Tailgate speaker problem. [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Tailgate speaker problem.

kingstonandy
03-05-09, 18:06
Having just spent all afternoon fitting a pair of 9X6" speakers and new hardboard door card I seem to have a problem.
The extra weight means that the tailgate no longer stays up on its own, I know other people have similar speakers fitted presumably without problem so I'm wondering if my gas struts are on their way out?

Andy

bearing
04-05-09, 08:03
I'm sure I've read a few posts on here saying that the struts need uprating a little to cope with the extra weight.

Are you from up Kingston Hill?

l34sm
04-05-09, 08:21
Maybe taking your rear wiper mech off will counter the extra weight. I was reading about this in a few other topics, and thinking about it dont really use mine ever, so the extra weight in the rear door is a waste.
Worth a try, and would save a lot of money for new struts. The mechanism probably weights as much as 2 speakers + door card.

kingstonandy
04-05-09, 08:31
Are you from up Kingston Hill?

No, the other side of town. I acquired the username when I lived in Kingston Surrey.

kingstonandy
04-05-09, 08:33
Maybe taking your rear wiper mech off will counter the extra weight. I was reading about this in a few other topics, and thinking about it dont really use mine ever, so the extra weight in the rear door is a waste.
Worth a try, and would save a lot of money for new struts. The mechanism probably weights as much as 2 speakers + door card.

That is a first class idea. The glass is heavily tinted and obscured with a steel grille so not much good for looking through anyway.
I'll try removing the motor and report back.

Andy

l34sm
04-05-09, 08:46
I am going to do this as well, so i can fit a roll down tent to the edge of teh tailgate....open the gate, undo the velcro and hey presto - double the interior of the van. Now just need to learn to sew!

BANANAVAN
04-05-09, 08:59
http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=567&category_id=71&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=6

http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=566&category_id=71&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=6

BRICKWERKS is your friend!