Transporting Kayaks? [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Transporting Kayaks?

bigandy
10-06-09, 08:02
Morning all.

I'm just giving a bit of thought to my Camper conversion that I am planning. SWMBO and myself both have Kayaks. Well, the sit-on-top types to be more precise. The modern day equivalent of a hollowed out Log!.

One requirement of our camper, is that we can transport these easily. Storing them on the roof seems like the obvious solution, so that is going to involve soem kind of roof rack, roof bars or similar? I want it to be pretty easy to use, and not need a ladder if possible!

Has anyone got any ideas, or done something like this? I'm interested to see what is out there in T4 land, before re-inventing the wheel :)

Cheers
andy

stigletti
10-06-09, 16:05
I put a rack inside my van so by boards and kayak wouldn't get stolen. It runs along the length of the roof just the same as if they were stored on the outside. It hardly takes up much space at all. I'd show you but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to put the website up here?

ahay!
10-06-09, 16:08
..................I'd show you but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to put the website up here?

Post away stigletti Y: There may be plenty of others who are interested

stigletti
10-06-09, 16:42
Perhaps you'd better have a look at the 'conversion on TV' post.
I don't think I'm allowed to put website here cos it's a big conversion project with a DVD available.

T4mouse
10-06-09, 21:17
Hi Andy,
I am also a SOT kayaker and have recently bought my T4 specifically to carry my kayaks and have a decent vehicle to change into my wet or dry suit etc.I,ve got a stainless rack on mine which was already fitted luckily.I have a couple of ideas regarding getting the kayak on top which is a large and heavy malibu X factor.I live very close to you so perhaps it might be an idea to meet up.
Regards,
Tom

the Green Geko
10-06-09, 21:22
I put a rack inside my van so by boards and kayak wouldn't get stolen. It runs along the length of the roof just the same as if they were stored on the outside. It hardly takes up much space at all. I'd show you but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to put the website up here?

I don't think sit on tops would fit inside a van??

answer: sell them and get play boats :ILU:A:LOL:

sorry i know not constructive I:

l34sm
10-06-09, 21:22
I have 3 bars on roof - see pic in through my profile.
Just lift them on myself from the side - im 6 ft so can reach easily (knuckles drag on the ground mind ;) )
Have you tried stand up paddling, much more fun, and the boards fit in the van :D but not in the house, so are a permanent fixture

ROCKCLA
11-06-09, 08:19
Hi Andy

Are you thinking of popping the top when doing your conversion? We had ours popped and it has a built in roof rack system which fits our sit-on-tops. The beauty of it is you still fit under the barriers with the roof bars on (please don't let me ever forget to take the kayak off first) plus the kayak can stay on top even when its popped! The guy who does the tops also custom makes racks to your requirement but only if your having a pop-top conversion as the bars are built into the frame of it, hence how robust they are. If you're interested send me a PM and I'll give you the details. Happy paddling. :D

Claire

just dan
11-06-09, 09:05
my interior design makes it easier i have a solid parcel shelf that makes the end of the bed and it basically acts as a step to help me get my kayak on the roof i just use a soft rack on my roof bars, which i mounted right near the back. i do sometime just climb on the roof as long as you stay near the edge and take your shoes off its ok studded denim not great either. you may want something more fancy but a parcel shelf, roof bars and a soft rack are all i need to get my nine foot kayak strapped to the roof and ready to go

aggie
11-06-09, 20:22
Made my own from steel 1" box section and secured them through the original bolt holes in my reimo poptop,overengineered if anything but you can strap anything down onto them! Kayaks,canoes,windsurf,surfboards,fence panels,doors,gates etc etc

vanheaven
12-06-09, 22:28
Im guesing the roofs ROCKCLA are talking about are VANMOUSE's and as im a camper conversion company myself i can safely say there roofs and infact there conversion are top notch. I spoke to them at the BIG BANG, and as you can imagine i had a long chat and poke around with there roofs they look very strong and well designed. A perfect choice if you are thinking of carrying heavy items on your pop top. Another idea if you wasnt thinking along the lines of a pop top and was going down the line of a fully pledged camper is fitting brackets similer to that of Vanmoose's to you work top. Obviously that depends on the width of your log and you wouldnt be able to have a wadrobe. You could strap it down on the move and at night. :ILU: