Could i fit a really big thing in my van?? [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Could i fit a really big thing in my van??

wehey
15-05-09, 12:52
Hiya all,
I have my eye on a certain windsurfing board and am wondering if anyone could tell me if it would fit in the my SWB. I dont really want a roof rack as that will limit access to car parks etc.
I have had a tape measure out and i think it will just fit if i put it from the floor at the rear doors and across the top of the front seats.

The measurements are: 320cm long x 65cm wide

Cheers

getrad
15-05-09, 13:02
Would be a bit of a squeeze, managed to get a F2 Thommen 305 in but it was a LWB. Might get it in corner to corner with the passenger seat fully forward !!!:confused:

scruffyherbert
15-05-09, 14:09
Do your front passenger seats fold flat? This could help.
Failing that open your front window a bit :D

mikey
15-05-09, 15:39
Get a LWB will fit then T:

l34sm
17-05-09, 12:25
Ok, I love my windsurfing. 490 masts and longer boards will fit in LWB. Only shorter ones in SWB. Good thing with windsurfing is the kit and boards cost less as you improve. One option is to use netting if you have a SWB - either on the sides or the roof. I know plenty of people who manage with SWB this way.
For detailed board info try the forum on boards magazine website, lots of info on suitable vans and banter between the insecure vito drivers and the confident happy t4 drivers ;)
Oh and the board you mention seems very long, is it old / or the kona? most boards are a lot wider and shorter now and are much easier to sail than the older long ones.

wehey
17-05-09, 14:52
Its the Kona 10.5 that i have my eye on ;)

Jurasik
17-05-09, 14:55
Can you not take out the passenger seat? It only bolts in!

wehey
17-05-09, 15:10
Can you not take out the passenger seat? It only bolts in!

I could but its a bit extreme taking the seat out every time i fancy a surf!

Jurasik
17-05-09, 15:38
I think it's only 4 bolts. Takes about 10 minutes!

l34sm
19-05-09, 13:48
a kona will fit along the roof in an lwb, but not sure about the lwb. I know a few SUPers.....the stand up paddling type not the drinking type, that fit 11ft in along the roof.,

I really fancy a Kona for the summer, but going to try a *bd sup, you have the best of both worlds with them, and can ride farty little waves and still have fun. You can have a mast track fitted as well/order with it fitted for some very light wind sailing. The konas dont work well for suping but the sup's work like a kona for a fun low wind sail. Have a look at them.

wehey
28-05-09, 06:59
a kona will fit along the roof in an lwb, but not sure about the lwb. I know a few SUPers.....the stand up paddling type not the drinking type, that fit 11ft in along the roof.,

I really fancy a Kona for the summer, but going to try a *bd sup, you have the best of both worlds with them, and can ride farty little waves and still have fun. You can have a mast track fitted as well/order with it fitted for some very light wind sailing. The konas dont work well for suping but the sup's work like a kona for a fun low wind sail. Have a look at them.

Yeah i had a go of one whilst i was still learning the basics and it did seem very easy to sail........SUP'ing isnt for me im afraid as i have a surf dedicated kayak for that so i am thinking of waiting for some reviews of the Kona 9.5 to emerge as i know this will fit!!

l34sm
28-05-09, 09:44
have you tried the boards forum? Just ask and you will get a good range of opinions. Good bunch in general on there like on here. A 9.5 will still need netting to run along the roof line i think. I also think that for the proper kona experience you need the full size one, like with everything the original 'kona' longboard is deisgned to be long, not cut short. There are other options out there, Starboard do a similar design.