noob help please [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

noob help please

sx-si
27-06-09, 20:50
im after a t4 easy you say

i need one in good condition
with 90+ bhp for towing a trailor and my track cars but unsure what i can legally tow

also automatic as i do alot of miles a week and live near m25
with aircon and under 80k on the clock

i dont know the common problems with them :(
what sort of price range are they?
id rather covert it with a r&r myself as it saves on the pennys

anybody answer my questions?

cheers if you do, ive tryed the search button but theres alot of info to go through

T4 VIRGIN,
27-06-09, 21:24
im after a t4 easy you say

i need one in good condition
with 90+ bhp for towing a trailor and my track cars but unsure what i can legally tow

also automatic as i do alot of miles a week and live near m25
with aircon and under 80k on the clock

i dont know the common problems with them :(
what sort of price range are they?
id rather covert it with a r&r myself as it saves on the pennys

anybody answer my questions?

cheers if you do, ive tryed the search button but theres alot of info to go through

there are 2 types of hp,either the blue i on the badge which is an 88hp or the silver i which is a 102hp,if you get a 88 you can up it to 102 by fitting the intercooler-or just buy a 102 to start with
you can also get the vehicle re-mapped increasing it again or fit project power nozzles on the injectors/de cat/egr blank off/re map then you would be looking at 150bhp

try doing a project power search and you will find results
morriss on here is hoping to be running 200+hp soon,the options are as big as youre wallet

as for an auto ive only ever heard bad things about them,there have been a lot of posts about auto boxes packing in,to be honest manuals are soft aswell
i tow a trailer with my 88 and dont have any trouble-will at tidyts (member on here)regularly tows a trailer with a t4 on it and hasnt reported a problem-although he has fitted his own brand intercooler

as for price??well that depends where you buy it-if you buy it from a joiner/plumber near to yourself then he may not know the price of it as its just a van to him,where as ebay etc command better prices

happy searching

Jim Doodle
27-06-09, 22:09
What he said, but to reiterate do not buy an auto for towing, recipe for disaster.

Josho
27-06-09, 22:55
Auto's for towing aren't brilliant.

You could look at the 2.8 VR6 T4's if you really want an auto.

Jim Doodle
27-06-09, 22:58
if you are serious about the auto, then you might be interested in the external cooler i'm working on at the mo. It's not a new idea, but reroutes the cooling of the standard one to a more suitable option.