Pre 96 passenger swivel fitting [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Pre 96 passenger swivel fitting

Simdog
21-05-09, 14:07
Hi All,

I just tried to fit a pre 96 passenger swivel during my lunchbreak and I am baffled by a couple of things. I need to get this done asap as I am off to France tommorrow at 2 and have a million things to still do!

I have got the thing on but cant see how to secure the swivel to the seat base as there are spigot type things coming up from the base - how do I attach it to these? Also the thing will not swivel properly as the seatbelt catches (only just) on the way around. Can I move the seatbelt receiver higher somehow?

I bought this from a chap on ebay as a pre 96 swivel so presume it is the correct one - it looks it I just cant immediately see what to do and don't have time to play around with it!

Please help!

simplepsy
21-05-09, 14:18
I cant help with the swivel fitting, but the seatbelt catching is a common one.

To solve it, you slide the seat back a bit, then turn, forward a bit, then back a bit more (but less than you did last time).

Once you get around 55.6% the way round (round up if you wish, but you may get into difficulty - the decimal is there for a reason) you have to slide the seat forward a bit more and you are pretty much done, apart from one final backwards slide.

Bingo T:

Edit - this is basically my way of saying its a bit of a faff. Please humour me :)

Simdog
21-05-09, 14:39
awesome thanks simplesy! I suppose I could get some kind of spacer or a load of washers or something for the spigot thing? Seems a bit odd that it doesn't fit direct though...

simplepsy
21-05-09, 16:29
Im not quite sure what you mean. Im going to be away from my PC soon, until tomorrow, but if you put a pic up I might be able to help :)

Simdog
21-05-09, 17:53
think I missed simplesy...please help someone! I am being driven nuts by this - thought it would be the easiest thing in the world!

I can't post any pics because photobucket will not allow me to log in for some reason.

can someone with a pre 96 passenger swivel please give me idiots instructions on how to fit? It seems that the bottom part of the seatbelt receiver needs to be cut off for it to swivel???

Also it looks like I need to put about 7 washers on each spigot to make t possible to bolt the swivel to the base...but then it sits really high and seems quite unsafe???

am I missing something really obvious here like I have it upside down or something????

Please help! I'll try to post pics

Bluebird Customs
21-05-09, 18:05
Fit the swivel on the base

Make some spacers just a touch taller than the protruding spigots and bolt down using M6 bolts and washers.( these spacers and bolts are supplied with a new swivel)

un bolt the seat belt slider off the seat base and discard find a high tensile bolt and rebolt the

seat belt reciever to the seat ( you'll see it once you start)

bolt your seat onto the swivel and check for swivelage :D you may have to grind or cut a small portion off the seat belt receiver bracket, it's OK to do this if it's done right.

Ebay eh!!!

if you are unsure what you are doing don't chance it bolt your seat back on and enjkoy your holiday without the swivel , good luck.

hoverjon
21-05-09, 19:04
i would like to add, a bit regards the seat belt receiver, its riveted (with a sodding great rivet) to the bit which attaches to the slider, i changed my pre 96 seat from nearside to offside on the van, and had to discard the bit on the slider and cut the reciever off just above where it bends and drill a hole in it, bolted it onto the seat (hole already there) with an m12 stainless bolt :)
assuming they are all the same, you may need to do the same.

i have now fitted a post 96 seat to the pre 96 base, straight on the spigots, but am thinking about chopping them off, drilling them out and welding nuts on the underside to bolt the base straight down on the base

Bluebird Customs
21-05-09, 20:48
i would like to add, a bit regards the seat belt receiver, its riveted (with a sodding great rivet) to the bit which attaches to the slider, i changed my pre 96 seat from nearside to offside on the van, and had to discard the bit on the slider and cut the reciever off just above where it bends and drill a hole in it, bolted it onto the seat (hole already there) with an m12 stainless bolt :)
assuming they are all the same, you may need to do the same.

i have now fitted a post 96 seat to the pre 96 base, straight on the spigots, but am thinking about chopping them off, drilling them out and welding nuts on the underside to bolt the base straight down on the base

With respect hoverjon

check your bolt as the majority of stainless bolts aren't high tensile and aren't suitable for that application should have 8.8 on the head T:

Simdog
21-05-09, 22:09
cheers fellas - got it done eventually. Had a few things to do this evening like cutting boards for my rnr bed, putting a hole in the van floor for the table leg fitting the swivel etc. I didn't account for it being that much of a faff! All done now but it does sit quite high as the spacers had to go underneath the swivel to prevent the swivel latch getting caught on the way round. Works a treat though and the van is already for the trip. Woohoo!:D