Installing cabinets LEVEL [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Installing cabinets LEVEL

richieski
06-03-08, 17:35
How?
I'm strugling to find a datum to take my measurements from to build my cabinets etc.
Do i try and level up the van on jacks etc

matt
06-03-08, 18:05
imho it looks better just using the van floor as your datum

loud ed
13-03-08, 19:48
if you build it outside the van nice and square on a level base the fit it in the van you cant use a level because 999 times out of a 1000 when you park the van aint level
p.s. i do it for a livin
have fun EDT:

white van Al
14-03-08, 08:35
I would have thought van floor to a set point the strike a datum line along the side. Will keep everything looking correct.T:

Kleftiwallah
14-03-08, 08:57
If you build your cabinets and ensure the tops are level when the bus is nose up, what is going to be tha state of your quiche in the oven when the nose of the bus is nose down!? As recommended, take the floor as datum or mount your cabinets on gimbals......Tony.

bigcat
14-03-08, 08:59
Fix the floor, then use the best metal square you can get. If poss get a large one and a small one.

t4world
14-03-08, 09:21
Just fixed these in last week. Maybe nothing like what you have planned but for sure- take yor reference from the van floor. That is what's going to end up looking the most correct, if you know what I mean. And the van's side's taper in quite alot! You'll be surprised. That was the hardest bit, keeping those square to the side of the van. Certainly work from the bulkhead backwards - as you will limit your amount of "shaving" that way as it increases towards the rear of the van. Hope that makes sense, if not give me a shout.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w48/mrjames_2007/sinkt4.jpg?t=1205174581

Wavestarved
14-03-08, 10:43
Newbie T4
they look sweet mate,like your work-top. Good job.

t4world
14-03-08, 11:02
Thanks wavestarved. I was really pleased how it turned out. Had to put a little worktop on there just to finish it off! Shame there were already holes in the doors for handles cos I would've liked to have put little knobs on really (oo-er). I attached strong magnets too on the shuts to stop the doors flying open. Almost finished my bed now - it's like a storage box over the l/h/s wheel arch that is a seat and folds out to a bed. Pics to follow.

Richieski - sorry mate, going off topic there!

richieski
14-03-08, 20:46
Just fixed these in last week. Maybe nothing like what you have planned but for sure- take yor reference from the van floor. That is what's going to end up looking the most correct, if you know what I mean. And the van's side's taper in quite alot! You'll be surprised. That was the hardest bit, keeping those square to the side of the van. Certainly work from the bulkhead backwards - as you will limit your amount of "shaving" that way as it increases towards the rear of the van. Hope that makes sense, if not give me a shout.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w48/mrjames_2007/sinkt4.jpg?t=1205174581

Nice, what worktop and where from, i like.
I have used the floor, i got 2 jacks at the front then adjusted them until the van was level, then i could put the units in level, it's difficult for me as i am doing a different setup to carry all my kitesurf gear.

t4world
14-03-08, 22:40
There's a Howden's Joinery near me, it's trade only but I joined up the other day. They do Kitchens mainly.

3mx600mmx28mm was only about 30 iirc....... cheap as chips and just the job.

PS.... bed went super well today, really pleased with it. Pics to follow!

penmaenmawr pete
04-04-08, 07:00
like your cabinets are they a standard type kitchen cupboard where did you get the sink

sn00p
04-04-08, 07:33
Just a heads up door magnets really dont work imo.... as soon as you take a corner at any speed your cans of soup and beans will bang the doors wide open.... trust me i tried having 2 on each door and then decided to use the pup lock shut type from B&Q

you kins get a V-ish shaped plate that bolts to the door and a recipient u shaped bit with 2 rollers for the cabinet side. they kinda snap together:ILU:

As for worktops and cabinets you just cant beat IKEA.... the worktops comes with either rolled edge or square you choose when installing. 15-20 in the black stone effect

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00124086

The cabinets its best to view instore and buy carcus from the faktum range just buy the wall cabinets as they are a perfect 700mm height. i bought 600mm deep and then trimed the backs out so i eventually have roughly 550mm deep just enough room for my home made rock and roll bed. I then chose the doors i wanted and handles then just buy a pack of hinges. I also bought 2 untis that i stack on top of each other and then removed the bottom of the top and top of the bottom to create my wardrobe. the untis come in all different sizes so i had swivel seats i needed to clear for leg room a cupboard without door big enough to house my fridge. cupbaords i used 1x500mm for fridge then 2 x 400mm for storgae then 2 600mm stacked on top for wardrobe. that gave me a full length of 1900mm. cupboards are sooooo cheap it was unreal.

