Advice - New Key? [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Advice - New Key?

KittenKat
16-05-09, 16:39
My key for my 1998 T4 looks like it might snap soon... how do i know/check if this is a chipped key... and are replacements available?..

I only have the one key... so need to get another asap, and it is so worn, i dont think i will be able to get one cut from this?..

cheers

denise

Welshy
16-05-09, 16:46
Take it to any car key cutting place to see if chipped. If it is they'll probably tell u to go to a main dealer who'll charge upwards of 150! its a joke.

I'm Glasgow based and there's a place on who'll cut new one with chip for 75. Believe that the monopolies comission deregulated key cutting or something...so look around, check auto trader etc...:ILU:

chrisreay
16-05-09, 17:24
You can buy a blank for about 3 and get it cut for another 3 and take the chip out of the old and put it in the new key. Just make sure you buy the correct blank with the handle which opens to accommodate the chip.

isobelle
16-05-09, 17:51
I has similar problem, went to a local on the street key cutting shop, he matched my key and cut for 20, try this option and see where you get, worth a punt! :ILU:

team french
16-05-09, 18:07
can you not get an un-chipped key cut then keep the broken/old one on the same key ring? or people have taken the chip out and glued it inside the ignition coweling, not as secure as your not using the immobiliser but its one method.

kitcat
16-05-09, 18:08
This might sound silly but will it work if the old chiped key is on the same key ring? Doesn't it just have to be close to the the coil thingy that sits round the ignition barrel? Or perhpas taped to it? I like bodges....Oh I have just noticed the post above...ignore me.

T4 VIRGIN,
16-05-09, 18:15
This might sound silly but will it work if the old chiped key is on the same key ring? Doesn't it just have to be close to the the coil thingy that sits round the ignition barrel? Or perhpas taped to it? I like bodges....Oh I have just noticed the post above...ignore me.

thought you didnt know much about vehicles LOL:

paul
16-05-09, 18:29
i had the same problem i just had a standard key cut then zip tied the old one to the transponder on the ignition.....not too botherd obout the immobiliser as i have a decent alarm fitted.

KittenKat
16-05-09, 18:50
I have a feeling this isnt the original key...?.. its really bent.., and I dont think there is a chip in it, ...but it is so worn, there is no way a key cutter, will be able to cut one from it....???

I reckon one of the previous owners has had this key filed to fit the locks and ignition??..if thats possible?...I assume this as it is so badly worn?..