More mileage than origionally thought (Whats it worth?) [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

More mileage than origionally thought (Whats it worth?)

vanblack
30-05-09, 16:27
Hi All,

I posted the other day stating that I was about to pick up my first T4. The speedo said 40.000. There is no history with the van & the dealer was going to do some digging. To his credit, He rang me to tell me the van had a speedo change in 2006 when it had already covered around 50.000:eek:. I rang the ex owner to check out the story & he said he got the van just after the new speedo went in & he's the one that put the 40.000 on it as a wheelchair taxi (so the story checks out). The HPI check seemed to support the 40k miles but its last mileage update for the van was in 2006 when its mileage was in its 20s. So Im now faced with the dilemma of whether to buy the van or not. It was up for 5.5k +vat. It is a 52reg 888 special, 88 bhp, fully upholstered, captain seated window bus. He is geting the cam & pump done as a matter of course (the previous owner didn't have it done)& a full MOT.
I have a deposit on the vehicle but dont mind losing it if I had to.
My question is. What do you guys think its now worth given the new mileage? The bus is in really good nick in & out & is begging to go black on alloys..

Cheers,

vanblack

muddyhell
30-05-09, 17:11
End of the day its your money and do you like the van..you've no doublt trawled through ebay and auto trader looking at van in simular spec...

even 90k aint that much if the vans been looked after and serviced regulary which it would have done being an ex taxi..

You can try knocking him down a few hundred seeing as its now got 50000 more miles under its belt than first advertised..or see if he 'll drop the VAT!!

team french
30-05-09, 17:22
You can try knocking him down a few hundred seeing as its now got 50000 more miles under its belt than first advertised..or see if he 'll drop the VAT!!

id go for thatT: but then again, if hes getting the belts and pump changed thats a good few hundred worth of work. There was a link to a site that you could check milage from the mots done, maybe worth a search to help clarify what its acctualy doneT:

neutronium
30-05-09, 18:26
The thread is here for the mot check. Did mine on both of the links and came back good from both sources:

https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9846

vanblack
31-05-09, 19:17
Thanks guys, I didn't know about that check.
Ive given the MOT mileage check a go but require either an MOT cert number or the V5 number which I aint got yet. Ringing the dealer tomoz to ask for the details.

Ta Again