Polishing tips wanted [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Polishing tips wanted

cloudnine
02-06-09, 21:48
Anyone got any top tips for shining up the paintwork... I normally just use some car shampoo stuff and a quick wax polish if i can be d. What products are the best for removing tar and stuff?? What about small scratches and tiny chips?? What about those buffers... are they worth buying??

williamsdirect
02-06-09, 22:29
Have a look on here...it's all there..http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/
basically... wash it, clay it, polish it, wax it..T:

williamsdirect
02-06-09, 22:32
and no those buffers aren't worth buying, you need a polisher

vanbling
02-06-09, 23:21
I bought a 'Porter Cable 7424' pretty pricey but and excellent bit of kit if your to get into detailing.

The detailing world in general is not a cheap one as you need an array of good products to cover all areas. And lots and lots of time and effort.

drewster
02-06-09, 23:43
Quick n easy! Dri Wash'n Guard, no heavy polishing work and lasts well on all surfaces! say's no need to wash but on your own head be it..... T:

Desp Dan
03-06-09, 05:55
Have a look on here...it's all there..http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/
basically... wash it, clay it, polish it, wax it..T:

What he says T:

Have a read of some of the "how to" threads. Choose some quality gear & with some effort the paintwork will come up trumps T:

Simon m
03-06-09, 08:00
Check out my "washing your wagon" thread

Cleaned, dried, clayed, cleaner waxed, hand buffed then finally used a halfords buffer to apply megs gold glass paste wax. Nice finish

Desp Dan
03-06-09, 08:43
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk

Good detailing forum & supplier of Detailing products T:

Merry Monk
03-06-09, 14:27
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk

Good detailing forum & supplier of Detailing products T:
Trust you to post in this thread LOL:LOL:LOL:

cloudnine
03-06-09, 14:46
Thanks for all the tips. Never clayed a car before so i'll see what happens with that. Mags products seem to be well rated so gonna order a few polishing bits, throw away my sponge and have a go.
I have a black van so keeping it clean is a sod anyway. Is it worth getting a polishing machine??

Simon m
03-06-09, 15:06
Borrow one if you can

Takes the arm ache outta a vehicle the size of t4/5's

I'd only give it the full treatment once a year so borrowing a buffer would be cheaper, but my nan gave me some cash for helping her out so I figured why not!

alltorque
03-06-09, 17:39
Loads of tips on detailing worldT:
wash first maybe twice!(no sponges,buy a few lambs wool mits)
Rinse well
Clay using Meguirs
Wash again
Polish-dont do circles/up and down the panels.
Wax up and down the panels.
Use Meguirs polish and wax to get the hand of it.

Once you start this detailing lark you'll be skint and OCD will take over:D

Mozzer
03-06-09, 17:45
As mr meeahgi said "danial son"

wax on" ............. "wax off" lol:lol:lol:lol:

hendrix
03-06-09, 17:58
I'll be posting my "How To" in the van polishing and detailing section of the forum as soon as the mods open one I: :D

Wavestarved
03-06-09, 19:54
Any tips for polishing a van with different shades of red on every panel? Oh, and rust. Or euphamistically talking polishing a turd. H:

ChemGuyUK
29-06-09, 12:12
Anyone got any top tips for shining up the paintwork... I normally just use some car shampoo stuff and a quick wax polish if i can be d. What products are the best for removing tar and stuff?? What about small scratches and tiny chips?? What about those buffers... are they worth buying??

tip on shining the paint work would be a use a TFR to remove any old wax first followed but a good wash, inc alloys, arches, inside of doors etc etc, followed by a Clay to remove any bonded contaminates from the paint work,followed buy glaze and wax, you have not said the colour of your T, this would help to choose the best wax and glaze...

and dont get a buffer use a Kestrel or Megs G220, they are more granted but it will bring your paint work back to life....
:ILU:

cloudnine
29-06-09, 19:22
Thanks for the help :cool:

Spent some time over at detailing world forum... It took me about 2 days to understand what everyone was talking about. Bought a few products.. Poor boys black hole, DAS Polisher and Menzerna polishes and pads, buckets, wash mits, foam lance, foam, car shampoo, microfibre buffing cloths, megs clay kit and drying towel, some amazing stuff called FK1000P (wax sealant). I can reccommend anyone heading over there and picking up some washing/detaing knowledge. Also theres some Super friendly guys there who offer out some good advice.

