F.A.O Jimbo & Mods Newbie Section [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

F.A.O Jimbo & Mods Newbie Section

Mozzer
20-06-09, 10:36
Morning all

Just wondered what thoughts were on developing a newbie section with a F.A.Q section.....
The popularity of T4s and the Forum seem to be growing daily......
The forum seems diluted with the same questions and posts..............
Maybe a reminder about searching before asking........
We were all new once and reviewing my first posts i was ask ask and not search search search! (Of course some questions have never been asked)
Just a thought!
T:

Have added a poll to see what the general consensus is, obviousley I have no idea what is involved in setting up a new section so forgive me if its harder than i think.........I:

waxer
20-06-09, 11:03
Morris thats a great idea, could save the endless "what wheels fit" and "spray glue" posts which appear every day and sometimes result in a less than welcoming "use the search function!!" answer. T:

Mozzer
20-06-09, 12:00
Just a thought to contain the common info make it easier for newbies and free up some space in the rest of the forum there are some stunning vans on here and some very innovative mods...I love reading the how to threads and gain some great ideas but its becoming a bit mind numbing the daily posting of what wheels will fit and which RnR bed is best etc etc etc...........

(Again not having any idea what is involved in running the forum this is just a suggestion)

nealglover
20-06-09, 12:20
Ing a new section is not really the difficult/ time consuming bit, collating the information to put in it would be. People would need to volunteer to put the various bits together.

Mozzer
20-06-09, 12:32
well I'll be the first volunteerI:

waxer
20-06-09, 12:49
Yeah, Im happy to have a go too. Lets bring the love back to the forum! :D

Mozzer
20-06-09, 16:30
70 people viewed this thread yet only 9 voted......:confused:

Soulstyledevon
20-06-09, 16:47
61 unregistered membersI:

T4 VIRGIN,
20-06-09, 16:54
can people who have registered and not subscribed use the search facility,i thought they couldnt ?? maybe wrong :confused:
as i thought thats why newbies asked repetative questions,i am quite happy to answer peoples question on whats this for and what wheel fits,the only ones i dissagree with are whats my van worth??as we all know what we paid for our vans-what we have spent-and how much we would accept for them,

i think a f/a/q section would help as long as it was accessable to both paid and unpaid members as it seems that when someone new posts a question the first response is not very welcoming as it says pay your 10 and search away,
i thought we had a lot more unpaid members than paid members ??? but as a whole yes i think its a good idea T:

tomcat-50
20-06-09, 17:15
Mebbie move the AA info thread there?

clintharshaw
20-06-09, 17:25
i think it could be good

one thing that is very unfriendly or welcoming about this forum with the silly questions asked,

is that a lot of new people are always told "pay your tenner" and its not very helpful friendly or welcoming.

a section to help them would probably be a lot more inviting to make them join than being told to pay your tenner instead of getting their answer.

when i bought my t4 i was searching on google for lowering and found a link to a thread on here which guided me on how to do it.

that was free and gave me enough to be thankful and and payed my tenner afterwards.

dont think i would of been so keen to subscribe and pay if info was held back and told to pay my money.

i prob would of looked elsewhere.

this sounds pretty good and like stated could help stop the same "do these fit" questions

just a thought:ILU:

Soulstyledevon
20-06-09, 18:09
Sorry to hijack the thread, but i have seen some RS6 replicas on dreambay and wondered if they will fit my van. They are 17" ET 44.
Just concered if they would fit because, im about to go the shed grab me dads hacksaw and saw me springs in half to lower the van?

Soulstyledevon
20-06-09, 18:11
ERRrr, seriously, its yes a good idea. T:A:

smellysock
20-06-09, 18:14
I think it is a good idea!T:

What about a buying guide too, there is enough experience on here to tell everyone what to look for when buying. :ILU:

Mozzer
20-06-09, 21:57
can people who have registered and not subscribed use the search facility,i thought they couldnt ?? maybe wrong :confused:
as i thought thats why newbies asked repetative questions,i am quite happy to answer peoples question on whats this for and what wheel fits,the only ones i dissagree with are whats my van worth??as we all know what we paid for our vans-what we have spent-and how much we would accept for them,

i think a f/a/q section would help as long as it was accessable to both paid and unpaid members as it seems that when someone new posts a question the first response is not very welcoming as it says pay your 10 and search away,
i thought we had a lot more unpaid members than paid members ??? but as a whole yes i think its a good idea T:

Good point.....:ILU:

I guess if they could access the newbie section FAQ etc that would give them the incentive to pay their 10

T4 VIRGIN,
20-06-09, 22:30
this thread by a new member says it all,hes now paid his subs as a lot of the forum is unveiwable

https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=41726

Basher
20-06-09, 22:41
Im new to the posting replies part of the forum, but have been looking at the site since the day I bought my van. I do feel that aswell as it being a great idea, some of the more basic questions asked can be a case of people not actualy looking at the job they want to atempt, maybe an idiots guide would help.
As for the common question of wheel fitment, would it be possible to have a dedicated section/list link of tryed and tested solutions. Plus if they realy want to know, lists are usualy available to buy on e-bay for a couple of quid.

Keep up the good work

Mozzer
21-06-09, 09:14
100% good idea....................so far just waiting for the opinions of Jimbo and the mods:confused:

Ah well Im off to polish me van...........................Rasp:

cloudnine
21-06-09, 09:55
Sorry to hijack the thread, but i have seen some RS6 replicas on dreambay and wondered if they will fit my van. They are 17" ET 44.
Just concered if they would fit because, im about to go the shed grab me dads hacksaw and saw me springs in half to lower the van?

Sounds good.. don't forget to use a few self tappers to hold your R&R bed to the floor and modify those lap belts you salvaged from the old transit van for the childs seats