Heater / Blower Fail! [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Heater / Blower Fail!

mickle141
10-05-09, 09:16
Just bought me a T4 Caravelle, which is nice, but the front heater/blower wont work. The ones in the back work fine. Any ideas people? Are the motors prone to going duff? (Yes i've checked the fuse)
Ta

l34sm
10-05-09, 10:42
the front middle heaters do not heat, only the footwell and the windscreen heat. The middle row should blow just cold

nealglover
10-05-09, 10:55
the front middle heaters do not heat, only the footwell and the windscreen heat. The middle row should blow just cold

The middle 3 in the centre of the dash only blow cold, the outer two
On the left and right if the dash should blow hot if hot selected.

mickle141
10-05-09, 18:49
OK, right, it has 3 separate heater/blowers. 2 in the back of the vehicle and one in the front, (it used to be a minbus), so there are 3 switches on the dash, 2 for the back and one for the front. The one for the front does nothing, I've checked the fuse and thats fine.

mickle141
11-05-09, 07:16
The only thing I think it can be is the motor. Has anyone had any experience of the motors going knackered?

Fatboy35
11-05-09, 08:06
Not with VW but, The blower motor on the Audi (so VAG) stopped working after being intermittant for a few weeks, The car had done monster miles 200,000+ and had aircon, so the motor was probably 'on' most of the time, It was the Brushes to the motor armature had worn down to the limit of the spring adjustment (sorry about the technical description) and no longer made contact.
All I had to do was replace the brushes, got new ones from a washing machine service place for 4 (cheaper than 290 for a new motor from Audi!) Soldered the new ones on where i had removed the old ones.
The VERY helpful Audi technician explained what the problem probably was (quite common on high milers), how to get to it and how to test, if you have a multi meter then check you are getting power to the plug that feeds the motor before you try and remove it.
And as for where the blower motor is on the T4 i have no idea, Sorry,
Happy hunting.

mickle141
11-05-09, 08:17
Thanks for that. I've had some bits of the dashboard out, I think i can see where it might be... What I could really do with is somebody who has changed one before... Anyone?