T5 174 hp & T4 Caravelle Vell 102 hp been driving the both [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

T5 174 hp & T4 Caravelle Vell 102 hp been driving the both

greencaravelleguy
06-05-09, 20:39
Hi just wanted to put down some thoughts and findings as I have been comparing the two vehicles and trying to sum up what I think about the two machines.

So my personal vehicle is the '97 velle with 87k on the clock and the 102 intercooler version and is pretty powerful and quick for a van. I have also been driving around in a guy's 55reg 174hp six speed Transporter (T30 version) and its a diferent type of vehical really there are things I like about both the vehicles and things I don't like. I have just done a 650 miles trip from Bristol to Duram in my velle and also two trips adding up to the same miles in the T5 as well so had lots of time mull over.

The T5 has got ton's of power and its sound silly but its almost too much its hard to keep the darn thing slow and within the speed limits at times as its not my vehicle and someone's I'm working for it makes me nervous too a bit! The T5 has 85k on the clock so similar to the velle but much younger and still very taught perhaps too much so and needs some slack as not forgiving. Not in a negative way just for me I'm not used to modern cars/vans. There's no turbo whilstle noise on the T5 which is maybe a good thing but I do like hearing it on the velle. The brakes work too well its juddery and harsh and on my velle I don't have to jump on them but its smoother and more gradual. The T5 174 has a GTI type steering wheel which is nice and the indicator stick can just be touched a little flash a few times and other nice touches.

Is the gear change nicer on the dash? Not really so sure I quite like resting my hand down on my velle one and is not really in the way or too far to reach its fine. I do like having a sixth gear though on the T5 for quietness and economy. I found the seats a bit hard on the T5 for me I guess you could say I have got quite used to the more worn in feel of my T4 but I quite like that and the T5 had a huge front window which sloped a bit more than on the velle but it felt more van like.

So would I swop my velle for a T5 174hp? You know what I wouldn't I like my velle its in good nick for its age and I like the steering, gear change, brakes and simple design. So not quite ready to go over to the T5 quite yet and don't really have a chance to yet either so maybe in a few years time I will though but the Velle's fine for now.

Turlough
06-05-09, 22:10
Try the comparison using a 174 bhp Caravelle would even it up a little more ;)

The T5 Velle seats ... steering wheel ..... capitans armrests ..... all missing from the Panel van you used

:ILU:

stevie4
06-05-09, 22:34
Hi you get use to the power of the T5 once you owned one for some time, I can remember first driving my 174 bhp, it was scary. but now it's ok.

Thanks Steve ...:cool:

siwilkie
06-05-09, 22:37
he is right i have been lucky enough to own both t4 vells and t5 velle and the t5 is a more modern drive but i must admit a bit bland no real sense of history I know its but the t4 seems a little closer to its older sister and a bit more dna from its gran
i have had a bay and a split i wouldnt go back to one of them (getting too old for been shuck to death )
im with you t4 for personal and a t5 for work ...and i love both of mine

but i do enjoy the grunt of the 174 its even better when mapped to 200 gets you there very quick.

Jimbo
07-05-09, 06:20
There is another option here, you make your T4 as quick as the 174, Injectors, remap and a bit of jiggery pokery and you have the best of both worlds. :D

There is planty about tuning on these pages ....

greencaravelleguy
07-05-09, 07:49
he is right i have been lucky enough to own both t4 vells and t5 velle and the t5 is a more modern drive but i must admit a bit bland no real sense of history I know its but the t4 seems a little closer to its older sister and a bit more dna from its gran
i have had a bay and a split i wouldnt go back to one of them (getting too old for been shuck to death )
im with you t4 for personal and a t5 for work ...and i love both of mine

but i do enjoy the grunt of the 174 its even better when mapped to 200 gets you there very quick.

Yes that is a good statement T4 for pleasure and T5 for work! I told a T5 owner that I thought my T4 had more sole but he told me where to go and didn't like that. The T5 is nice in its own right and quite different to the T4 I guess

greencaravelleguy
07-05-09, 07:51
Try the comparison using a 174 bhp Caravelle would even it up a little more ;)

The T5 Velle seats ... steering wheel ..... capitans armrests ..... all missing from the Panel van you used

:ILU:

Hi the one I drive did have armrests like the Velle albeit rather skinny ones with some plastic vinyl on them. I think they were firm seats but most modern cars are like that now but not as hard as the seats on a National Express bus! But year I would like to test drive a new Caravelle at some point too. cheers

greencaravelleguy
07-05-09, 07:54
There is another option here, you make your T4 as quick as the 174, Injectors, remap and a bit of jiggery pokery and you have the best of both worlds. :D

There is planty about tuning on these pages ....

Its great aint it the amount you can do to the T4 been on the forum now for nearly 2 years and read all the mod's threads. 150hp would be just right for me I think as got six points already!

tomcat-50
07-05-09, 08:31
T5 is like a lot of modern motors its a bit sterile. Love my T4 to death its got alot more soul then a T5.

vwaddict
07-05-09, 16:58
if your over 6ft the t5 is just too small my knee hits of the stupid dash mounted gearstick .il stick to my t4

getrad
07-05-09, 17:42
Had two T25's these were loads of fun, but eat fuel. Both were 2.1 petrol Syncro's. Moved onto first T4 in 99, lwb 2.5 petrol syncro velle (short nose), modding was so easy, wind down the front suspension, change the rear springs, very user friendly. Moved onto same model with long nose, had this for 5 years. 115 bhp,was quick enough. Only problem I moved back to UK and didnt want to keep a LHD. Went for a T5, not much research done but needed a reliable velle for work and windsurfing. T5 has been mapped, lowered etc but does not have a place in my heart like the T4 did. Lacks character, breading and looks. I miss her!!!:confused::(

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww98/getradbill/Whitebus.jpg

Jurasik
07-05-09, 18:11
T5 is like a lot of modern motors its a bit sterile. Love my T4 to death its got alot more soul then a T5.

I drove the boss's 174 sportline the other day. I also found it too quiet & bland. Damn quick mind you, but I like my T4 better!

AJC Conversions
07-05-09, 18:34
Must say i have had a T4 and T5, I think the T5 is the better option.

My wife prefers the t4.

I like the dash mounted gearstick, im 6 foot and have no worries at all.

Does it matter what it is when your vans parked up, beers are out and the sun shines down at the beech? :cool: