I've only gone and done it! [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

I've only gone and done it!

bigandy
05-06-09, 14:32
Afternoon all.

After some careful research, and dredging Ebay and Autotrader and various other ads, I've put a deposit down on a 2003 T4 :) It has the 102bhp 2.5tdi engine, and drove really nicely. It needs a good clean, and a few scratches touching up, but apart from that, it seems to be in really good condition.

Does anyone have any tips or advice regarding things to lookout for before I pay for it in full?

I'm planning to use it as my daily drive, and also do a camper conversion over the next year or so.

Cheers
Andy

T4 Chris
05-06-09, 14:55
Welcome to the club Andy!!

One thing you need to know is when the cambelt AND waterpump were last changed, it is crucial that these are done to schedule (80k I think) or before as a failure will total the engine!! I wish I'd checked mine more thoroughly before I bought it, cus I'd have used that as a haggling tool. To get this done is 400+ so its certainly one to consider.:eek:

Get some pics posted when you pick it up, oh and become a payed up member its well worth it!!

Cheers

amplifieddesign
05-06-09, 15:00
service history! if t4's are serviced they will run forever!

Stan
05-06-09, 15:26
Welcome to the club Andy!!

One thing you need to know is when the cambelt AND waterpump were last changed, it is crucial that these are done to schedule (80k I think) or before as a failure will total the engine!! I wish I'd checked mine more thoroughly before I bought it, cus I'd have used that as a haggling tool. To get this done is 400+ so its certainly one to consider.:eek:

Get some pics posted when you pick it up, oh and become a payed up member its well worth it!!

Cheers

What he said.....:)

bigandy
05-06-09, 15:33
It's got the printout of the service history from the Fleet service agents, although I don't recall seeing any stamps in the VW service booklet thingy. It does say there was an S6 service done at approx 62k, and I'm led to beleive that covers the cambelt and waterpump?

I'm going to join this forum as a full member when I pick the van up, hopefully early next week :)

Cheers
Andy

griff55
05-06-09, 16:39
aa van is it? Mine had the s? done at 62,000 as well and was told this is a cambelt change.
Welcome to the forum, you won't regret paying ya tenner:ILU:

T4Canuck
05-06-09, 16:50
Welcome to the clubT:. Post up some pics when you get a chance.H:

bigandy
11-06-09, 21:59
I've just got back from picking my Van up! I'm well chuffed with it. It drives like a big car, just a bit noiser at speed due to a big empty load bay at the back, and with a bit more body roll (needs lowering!!!).

The engine seems to run really nicely. It starts nice and quickly, and idles nice and smoothly. There seems to be plenty of power available. I have a standard test of driving up Rhuallt hill near where I live in North Wales (on the A55) Anything that can hold 70mph all the way up there, has got enough power in my book :) I did notice a bit of a rattle when the engine was idling, but it sounds like a loose heatshield or something. I'll have to have a mooc around under the bonnet tomorrow methinks...

I'll try and get some pictures up too!

Andy

colese
12-06-09, 07:34
if its a 2.5td1 mate the badges with the engine size on,on top of intercooler tend to vibrate a bit,try removing and listening.:ILU:

bigandy
12-06-09, 07:49
I'll have a good nosey round today, cheers for the pointers! It does sound like a vibration issue, mainly because it disappears above a certain engine speed (about 1500 rpm, ish)...

Cheers
Andy

xAnimalx
12-06-09, 07:51
haha thats why mine aint on no moreT:

Welcome to the forums :ILU:

Jurasik
12-06-09, 20:38
Welcome to the forum. :ILU:
& team yellow!! :D
Really like to see some pics.T: