anyone changed aerial for a different type? [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

anyone changed aerial for a different type?

Billybus
02-05-09, 22:29
anyone done this? think the metal type make the van look old or like a builders van and was considering swapping it for a beesting type aerial similar to vauxhalls and the newer golfs.

any heads up on what might or might not fit? cheersT:

Maude
02-05-09, 22:38
Do you mean a bee sting where the original ariel is or in the roof? If in the roof then anything will fit as you will be drilling a hole to suit. I've got a universal one from ebay for mine, haven't fitted it yet but it will be going up the front of the roof so I can do the nut up with the interior light out, also I didn't want the hassle of dropping all the carpet off the roof to route the cable if it went in the rear. Can't remember the exact price but it was less than a tenner including an extra extension cable.T:

CC84
02-05-09, 22:38
I've put a Hirschmann electric aerial in mine - mounted it inside the bonnet then directed it through the aerial hole
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo324/cheekychappy84/122.jpg

Can't really see it there but it looks cool and is only on show when needed so has the safety aspectT:

Billybus
02-05-09, 22:55
meant where the original aerial is mate, don't really wanna put any holes in her if i can avoid it!

cheekychappy - pm coming re lightsT:

CC84
02-05-09, 23:21
Cheers billybusT: T4 toad is doing a threat soon i thinkA:

colese
03-05-09, 19:13
Got a golf 16v beesting on the rear of mine mate...with stubby mast.:ILU:

Not the best photo,but you can make it out.:ILU:

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii149/coleset4/19042009683.jpg

rhinochaser
03-05-09, 19:27
fiddly to replace arial on the 2.5tdi- as wing has to come off and cant really fit a motor like cheekychappy as not enough room

i started to and gave up:(

greencaravelleguy
04-05-09, 17:34
Anymore info on this as really handy, mine got snapped off ages ago and have to put up with the radio going in and out of signal it drives me mad! Got a replacement one from German & S but looked to hard to fit. Is it better to bypass and fit a new one? Can I use the existing cable? Help appreciate as always.

Bryn
05-05-09, 09:52
Im in the same boat, aerial has broken off and now need to replace...its a bit of a :* to get to hidden in the wing.

vol164
05-05-09, 10:02
yeah i fitted a beesting on the back of the roof on mine as i had one hole to blank off with something where the wiring went through where the beacons used to be,

Billybus
05-05-09, 11:27
yeah i fitted a beesting on the back of the roof on mine as i had one hole to blank off with something where the wiring went through where the beacons used to be,

nice one A:

greencaravelleguy
05-05-09, 12:04
might be sounding like a dumb-ass but do i need to go out and buy a load of aerial lead though and then take the roof lining out and run it all along? Sounds like a time consuming job perhaps there is a simple solution? Thanks though all good for ideas.

RubberBiker
05-05-09, 12:57
I've replaced the original aerial like-for-like both on my current van (2.4D) and previous one (1.9TD) - and unless the later models are drastically different - it's a very simple job.

First unclip and remove the plastic covers around the battery and pollen filter, then the the push-on/screw-off clips on the soundproofing in the wing. Then there's a screw-together coaxial coupling in the aerial cable, undo that - then just slacken off and take off the top-nut on the aerial, and out it comes.

The only problem is the outrageous dealer price. Some have said German & Swedish do them - but when I've phoned G&S I've been told not - possibly it's a stock number not listed on the website.

As far as radio reception goes, I swapped from the original Sony unit to a Becker, and it was a revelation - rock solid reception now.

Just have to be a little careful of the overhanging hedges around the country lanes where I live - all to easy to finish off a wing aerial.

just dan
05-05-09, 15:11
meant where the original aerial is mate, don't really wanna put any holes in her if i can avoid it!

cheekychappy - pm coming re lightsT:

beestings aerials are designed to fit on a roof the problem with a short aerial in the wing is poor reception a short aerial can be effected by the van interfeering with the signal or as i found the wipers everytime they'd go up i'd loose signal. if you want to actually listen to the radio it'll have to be a long one on the wing (electric or not) or a stubby fella on the roof.

good luck with whatever you decide.T:

clunkey
05-05-09, 15:34
problem solved T:

https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=32574

greencaravelleguy
06-05-09, 19:56
problem solved T:

https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=32574

Excellent top work!