Info about fixing your electric windows - all for 5!! [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Info about fixing your electric windows - all for 5!!

merlincat
04-05-14, 07:08
Hi

Work up this morning still cannot believe after 4 weeks of frustration, I have managed to fix my windows. T:T:

The long saga, about my windows has finally come to a close.

After purchasing a new Drivers Motor/PCB, I now have functioning windows!

BUT I do not like being beaten, so I carried on and looked at both of the PCBs.

The Passenger side PCB is 90% copy of the drivers side, except it has some additional capacitors/resistors at the top of the board near the connector.

The drivers side, definitely controls both sides. The comfort unit (under the seat) has very little input, and they will work with this unit unplugged.

On each PCB there is a relay (blue box on PCB) and large (compared the the others) capacitor.

What I did is test the Relay and the largest capacitor next to the metal guard that protects the capacitor from the relay. The relay coils were faulty, and finally when I had this PCB working. My window would only go down not up. So decided the relay had to be changed.

The capacitor was holding a charge, but for 10p I decided to change it as well.

Got the parts off Element14, for around 5.

At first, after fighting to get the old parts off the PCB (I invested in a electric solder pump 6.30) I put the new ones on, and nothing changed. Window motor not working. So I looked at my quality soldering and decided the capacitor needs to be seated again.

My second attempt was more fruitful, I could hear the relay clicking as the I pressed the button, and the passenger side window could be controlled from the drivers side. Checked the two bottom connectors that go into the motor casing, and there was Voltage going to it.

So pulled the motor apart and pulled the PCB out.

Cleaned and then reassembled. Found it is easier to put the PCB back last, as it needs to click into place.

Fingers Crossed, and they are both working!!

Parts:

ACT512 RELAY, 12VDC Part no:229229 4.09
CAPACITOR 12V Part no:2346591 0.102
Desoldering Soldering Iron Part no:2251950 6.30

Now if only I had the patience before I paid for a new unit, i'd be quids in. :(

I'll be ebaying all my spares in the next few days.

Passenger motor (2nd hand);
Drivers motor (fixed) ;
Driver side switch (not used);

Rob

Video below of window working.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/yourphotos?pid=6009206573599000930&oid=112887269860390835612

Lucymdenman
20-09-14, 09:41
Hi. Well done for sticking with it!! I have a similar fault where the passengers window or mirror has stopped working. I've examined both the passenger door pcb and the drivers door pcb and the comfort control module. The only visible fault I can see is there is green powdery corrosion on the drivers pcb and connector pins. I have cleaned them with contact cleaner although it hasn't solved the problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Fugu
02-10-16, 11:40
I know it's a really old thread, but I had a recent issue with the drivers window motor on my 2007 T5 recently which sometimes wouldn't go down or up - worse when it wouldn't go up!

I found the thread by Merlincat and just wanted to say a quick thank you for taking the time to post your fix. I followed it and purchased the items you mentioned and am pleased to report the window works perfectly now.

On another note to those of you out there thinking of replacing the motor, be careful buying them with the same part number for another car, Skoda, Polo etc. My experience was although the motor worked, the switch then worked in the opposite direction i.e. pull up to go down and the one touch function worked some of the time and then only to the height of a car window, not a van.

For example 6Y1959801 is stamped on my T5 motor, 6Y1959801 SK6 is as mentioned above.

Cheers

Duncan

rsjparker
10-11-16, 10:30
I know it's a really old thread, but I had a recent issue with the drivers window motor on my 2007 T5 recently which sometimes wouldn't go down or up - worse when it wouldn't go up!

I found the thread by Merlincat and just wanted to say a quick thank you for taking the time to post your fix. I followed it and purchased the items you mentioned and am pleased to report the window works perfectly now.

On another note to those of you out there thinking of replacing the motor, be careful buying them with the same part number for another car, Skoda, Polo etc. My experience was although the motor worked, the switch then worked in the opposite direction i.e. pull up to go down and the one touch function worked some of the time and then only to the height of a car window, not a van.

For example 6Y1959801 is stamped on my T5 motor, 6Y1959801 SK6 is as mentioned above.

