T4 buying advise? [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

T4 buying advise?

ickleric
19-07-09, 07:13
Hi,

I am thinking about selling my main car to buy a T4 van. Then i would like to convert it to a camper. Just have a few questions:

- Whats best to convert a Van or Caravelle?

- Do the T4 have a ncap safety rating (how safe is it)?

- Do the rock and roll beds have proper 3 point seat belts?

- Any websites with peoples own conversion step by step?

Thanks
Richard

stridey
19-07-09, 07:41
Welcome.
- Whats best to convert a Van or Caravelle?

Depends.....costs and whats available. Caravelles have glass all round and higher spec trim. also have stronger rear post fixings for belts. You may be surprised at what good value they can be, compared to vans as vans can be bought by tradesmen for ever and a 'Velle will likely be replaced by a more modern people carrier. You may find a 'Multivan' would be an idea as your 3rd question mentions belts and beds...

- Do the T4 have a ncap safety rating (how safe is it)?
Dont think they have been tested.

- Do the rock and roll beds have proper 3 point seat belts?

Big debate here. There ARE safety tested seats available. There are also untested seats available. Id suggest you join, read the forums and decide whats what. It is a bit of a can of worms, but fact is after reading up on the subject you will be able to make an informed decision, rather than buy a bed with belts in the hope they are either tested or approved.

Styleline do a really clever bed system that tucks behind proper seats. This way passengers are carried in belted seats, standard, then a bed can be made up when needed. A clever solution that will be ideal for some users.

- Any websites with peoples own conversion step by step?

Youve found it!
Paying a tenner opens up all the private forums. There are a load of step by steps. Makes fascinating reading (honest!). Some people have done blogs off forum, googling should find those.

good luck and welcome!

Ricky P
20-07-09, 12:35
Hi Richard,

Seems we have a bit in common! I have just bought a T4 as my everyday vehicle after reading up on camper conversions for ages. I bought a van as they seem to be quite a bit cheaper in my opinion. I also wanted 3 point seat belts in the back for the kids so I've fitted some seats and seat belts out of a Mazda Bongo. I live close to Blackburn where are you in Lancs? You are more then welcome to have a look at mine for ideas. Not sure how safe they are but VW is a good make and the T4's are bigger than most cars so should be ok!? I'm away at the mo but when I get back I'll post some pics of my conversion :)

Rick

ickleric
20-07-09, 14:52
Hi,

how do you find the van as an everyday vehicle?

i always liked the classic VW vans but wanted something a bit more safer. As the engine is at the front and quite modern i assume they will be much safer than type 2 or 25.

yeah some pics would be great?

did you get a van or caravelle?

Thanks
Richard

golddust
20-07-09, 16:50
I run my T4 as an everyday vehicle.

It's an LWB 2.5TDi which was a panel van but I've fitted middle row windows.

I'm very happy with the choice as I love driving it.

Bad points are only minor for me:
increased fuel use (about 35mpg).
bit big for some parking spaces (LWB van).
Not very quick, in fact around 80mph max or 60 uphill on motorway.
Spend all my free time playing with it and modifying... actually is that bad?