Won't turn off [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Won't turn off

8 Ball
28-04-09, 12:05
Went to switch my ignition off this morning but engine is possessed and keeps running.

Could it be gremlins at play or maybe a faulty ignition switch??:confused:

Turlough
28-04-09, 12:19
sounds like IGN switch faulty

can you take key out and its still running?

lardyb
28-04-09, 13:06
or the rings are goosed and it is running on the engine oil??? best get it checked

Dub Lovin' Criminal
28-04-09, 13:33
Is it ex-AA? Have you accidentally switched the idler switch thingy on? If so, try letting the handbrake off - that should stall it.

Van Man
28-04-09, 13:47
Sounds like you electric stop on the injector pump is nafed.

spanner monkey
28-04-09, 14:18
Sounds like you electric stop on the injector pump is nafed.

I agree with the above, the stop solenoid is probably jammed open, a diesel will run with its ignition switch off when the solenoid fails to close. It should close under spring pressure and open when the solenoid is powered. It is unlikely that the ignition switch would fail in a way that would leave the solenoid powered.
Im not sure how easy it is to get to but you should be able to test it for power with the ignition on and it should be unpowered with the ignition off, if that works then remove it and check that it is not full of that is jamming it open.
I had exactly the same problem on a citroen a few years ago and it was an easy fix, that car had a manual override on the outside of the diesel pump so you could stop the engine by manually pressing the solenoid into the closed position.
I dont have a manual for my t4 but Im sure the above item is the problem

perky15
28-04-09, 15:17
i had this fault on my o;d t4 it was the ingition switch.

hoverjon
28-04-09, 15:50
i would go straight for the stop start solinoid and test its operation!

8 Ball
28-04-09, 18:24
Engine still runs even with the key out.
Had a quick look for the stop solenoid but cant see it on the pump.
Any one got any ideas where it is? pics would be handy !

spanner monkey
03-05-09, 23:21
any update on this one ?

bearing
04-05-09, 07:38
any update on this one ?

It ran out of diesel I reckon. I:

golfgtioz
04-05-09, 07:38
any update on this one ?

it might be still running .. I:

hendrix
17-06-09, 18:48
I agree with the above, the stop solenoid is probably jammed open, a diesel will run with its ignition switch off when the solenoid fails to close. It should close under spring pressure and open when the solenoid is powered. It is unlikely that the ignition switch would fail in a way that would leave the solenoid powered.
Im not sure how easy it is to get to but you should be able to test it for power with the ignition on and it should be unpowered with the ignition off, if that works then remove it and check that it is not full of that is jamming it open.
I had exactly the same problem on a citroen a few years ago and it was an easy fix, that car had a manual override on the outside of the diesel pump so you could stop the engine by manually pressing the solenoid into the closed position.
I dont have a manual for my t4 but Im sure the above item is the problem

Can anyone explain where to find the stop solenoid?

GoldFever
17-06-09, 19:08
Can anyone explain where to find the stop solenoid?

Try here (http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/vw/TR/1997/186/49/2284154/), hopefully you can see a picture of the injection pump...its item number 35 on top of the pump.
Let me know if you cant see it, and i'll do a screen capture and upload it T:

hendrix
17-06-09, 19:11
Thanks mate but it won't let me in - a screen capture would be great :D

hendrix
17-06-09, 19:16
OHHH registered and now I can see it - thanks :D

GoldFever
17-06-09, 19:18
Coloured it red T:

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn55/dukeriesmike/Transporter/fuelcutoff.jpg

GoldFever