Cheers

Duncan

Hi Duncan where did you get the parts from please, my driver window works fine but nothing on the passenger window or mirror, is that a similar fault to you?

steveoc
11-04-17, 20:55
Another message of thanks for this post! Neither of my windows were working, they both stopped suddenly. It took me a while to find this thread but I've since bought the 3.50 ACT512 relay (instead of 150 new drivers door unit which was the other conclusion I was coming to!). The relay is still available from Farnell, only slight issue is that there is a 3.95 charge for non-trade orders under 20. Justification to buy a few extras to take it over the limit! Relay part number is 2292929 (I think a digit is missing from the original post). Well worth buying the heated solder removal tool, I initially tried with a soldering iron and a normal solder removal and some solder wick, but the heated tool was much better at the job.

gwiz
31-10-17, 09:09
Thanks so much for doing the work to find this fix!!!
Had intermitant fault for two summers then stopped working in winter! Bought relay and pump of Farnel and set to work!! Pump a must!! Had to go round many times sucking but relay fell out in end!! New relay soldered in!! Put back and all worked!!!!! Except drivers would not go up!! Thought Id go over solder again as Im new to it!!
All works!!!!Fixed fo 20 and 250 plus saved!! And a finger up to VW for not supplying at least the PSB!!!

Thanks again!!!!!!

gwiz
31-10-17, 15:02
Ahhhh! back to beginning ! all worked bur once power off and over 10 seconds past all stopped working. if pull elec plugs out of window motor it all resets when put them back, will work for ever until ignition off for more than 10 secs and all stops!!! might try on more re solder but running out of puff!!!!! why does it reset when plugs cycled out and back.

gwiz
15-11-17, 16:14
Can I ask the Op (merlincat) if you think that only changing the relay and not the capitorciukd be my problem??
Element 14 have this one under your part no

RUBYCON 35PX100MEFC6.3X11 Electrolytic Capacitor, Miniature, 100 F, 35 V, PX Series, 20%, Radial Leaded, 6.3 mm

Is this the one?????

RogerP1952
15-11-17, 17:08
Can I ask the Op (merlincat)

He's not logged on since May so don't hold your breath waiting for a reply!

gwiz
15-11-17, 17:23
Guess not! Just like OP was determined not to give VW 200 plus to fix this! Gave it a go! But still in soup!
Dread buying new motor with pcb and still not working!
Thanks to all that have tried and posted!!

gwiz
16-11-17, 18:45
Just an update! Someone found this chat on vw polo forum.They having same problem and using same part no for window motor/ pcb!
The posters had good elec knowledge and fixed their windows using the above! The only extra work they did was to go over other main soldered joints!
I have only changed Reg and not the capacitor with no luck!
Anyone used a vw polo window motor ! Some have the same part no as mine (6Y1959801) is this a problem ?????
Lots in Ebay?? So wanted to try!!

dtm0211
31-01-19, 07:58
I would like to thank the original thread poster about this.
I had/am having the same issue.

I bought the micro relay and fitted it to the drivers side pcb - i must admit it was tricky - you definitely need a solder sucker pump to clear all of the ports when removing the old micro relay. Both windows worked perfectly after that!

However, this morning (freezing outside) when i started the van again they would not work so i am led to believe it was a problem with this relay AND it is a temperature issue also...

im now going to replace the thermal fuse and see.....

dtm0211
12-02-19, 13:09
so i replaced the thermal fuse - no joy.

I then replaced the 100UFarad capacitor in the window motor PCB and it worked once or twice.

if i unplug the window motor and plug it back it in it will work perfect - it is as though there is some part in the PCB that will not reset when i turn the ignition on and off?

i could just replace the motor but i would like to get a win over it:)

dtm0211
17-03-19, 20:55
just to update you guys on this in case it may be of help.
i decided to purchase a replacement drivers side window motor module.

the part number is 6Y1959801.
they are quite expensive on the second hand market being described as a window motor from a T5 (180 - 200 pounds)

HOWEVER it shares the exact same part number with a VW polo 2005 onwards, some skoda fabias and a roomster IIRC.
This may be of help in the scrappys/ searching online.

i got a polo one on the internet for 80 pounds sterling and it worked perfectly!

so i can only conclude that there is a fault on the control board outside the issue of the micro relay and capacitor.

hope this may be of help:)

cl51ffe
18-03-19, 22:01
My passenger door window won't work so tryed to use drivers side connectors to see if it was the motor , no it won't fit, different connectors but there was corrosion on drivers side put them back then drivers side won't work properly

Has anyone used a vedub or travelin lite electric conversion kit with a van that all ready had electric windows at 125 and 4yr guarantee for both windows it's cheaper than second hand