Need advice - various problems [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Need advice - various problems

GrandmaLiz
27-06-09, 10:11
Hi all,
I’ll try to be as brief as possible:
I bought my MH (1995 2.4 diesel automatic VW T4 Holdsworth Valentine) in March this year from a dealer (not local to me – approx 150 miles away) and I have had a few problems with it since purchase. It was supposed to have had a full habitation check and service prior to purchase – which included a 12 month insurance backed ‘warranty’. I had about £2,500 worth of extras fitted prior to buying it (solar panel, alarm and immobiliser, reversing camera). I paid for everything on my credit card. Problems as follows:
• Water ingress into main habitation area – turned out to be blocked waste outlet and consequent build up of water. Had full habitation check by a local dealer, problem identified and fixed, reimbursed by vendor.
• Significant loss of engine power uphill – had vehicle serviced by local dealer who said filters etc. needed changing which suggested that the vendor hadn’t serviced it prior to me buying it. Problem improved although to some extent the lack of power is apparently due to the van not being a turbo diesel.
• Main battery not charging – called out RAC and needed a new battery.
• Wind out awning fitted incorrectly i.e. tension brackets in wrong place (at extreme right and left of ‘rail’) which means that the extending ‘support arms’ don’t do their job properly and I can’t attach the supports for the zip-on safari room. Last week was the first time I wanted to use the safari room so I have only just discovered this problem. I haven’t had it looked at yet but I assume the ‘tension brackets’ will have to be moved which will leave holes in the body with potential water ingress problems.
• Finally, I don’t think my ‘warranty’ is valid. Reading the small print, the dealer should have guaranteed the vehicle was sound prior to sale and should have stamped the service log. I looked at the log but there is no stamp by the dealer.
I am very worried that if anything else should go wrong the warranty won’t be worth the paper it’s written on and I still have to resolve the problem with the awning.
I would really appreciate any advice that anyone can offer. Are the above problems serious enough to justify me going back to the dealer and asking for a full refund and then going elsewhere for a MH? Thanks for reading this and for any help you can give.
Thanks,
GrandmaLiz

cosmicrider
27-06-09, 13:24
How much did you pay for the van ?If it were me i would contact the seller and ask him to rectify the problems or better still get a full refund ,Good luck.

ieuan
27-06-09, 13:57
sounds like a right hassle mate!!gutted for you,you could try the dealer for a refund or to rectify,apparently they can be quite stuborn but a lad in work had hassle with his dub and he's getting it sorted but only after threatening trading standards action!Good luck!!

Jim Doodle
27-06-09, 14:28
Hi Liz, The 2.4 can be a little underpowered compared to the turbo versions, especially if it is loaded up with a full camper conversion. As for the other problems in all honestly think they relatively minor, i would check and get what you can sorted under the warranty, but remember any 14 year old vehicle would have similar problems under intense scrutiny.

How much did you pay for it & How many miles of the clock?

Mr Mega
27-06-09, 15:18
Ouch, Sounds like they saw you coming sad to say, from experience most "after market" warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on, added to £2.5k on extra's, sounds like van shouldn't have been much more than that.

GrandmaLiz
27-06-09, 15:26
Hi Liz, The 2.4 can be a little underpowered compared to the turbo versions, especially if it is loaded up with a full camper conversion. As for the other problems in all honestly think they relatively minor, i would check and get what you can sorted under the warranty, but remember any 14 year old vehicle would have similar problems under intense scrutiny.

How much did you pay for it & How many miles of the clock?

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the reply - I paid £12,800 for the van and about £2,500 for the extras (reversing camera, solar panel and alarm/immobiliser). It had about 23k miles on the clock (verified by FSH and MOTs) so it had done very little milage when I bought it.

I understand your point about age of the vehicle etc. and am fairly satisfied that the lack of power is more to do with its age and lack of turbo. That being the case, I can live with adjusting my driving and expectations. I also accept that there is little I can do retrospectively about the battery or service I had to pay for. The battery could be considered 'wear and tear' but the service was supposed to have been done by the dealer. More importantly, this omission and the fact that consequently the service book was not stamped is more of a concern as it invalidates the 'warranty'.

Since posting on here, I have had some advice which seems to confirm that the awning has been correctly installed (by the dealer as part of the purchase 'package'). I will put it up asap to make sure but at least that problem seems to be resolved.

Regards,
(Grandma)Liz

jimbo1
27-06-09, 20:00
......there's always the A-Team, if you can find them.......T:

Jim Doodle
28-06-09, 01:32
I woudl go back and get it stamped, for the kind of money you are paying from a dealer you are essentially payng for the warranty and some peace of mind.

do you know who did the conversion?

nbsurf
28-06-09, 05:00
Liz
When you say dealer I assume you mean a motorcaravan dealer as opposed to a VW main dealer? My experience of most warranties is that they really aren't worth the effort. But...
You have paid a great deal of money for your van (that's not to say it's not worth that much, just that you rightly should expect it to be perfect for that sort of cash) and I would get a full list of your concern and send it with a formal letter of complaint, mentioning trading standards, with a clear request for reimbursement.
Did you have an AA or RAC check done prior to purchase? This should have identified some of the problems you mention.
At the end of the day hopefully you now have a good van which will give you many years of fun. You are certainly in the right place to start with! T:

RubberBiker
28-06-09, 09:38
Sounds very much like the "service" and "warranty" I got on my Caravelle. All they had done was changed the oil - and not rectified the fairly obvious faults. The upside was they had significantly underpriced a very sound and good condition van. Fortunately I knew they were going to be a rubbish dealer, and had no expectations.

I paid the local VW dealership to catch up the defects and servicing properly (including cambelt, immaculate work) and to do the urgently-required new discs and pads all round. Cost a good old hunk of cash, but the outcome is a nice van that has behaved perfectly for the last 40000 miles.

I'm sorry you paid a hefty bill for a van that has turned out to be hassles - but it may be easier to bite the bullet, and have someone good and local fix up all the remaining issues, rather than the protracted misery of chasing an outfit that doesn't want to honour its promises.