For the cooker and sink i bought a smev glass lid 2 burner combo. They are a lot of money but its money well spent as when not in use fold the lid down and it sits flush with wortop so can be used as a worksuface. When the lids up it acts as a splash guard when cooking. It looks the absolute nuts and always clean and tidy looking. I managed to get mine for 170 but i see them for 230ish these days. Like i say i svaed money on lots of things but was happy to spend a little on the sink/hob as i didnt want this to be too focal and waste my worksurface.

loud ed
04-04-08, 22:26
go to howdens for your units they are far better quality than ikea proberbly cheaper too . use wall units with an 25mm block underneath so you can open doors
there wont be any bits missing either they come ready assembled
howdens is the trade outlet for m.f.i. and theres one in every major town

justina3
05-04-08, 07:51
i didnt know they where linked to MFI you learn something new every day.

ricko3k
05-02-09, 21:07
Just a heads up door magnets really dont work imo.... as soon as you take a corner at any speed your cans of soup and beans will bang the doors wide open.... trust me i tried having 2 on each door and then decided to use the pup lock shut type from B&Q

you kins get a V-ish shaped plate that bolts to the door and a recipient u shaped bit with 2 rollers for the cabinet side. they kinda snap together:ILU:

As for worktops and cabinets you just cant beat IKEA.... the worktops comes with either rolled edge or square you choose when installing. 15-20 in the black stone effect

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00124086

The cabinets its best to view instore and buy carcus from the faktum range just buy the wall cabinets as they are a perfect 700mm height. i bought 600mm deep and then trimed the backs out so i eventually have roughly 550mm deep just enough room for my home made rock and roll bed. I then chose the doors i wanted and handles then just buy a pack of hinges. I also bought 2 untis that i stack on top of each other and then removed the bottom of the top and top of the bottom to create my wardrobe. the untis come in all different sizes so i had swivel seats i needed to clear for leg room a cupboard without door big enough to house my fridge. cupbaords i used 1x500mm for fridge then 2 x 400mm for storgae then 2 600mm stacked on top for wardrobe. that gave me a full length of 1900mm. cupboards are sooooo cheap it was unreal.

For the cooker and sink i bought a smev glass lid 2 burner combo. They are a lot of money but its money well spent as when not in use fold the lid down and it sits flush with wortop so can be used as a worksuface. When the lids up it acts as a splash guard when cooking. It looks the absolute nuts and always clean and tidy looking. I managed to get mine for 170 but i see them for 230ish these days. Like i say i svaed money on lots of things but was happy to spend a little on the sink/hob as i didnt want this to be too focal and waste my worksurface.

What was the model number of your SMEV please?

paul ss
05-02-09, 21:27
i have always found howdens kitchens to be total maybe i just had a few batches over the years but hate reparing them , edging always coming of :(

sympony are probaly best on market or multiwood , sympony dont supply to the public anymore though and havnt for quite a few years .

b&q are part of screwfix so same products and if you ask the store they will match the screwfix price .

pretty much most stuff thats cam and dal never line up and step in the front , maybe me just been funny but if ther not right then they shouldnt be sold .

you can tell the qaulity of diffrent products when working with them and howdens is far from the best .

same for worktop you can tell the cheap stuff from the likes of durapol and axiom to the cheap ones that chip so easy .

bigcat
06-02-09, 08:18
i have always found howdens kitchens to be total maybe i just had a few batches over the years but hate reparing them , edging always coming of :(

sympony are probaly best on market or multiwood , sympony dont supply to the public anymore though and havnt for quite a few years .

b&q are part of screwfix so same products and if you ask the store they will match the screwfix price .

pretty much most stuff thats cam and dal never line up and step in the front , maybe me just been funny but if ther not right then they shouldnt be sold .

you can tell the qaulity of diffrent products when working with them and howdens is far from the best .

same for worktop you can tell the cheap stuff from the likes of durapol and axiom to the cheap ones that chip so easy .

Got to agree with Paul here: My mate came up with Howdens units for his van, for me to fit. It's daft stuff, like where they mark indents for drawer runner screw which are out of square etc, easily followed to create something just not quite right.
Have been reasonably happy with B&Q to be fair though. But It's worth strategically placing some corner blocks or a few screws instead of, or in addition to the cam things, to prevent stuff working loose in a moving van, or just to ensure squareness.