Washing your wagon..... [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Washing your wagon.....

Simon m
13-05-09, 10:07
How long does it take you?.

after spending from 7 til 845 lastnight giving my new (to me) '99 T4 a wash & dry.

Then looking over the paintwork to decide what can be done to give it a better finish, I then clayed the bonnet & wings using meguiars smooth surface quik clay & quik detailer.

Apart from DIY repaired paint chips the paintwork(THANKYOU VW!!!) felt smooth & glossy.

I then grabbed my cleaner wax(again from meg's, no I don't work for them). & hand waxed the bonnet & wings as per instructions. (I love the smell of cleaner wax...but thats another story!) & hand buffed them.

At this point I was dissappointed with the finish as there were major cloudy area's & weird marring, not too many scratches fortunately.

So I whipped out my 30 quid halfords car buffer & applied a coat of Meg's Gold Class paste wax(best product a keen amateur car detailer can buy in my opinion). After a while of running the buffer back & forth I removed the surface ecess with micro fibre towel & wash astonished at the results. talk about different!.

So for 3ish hours work I got a VERY shiny "almost" new looking bonnet & from wings.

Just the rest of the van to clay/clean wax/paste wax & buff now then!!!!!!

I blame my mate who's a car detailer by trade....GIT!

Simon m
13-05-09, 10:11
I'll try & post pictures if I can catch the light right later

Hampshire3321
13-05-09, 10:31
............... and i just go to the car wash!

Simon m
13-05-09, 10:45
That is an option obviously.

they aren't scratch free but better than some scrote in tescos carpark with a bucket full of gravel & dirty water

BANANAVAN
13-05-09, 11:12
about 7 months I: bad wagon!! dirty wagon!

golddust
13-05-09, 12:27
morrisons car wash, 2.99

Saves getting the step ladder out for the roof! :D

Meatball
13-05-09, 15:27
i take it to the polish hand car wash near me, 14 tip top inside and out

yes boss ok boss cheers boss:D

worth it every now and then

dave

Maude
13-05-09, 21:28
To all those that go through the carwashes with the big spinny things......... D o n ' t ! !.

It's the quickest way to ruin your paintwork, your paint will end up really dull due to masses of tiny scratches, working as a panel beater I've seen so many cars ruined by those damn things, and people think they are looking after their car by going through them.

........... and breathe, rant over. :D

williamsdirect
13-05-09, 21:47
To all those that go through the carwashes with the big spinny things......... D o n ' t ! !.

It's the quickest way to ruin your paintwork, your paint will end up really dull due to masses of tiny scratches, working as a panel beater I've seen so many cars ruined by those damn things, and people think they are looking after their car by going through them.

........... and breathe, rant over. :D

I agree, don't go near a car wash, hand wash only...

colese
13-05-09, 21:49
never do car washes,the polish or anyone,my van gets cleaned by me and me only...:D

Simon m
14-05-09, 09:13
An illustration of what an amateur with a few hours to spare can achieve.

http://www.twock.com/albums/album41/Photo006.sized.jpg

Clearly you can see the difference between the front wing(clayed waxed & polished) & the door (un clayed etc)

Much more reflective & nicer white!

pearly whites
14-05-09, 11:31
great finish m8 just goes to show what a few hours of loveing can sort most paint finishes im a profesional valeter my self but i can only do what anyone else can its more just tricks of the trade and hard work,clay bar is always a good option to do before a polish but be carefull their is such a thing as over polishing T:T:T:

i agree DONT use car washes uless you hate your van your better off leaving it dirty

simplepsy
14-05-09, 12:13
whats a clay bar? Ive seen them for sale but not known what they did!

Simon m
14-05-09, 12:53
Check out meguiars(other car products are available) website & there's a youtube video with an annoying yank explaining the use of the clay.

its like light grey plasticine the one I use & you spray on some lubricant(quik detailer in this case) & rub over the panel & it picks up bonded contaminants that washing will not shift.

more progress at lunchtime

http://www.twock.com/albums/album41/Photo008.sized.jpg

I didn't clay the top panel behind the window as an experiment. basically although it looks almost identical it feels rough & if you looks closely you can see some marring/cloudiness.

With a van this age that has just been washed & occasionally waxed I guess i'll resign my self to claying the whole vehicle to get a good base to work from.....ho hum

Simon m
18-05-09, 14:24
Well I've done it all except the roof.

three sessions of an hour & some swearing & throwing things when it tried to rain & its done.

Roof will be done at the weekend.

I'll post some pictures when I've finished...

mucky
18-05-09, 17:19
looking loads better

megs gold class is about the best your going to get from a local shop but a quick order on internet will get you some collinite 476 wax or some zanio z2 ,just as cheap as gold class but loads better in finish and durability

Village
18-05-09, 21:22
the paint on my '96 800 spesh is, to be honest, e. Having sad that, the 2 hours up a step ladder with a couple of buckets of water and a scrubbing brush got rid of the 10 years or dirt and detritus that that had accumulated under the (now removed) roofrack. I keep blinding myself I: when I look at the roof of the van out of my bedroom window.....

t4trick
18-05-09, 22:09
I used the clay for the first time recently, and I will simply say - DO IT. It works and if you get up close you can actually see it lifting the ingrained and embedded particles from the paint.

ED 38, where its almost a religion is a good place to look for advice, pic's, etc...

http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=175271&hl=claying