Non T4 parts from a scrappy [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Non T4 parts from a scrappy

hendrix
07-05-09, 18:26
Wotcha folks!

Had a pleasant afternoon today furtling around scrapyards and came out with a big grin on me face :D

Various VW badges ( I painted mine and don't like 'em)
Pug 106 sunroof with interior trim
Skoda Felicia roof rails
VW Passat Cab light with passenger reading light

All for the princely sum of 12 English pounds :D

Apart from the obvious seats - seeing as scrappy T4's are like hen's teeth and those you find are stripped barer than a new born baby - what other non T4 bits are worth picking up in the yards? :)

muddyhell
07-05-09, 20:41
As kids Dad used to have us walking out with pockets full of bulbs and the odd wiper blade inside the jumper...I:

Theres lots of daft things you can find if its a good scrappy, look at tool kits..have found snap-ons hidden in them..new bulb and fuse kits, have you a red warning triangle..get one for 50p T:

And back in the old days when scappies like tyres the spare wheel is always worth looking at..amazing how many cars have brand spanking new tyres on them..but don't know any car that'll run a 235/45/18 as a spare...doh!!

stridey
07-05-09, 20:55
Compatible alternators and a fuel pump out of a Passat. Handy. Its so satisfying getting bits dirt cheap, and knowing you are re-using stuff that has a lifetime of use in them.

Have a good look at the VAG cars for bits.

Sunroofs are fun. And surprisingly easy.

Very satisfying getting bits...

I just saved some tiny ickle struts from my donor Audi 90 which will be used to prop up the bonnet as a nice mod.

just dan
07-05-09, 21:48
i got felicia roof bars also i've also recently grabbed a four tip exhaust a polo open air webasto ragtop sunroof gold mk3 sunroof motor and switch a mk3 golf fuel pump and a bunch of bits actually designed for a t4 as well. scrappies rock:ILU:

spanner monkey
07-05-09, 21:53
Golf interior light with a delay and a map light slots straight into a t4, also fits in your pocket if you know what im saying, remember to get the plug too

team french
07-05-09, 22:01
mk3 golf tdi 5th gear's will do some good business id say, got mine for a few quid from the scrappy something like 180 from vw(new) i also got the intercooler pipes and all the fuses and relays but he didnt see themI:

vwstevens
08-05-09, 12:49
I might be missing something here but is it fair to get a good deal from a scrappy and then to rip him off by stealing bits? They wont be around for long if we all behave in this way......
My local scrappy is not cheap for bits but he is the most helpful and pleasant guy you could wish to meet. He is not the only one i've bought from and they have all been good guys and really dont deserve the treatment some here seem to think is OK.
Rant over:)

Mozzer
08-05-09, 13:12
Hendrix would agree the idea of putting bits in your pocket

.................................................. ........is WRONG.....................................

isnt it Hendrix.....................I:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:

mind you smuggling that 2.5 tdi engine out up yer jumper was the work of an international diamond thief.......:cool:

(ps only kidding..no scrap was stolen)

hendrix
08-05-09, 13:16
I might be missing something here but is it fair to get a good deal from a scrappy and then to rip him off by stealing bits? They wont be around for long if we all behave in this way......
My local scrappy is not cheap for bits but he is the most helpful and pleasant guy you could wish to meet. He is not the only one i've bought from and they have all been good guys and really dont deserve the treatment some here seem to think is OK.
Rant over:)

I'm sure he is a nice guy - I'm also sure he doesn't live on a council estate, drive a 15 year old skoda or holiday in Clacton!
:D

spanner monkey
08-05-09, 13:17
Good for you!! but Im not going to feel guilty about spending 40 at a scrappy and then putting a pounds worth of bolts and bulbs in my pocket that would otherwise end up in the crusher a week later, I always pay for the worthwhile bits.

hendrix
08-05-09, 13:18
Golf interior light with a delay and a map light slots straight into a t4, also fits in your pocket if you know what im saying, remember to get the plug too

I didn't get the :* plug! I'll have to go back for it and offer the chap some more cash.;)
How do you wire it up Mr Monkey?
My existing light has only 3 wires but the new one has 5 I think?

golddust
08-05-09, 13:31
I didn't get the :* plug! I'll have to go back for it and offer the chap some more cash.;)
How do you wire it up Mr Monkey?
My existing light has only 3 wires but the new one has 5 I think?

The mk3 golf ones with passenger light have 4 wires to them.

I also need a wiring guide as I got a VR6 one as it has a sunroof switch built in....

spanner monkey
08-05-09, 14:59
Ive added info to my build blog see the last entry, hope this helpsT:

hendrix
08-05-09, 17:12
Nice one - thanks mate - this forum has saved me 's .................................................. ..................then again it's inspired me to part with a few too:D