Theres a bewildering array of products about and im still pretty confused on some of them.. especially which final stage wax to get

The only bad thing from going there is making me realise how ****ty my paintwork (various scratches small rust patches and stone chipped bonnet) is and how much effort it will take to get it looking good..

clintharshaw
29-06-09, 19:42
if i was going to cut the paint on van with g3 and use meguirs clay

what would be the best way to do it

clay then g3

or g3 then clay

then wax

kiteBored
29-06-09, 22:50
Just did my mums Mg today for her.

Wash
Dry
Auto Glym Resin polish
Auto Glym Hi def wax (amazing product available on ebay for 25 delivered saving 15 on rrp) I used to use the super gloss top coat but the wax beats it hands down.

Need some clay but to be honest plenty of elbow grease and some resin polish takes off most of it.

Also Halfords have a buy 2 get 1 free. The have a nice 5 pack turtle wax applicator pack inc microfiber products. Using micro fiber cloths to remove polish makes it so much easier than traditional lint free cloth.

ChemGuyUK
30-06-09, 06:05
if i was going to cut the paint on van with g3 and use meguirs clay

what would be the best way to do it

clay then g3

or g3 then clay

then wax

Clay they G3...

ChemGuyUK
30-06-09, 06:08
Just did my mums Mg today for her.

Wash
Dry
Auto Glym Resin polish
Auto Glym Hi def wax (amazing product available on ebay for 25 delivered saving 15 on rrp) I used to use the super gloss top coat but the wax beats it hands down.

Need some clay but to be honest plenty of elbow grease and some resin polish takes off most of it.

Also Halfords have a buy 2 get 1 free. The have a nice 5 pack turtle wax applicator pack inc microfiber products. Using micro fiber cloths to remove polish makes it so much easier than traditional lint free cloth.

SRP will not remove bonded contaminates from the paint work, it will just cover them making the paint work feel smooth...you will need to Clay...T:

Happy Days
30-06-09, 09:19
been cleaning my cars for the last 15 years...AUTOGLYM. Tried the rest but found this to be the best..Paint restorer..Deep resin polish.....Bumper care and fast glass...

Going to look into the clay though as im liking the sound of this..Plus this is the first one Ive owned that hasnt been cleaned since leaving the factoryLOL:

PS...Do some digging around on polish wax etc....Mergs,Glym, etc etc are known under different names to the trade...no posh bottle,labels etc...just same product...but cheaperT:

ChemGuyUK
30-06-09, 09:42
been cleaning my cars for the last 15 years...AUTOGLYM. Tried the rest but found this to be the best..Paint restorer..Deep resin polish.....Bumper care and fast glass...

Going to look into the clay though as im liking the sound of this..Plus this is the first one Ive owned that hasnt been cleaned since leaving the factoryLOL:

PS...Do some digging around on polish wax etc....Mergs,Glym, etc etc are known under different names to the trade...no posh bottle,labels etc...just same product...but cheaperT:

Autolym is a very good brand and easy to find anywhere. but it does have alot of fillers and cutting properties, if you want a true refection and wax you need to look else where AG will not give you that....

i think i might write a thread on "what is Clay and what it does, and how to use it".... i may be some time.....

simplepsy
30-06-09, 09:43

Linky links? Please?

I:
LOL:

cloudnine
30-06-09, 10:09
Head over to DW..

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=103767

ChemGuyUK
30-06-09, 12:37
Linky links? Please?

I:
LOL:

http://www.chemicalguysuk.com/?Click=2781

ChemGuyUK
30-06-09, 12:38
Head over to DW..

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=103767

and thats claying info.... link?

jane/rob&dennis
01-07-09, 09:33
and thats claying info.... link?

this link?Knowledge is power! (https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42586)

and sticking my neck out forum discount?

Just getting into having a clean van and the stuff Riemoboy left me with is running out!

Rob

ChemGuyUK
01-07-09, 10:56
this link?Knowledge is power! (https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42586)

and sticking my neck out forum discount?

Just getting into having a clean van and the stuff Riemoboy left me with is running out!

Rob

i made that tread yesterday after reading this thread...I:

im now working on snow foaming..... H: