anyone got an EMC conversion... [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

anyone got an EMC conversion...

Swedish
19-05-09, 18:54
Can anyone help with the electrics on an EMC conversion?

I thought the leisurebatteries were flat but I just got sparks and smoke when I caught the terminals with a spanner.

The control unit doesn't appear to be working, even if the engine is running.
Neither the plug sockets, lights or fridge comes on.

I've just got the van and I've got absolutly no idea how to go about fixing it......and I discovered today that EMC is no longer trading.

Would it be worth taking it my local VW dealer?
Please help if you can?

Jurasik
19-05-09, 18:57
Best thing I can think of is to contact a local auto electrician. Ask em if they have had any experience with camper wiring. If so, get em to look at it. They should be able to tell where the problem is & fix it for you.T:

Swedish
19-05-09, 19:01
Ooooo, forgot to say - I did a 200mile trip in the van only on sunday.
Surely that would charge the leisure batteries?

I'm such a newbie! :-)

Jurasik
19-05-09, 19:05
I think somebody on here said that it would take in the region of a 700 mile trip to charge the batteries! Do you have a built in 240v battery charger in the van? If not can you get your batteries out & charge them?
What is the voltage reading of the batteries?
Try a reading with the engine running & when it's not.

BICKEY
19-05-09, 19:06
Can anyone help with the electrics on an EMC conversion?

I thought the leisurebatteries were flat but I just got sparks and smoke when I caught the terminals with a spanner.

The control unit doesn't appear to be working, even if the engine is running.
Neither the plug sockets, lights or fridge comes on.

I've just got the van and I've got absolutly no idea how to go about fixing it......and I discovered today that EMC is no longer trading.

Would it be worth taking it my local VW dealer?
Please help if you can?

Hi Swedish, as you say you have power at the batteries so they must be charging! when you plug in your 240volt & nothing works then you must have a switch/or breaker in off position if you have an earth trip breaker you may need to reset it as it seem odd that you have no mains power to anything else so look fo a fuse box or similar..

Jurasik
19-05-09, 19:08
Got any pics of the electrical box/cupboard area?

Merry Monk
21-05-09, 09:45
I have an EMC conversion, and I had the same fault, turned out to be the negative feed ;)

Merry Monk
22-05-09, 17:49
I just took it back to EMC and I said fix it LOL: Which they did, it only took about half an hour. They said it was the negative feed, it could have been the positive feed:confused:
I think the best thing would be to get an auto electrition on the job, I'm like you I know nowt LOL:LOL:
By the way when are you going to post some pics of your van.

And please empty your PM in box LOL:LOL:

Swedish
22-05-09, 18:10
Cheers Mr Monk.....good advice.

I'm planning a proper post next week once it's had a clean and polish. :)T:

Swedish
28-05-09, 16:26
Good News!
All the elecrics are now working - happy dayz! :-)
I got an auto sparky to check it over....he found a load of coroaded wires because the van was stationary for 14months.
He only charged me 95 for the work aswell.

A Big Thanks for all your advice and help with this.