HELP!Need advice about changing to campervan (pickup + insure tomorrow!!) [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

HELP!Need advice about changing to campervan (pickup + insure tomorrow!!)

llol_slim
05-06-09, 20:36
I've been looking at quotes for the van im picking up tomorrow and Adrian Flux CS told me that if I insure it as a campervan it will half my insurance (800 40 400)
He said the following criteria must be met:

r+r bed or alternative sleeping arrangement (he said airbed would count)
table which you can sit at
storage cupboard
portable sink (brackets for a wash basin would suffice)
and/or oven (portable gas camping stove will suffice)

Now he says the requirements are vague and nothing needs to be fixed down in order for it to be a "campervan" so my questions are:

1. Is he correct?
We are thinking buy
an airbed and sleeping bags
picnic table
cupboard
gas stove

as we wanted them all anyway

2. Do I need to tell the DVLA and wait for the paperwork before I can insure it? If this is the case, would i need to insure it as a van then once the paperwork is back cancel that insurance and insure it as a campervan?

Quick answers if possible so i know what to do tomorrow!!!

Many thanks!

cloudnine
05-06-09, 20:50
You don't have to insure a van for a whole year. Just get a couple of months van insurance and sort that s h it out later

llol_slim
05-06-09, 20:52
You don't have to insure a van for a whole year. Just get a couple of months van insurance and sort that s h it out later

:bhd obvious. Hadnt occured to me!!!

Many apologies for bogging the forum down with a stupid question

t4tramp
05-06-09, 20:55
Hi hopefully i can help (Hopefully)

i am insured with adrain flux and i insured the van with them as a conversion in progress. I have 6 months in which to complete the conversion and inform DVLA. I would give them a call back and explain that you have been told this.

I found they where the one people who were able to help in this situation. We have a fleet of 6 vans and our company insurance recommended them as to insure as a commercial van is far more (i found)

I will dig out the policy docs i got on email and forward them to you if you can give me an email address

DavidT:

llol_slim
05-06-09, 21:00
that sounds good thanks. I'll pm yo0u my email address.
That's why I love this forum :D

t4tramp
05-06-09, 21:11
Done..........................LOL: