Advise on Exhaust please [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Advise on Exhaust please

Prestige Auto Tints
01-07-09, 16:16
Me exhaust needs doing and was wanting some basic advice please, just below the drivers door step there is a box, possibly the cat (sorry not too good on the mechanical stuff) just after that on the bend were it goes towards the rear of the van i have a hole.

Can it be renewed from here back towards the rear silencer or is it the lot.

Just want to be prepared, any comments advice appreciated.

Thanks

Bob
www.prestigewindowtints.com

T4 VIRGIN,
01-07-09, 16:41
Me exhaust needs doing and was wanting some basic advice please, just below the drivers door step there is a box, possibly the cat (sorry not too good on the mechanical stuff) just after that on the bend were it goes towards the rear of the van i have a hole.

Can it be renewed from here back towards the rear silencer or is it the lot.

Just want to be prepared, any comments advice appreciated.

Thanks

Bob
www.prestigewindowtints.com

the 1st box as you say is the cat,it splits just after the bend/before the next box so middle and rear boxes/parts are replacable T:

isobelle
01-07-09, 16:51
Yes, comes in 4 parts:

- back box
- middle silencer
- CAT
- down pipe

each part can be replaced, quite easy to do, get what you need, eg middle silencer from a good dealer JK with all hangers and fixing brackets.

did mine a couple of months back, takes a little effort, but saved a few bob:ILU:

Prestige Auto Tints
01-07-09, 18:33
Yes, comes in 4 parts:

- back box
- middle silencer
- CAT
- down pipe

each part can be replaced, quite easy to do, get what you need, eg middle silencer from a good dealer JK with all hangers and fixing brackets.

did mine a couple of months back, takes a little effort, but saved a few bob:ILU:

When you say middle silencer, mines is roughly about the rear wheels and the straight pipe goes from there up to the ben before the cat, where me hole is, if you pardon the phrase:eek:

Jurasik
01-07-09, 18:43
Is it a diesel?
If so, decat it & put on a stainless system!
I did with mine & it passed a MOT.
Got a 2 1/2" powerflow system with a single silencer & a twin side exit for 220!
They fitted it in about 1 1/2 hours as well.
Sounds luvly!!

Wavestarved
01-07-09, 21:00
Jurasik
is that my van you's a drivin??
I have a de-catted single silencer twin side exit powerflow system, and yes dude...it does sound leeuuuuuurvely.
Did you get tha lad at Stafford to do yours?

Jurasik
01-07-09, 22:17
I got mine at kingswinford tyres!
here's a few pics:
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh154/Stinker/DSC_0465.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh154/Stinker/DSC_0460.jpg

Wavestarved
02-07-09, 08:24
Niiiiice! :cool:
You got that turbo problem from a while back sorted I presume.

Jurasik
02-07-09, 09:14
Yeah. It wasn't the turbo (even though it was changed!!!) it was a loose inlet manifold! Two of the bolts were completely out & resting on top of it!
The `garage' didn't spot this probem after 2 days of searching.
TDIDave on here (lives not far from me - fine geezer!) took one look at it & in about 1 minute, saw the problem & pointed it out to me.
I took it back to the `garage' & pointed it out to them. They stripped off the turbo & re-tightened the manifold. All ok now. I won't be taking it back to them!

Jim Doodle
02-07-09, 09:29
I burnt my leg this week on my tail pipes, left a nasty oval shaped blister. wtach out!

Wavestarved
02-07-09, 13:06
That was daft Jim!!
Jurasik
glad that was sorted. I remember reading your tubo thread and getting all paranoid about every bit of noise from under the bonnet. Did you get some cash back from the useless tw*ts at the garage?

Jurasik
02-07-09, 17:33
That's nasty, Jim! My exhaust is warm, but not hot????
Unfortunately not. This is after they fitted a new turbo at massive (for me) expense! They did tighten the manifold at vastly reduced rates tho'. (I was thinking at the time of asking for them to do it for free, but as it was a different part they were messing with, I didn't think I'd get away with that. I just asked for consideration on the bill).
The cheeky gits had the audacity to post me a service reminder a few months ago.
As if I'd go back there. :eek: TDIDave has used them as well & found their `service' wanting as well. I think they are technicians, not mechanics. If they cannot solve a problem, they just swap out a part & see if it cures it.

Wavestarved
03-07-09, 09:06
Had a similar experience with a local garage who replaced one of the aux belt tensioners on my wife's citroen c5, charged me 350 quid while they were telling me the noise that I'd brought it in for them to sort out was still happening. W:*s.
I'd even said to them before I left it with them that I was pretty sure that it was the power steering pump that was knacked.
Took it to Citroen a week later and they replaced the pump, problem solved. Oh and charged me 150 quid less than the useless tw&ts up the road did to not fix it...

Prestige Auto Tints
03-07-09, 17:15
I thought the stainless systems where more expensive, 220 seems ok. Is it more expensive to have a centre rear exit tailpipe?

Bob

Jurasik
03-07-09, 18:14
That was for a shorty side exit jobbie! (just 1 silencer, pipe to just in front of rear wheel & twin tail pipe) I think if you want a full system, you are looking at least 300 quid. Still, if you ask around, you may get it at a good price!