Clutch master cylinder weeping... [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Clutch master cylinder weeping...

bigandy
14-07-09, 13:08
Afternoon all.

I've just spotted a couple of small spots of something wet looking in the foot well of my T4 (102 Tdi). It looks like it is come from the clutch master cylinder, but I can't tell what the stuff is. It looks a bit oily, so I am assuming the worst, and that the cylinder is weeping fluid past the seals.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem? How about if the master cylinders can be rebuilt? Or is fitting a new on the only option?

If it is a case of getting a new one fitted, is it a difficult job to DIY?

Cheers
Andy

wind welder
14-07-09, 18:43
Hi,

I'm afraid it is almost certainly a symtom of a Pedalbox failure.

Stick your head back in the footwell, and press the clutch pedal, watch the master cylinder if it moves as the pedal is pushed then your pedal box is Shafted!

A new master cylinder is approx 65 from VW.
Pedal box from VW approx 115

I can do an exchange pedal box for 40 + postage (EXCHANGE) I may have a S/H cylinder too.

Cheers Trev.

bigandy
14-07-09, 19:01
Eeek, pedal box failure sounds a bit dodgy! Does it affect the brakes in any way?

If the box has failed, then can you elaborate more on what is actually wrong with it? I'm assuming it will have cracked, or bent somewhere? Also, should that really happen on a 2003 T4 that has only recently gone past 70000miles?

I'll stick my head down there in the morning before I go to work methinks...

Cheers
Andy

T4 VIRGIN,
14-07-09, 19:05
have a read here - windwelders your man

https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5281&highlight=pedal+box

wind welder
14-07-09, 19:30
Eeek, pedal box failure sounds a bit dodgy! Does it affect the brakes in any way?

If the box has failed, then can you elaborate more on what is actually wrong with it? I'm assuming it will have cracked, or bent somewhere? Also, should that really happen on a 2003 T4 that has only recently gone past 70000miles?

I'll stick my head down there in the morning before I go to work methinks...

Cheers
Andy

Hi Andy,

No The pedal box failure should not fit your brakes, UNLESS the pedal box has been repaired incorrectly in the past.

The failure stats with a crack forming on a brace that supports the clutch master cylinder.
once this brace has cracked the whole assembly can start to move and cause further cracks to form, eventually the problems you are experiancing happen.
Check that the steel pipe from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder has not cracked also.

I am not suprised that it has failed at that age/milage. I have personally replaced pedalboxes under 18 months old. there are stories of pedal boxes lasting 6 weeks.

Hope I'm wrong, bet i'm not:(

Cheers Trev.

bigandy
14-07-09, 19:39
Well that's interesting. Curiosity got the better of me, and I've just been out in the pouring rain to have a look in the footwell this evening. Armed with a decent torch, I can see quite clearly what the problem is.

Basically, there is evidence of a Bodgitt and Scarper engineering job on the pedal box. There is a load of pigeon sh!t weld on the angle bit that holds the clutch master cylinder in place. It doesn't appear to be cracked any more, and the master cylinder is definately not moving when the clutch pedal is pressed. However, the muppets who have welded it, have put the master cylinder a coutry mile out of alignment, which is obviously why the master cylinder is now weeping past the seals.

I'm hazarding a guess you won't want an exchange on a pedal pox that has already been tampered with/welded very poorly, do you Trev? :)

The list of stuff that needs doing to this new (to me) van is getting longer. :(

Andy

PS. the pipe feeding the master cylinder seems to be okay, as do the brakes.....

wind welder
14-07-09, 19:48
Hi Andy,

You would be suprised what you can reclaim! I can put it into my jig to get the alignment back.

If you could send a photo then I'll make a descion but it would have to be pretty dire to not be repairable.

Cheers Trev.

bigandy
14-07-09, 20:04
Just been out with the camera:

http://www.andy-sayle.co.uk/pedalbox%201.JPG

http://www.andy-sayle.co.uk/pedalbox%202.JPG

http://www.andy-sayle.co.uk/pedalbox%203.JPG

What do you think? It looks like it has been repaired in situ to be honest (grey spray paint over everything), and it would explain the rubbish welding.....

Andy

wind welder
14-07-09, 20:13
Hi Andy,

Yep that's another top job by stevie wonder on the welder ablely assisted by ray charles with the spray can:D:DLOL:LOL:

Yes I can reclaim that no problem so can do an exchange for you.

Email me you address, and how we can work out payment. If you need my bank details I will email them back.

Cheers Trev.

bigandy
16-07-09, 08:48
Hi Trev,

Sorry I've not got back to you earlier, I'll email you in a moment.

A quick question, how easy is it to replace the Pedalbox? Is it a weekend job, or a couple of hours in the evening job? I'm really starting to miss having a haynes manual for this van of mine now!

Andy

wind welder
16-07-09, 23:22
Hi Andy,

There is a "how to" some where on one of the "pedal box" threads, I'll have a look tomorrow!

It is a hour and a half - two hours tops to change. So "do-able" in an evening!

Cheers Trev.

wind welder
16-07-09, 23:29
YER TIZ!;)

It's fiddly to replace, not difficult!

It comes out from the inside of the van!

There are 4 nuts that hold the servo on from inside,(these are equally spaced around the brake rod where it go's through the bulkhead.)

Then there are 2 bolts that are right at the top of the bracket, there is not too much room to move a spanner but a socket with a short extension will do the job.

The 2 bolts that hold the clutch master cylinder are fairly obvious.

Remove the clip that holds the actuating rod for the brake rod.

And the one for the clutch too!

There is one bolt located in the engine bay at the bottom of the servo on it's centre line.

The bracket should come out now, disconnect the fly by wire throttle wires at the multi plug and the brackets free.

There is a spring and white plastic rod that will fall into the footwell as you remove the box this comes from the top of the clutch pedal and slides over a rod that stays in the van (you will understand when you see it)

If you need to remove the pedals they can now be removed. It may not look like they can be removed but they all can. VW must have a special department that just designs funky clips

Tools needed are:-

13mm ring spanner
13 mm deep socket
8mm socket or ring spanner (only with late fly by wire systems)
ratchet for socket,
extensions for socket,
screwdriver to release clips,
phillips screwdriver to remove lower steering wheel shroud.

Hope that helps,

Cheers Trev.