If it's not what you expect then at least you've had a couple of days away!

As asked already, where is the van?

JandT
27-04-09, 11:35
We bought ours from an ebay ad. We paid cash when we got there and went up by train. We bought a return ticket, at the end of the a few quid is a better option than losing a few grand. Luckily for us the van has been great and was an excellent van.

ICUALICE
30-04-09, 23:19
UPDATE:- Travelled up from cornwall to essex on the train, then drove back in the same day.

2.5tdi ex-aa with 100,000 on the clock. Good condition but needs TLC. Got if for a snip also.

jai

t5 strauss
30-04-09, 23:34
i did a similar thing.. i live in south wales and i went to penzance to get my van...A: but don't take all that cash with you , meet up first go for a spine double check the van over then go to the bank with the seller and do a fund transfer with him present. all the best it will be worth the journey in the end.

ICUALICE
01-05-09, 12:58
thanks for all the advice.

got it for a little under 2,500

well pleased

jai

mccorry109
02-05-09, 16:47
i did a similar thing.. i live in south wales and i went to penzance to get my van...A: but don't take all that cash with you , meet up first go for a spine double check the van over then go to the bank with the seller and do a fund transfer with him present. all the best it will be worth the journey in the end.

I live in Penzance and drove up to South Wales to get mine!

Sounds like you got a pretty good buy there Icualice, have fun with it. I've had mine just over a year now and still get a kick out of it every time I look at it.

Kamper
02-05-09, 17:22
When I bought my T4 camper I got a company to check out the bus for me first before commiting to travel or buy. Quite reasonable 120 if I recall. The first T4 they checked for me had a number of faults that could have cost me thousands, though nothing that would have failed a MOT. The 2nd they checked for me was much better, they pointed out one fault and I discussed this with the owner and got the repair costs knocked off the asking price :)
As I was spending over 10k on a pro-conversion I didn't mind spending a few hundred making sure I wasn;t going to buy a dud.
There's a number of companies offering this service and most have national coverage and cover as many checks as an AA check would at a more affordable price!

The way I looked at it was - I know nothing about engines, etc. Cost of travel plus day off work were easily going to cost more than getting a pro to do it for me. DIY? Fk That! Get a pro in everytime is my motto!