ticking engine [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

ticking engine

lee
10-03-08, 18:39
My 00 1.9td has developed a prominent ticking noise from the engine, this rises and falls with revs. The van has done 55000 fsh and is in excellent condition,oil and water are up to levels. Any ideas is it serious easy to fix etc? If it where a petrol engine id say it was tappets. cheers.

dsa
10-03-08, 20:11
Hi diesel engines also have tappets

BANANAVAN
10-03-08, 20:14
TRY pumping the break pedal with the engine running.. If the noise goes away then its your vacum pump.!

Soulstyledevon
11-03-08, 09:09
I've noticed a similar thing with mine. Only seems to do it when i've been driving down a motorway. Never happens on short journeys around town. Its always done it, not sure if its a fault or not. Usually corrects itself when i've stopped for a while.
Strange.

Centaur
11-03-08, 09:47
Sounds like the Vacuum pump or tappets....

When was the last time the oil was changed?

Vyper
11-03-08, 10:48
Manifold and gasket mate that's my thought.

You'll get a ticking then, I did, thought it was tappets, did em, still there, so investigated further and there was about 70% of the gasket gone and several cracks in the manifold...there gone now.

;)

Goodluck

Vyper

Soulstyledevon
11-03-08, 11:53
The above two dont sound good.
Might have to visit my local garage to check the old girl out. Don't like taking the van the garage and saying, there is a ticking noise sometimes. Sounds a bit lame or looking for a needle in a haystack!

Changed the oil in October drove about 4000miles. Are tappets/vacum pump a big job. How do you prove one or the other:dunno:

Cavemud
11-03-08, 12:08
If its your vacuum pump, pumping the brake quite hard a few times will 'affect' the noise.

With mine, a few good pumps on the brake usually stop the ticking for about 30 seconds.........

Centaur
11-03-08, 12:08
Manifold and gasket mate that's my thought.

Vyper - did your manifold start whistling too?

I know on an old Toyota, it sounded like a squealing kettle when the manifold gasket popped :eek:

Vyper
11-03-08, 12:32
Vyper - did your manifold start whistling too?

I know on an old Toyota, it sounded like a squealing kettle when the manifold gasket popped :eek:

No just a increasing ticking on rev... if you let you foot off the gas it stopped as I was not longer playing the diesel wind instrument aka my engine! lol

Tappets are from between 9-17 each + the vat (G&S or VAG your choice) for my one 2.4 5cylinder we needed 10. then its a case of getting the top off, removing or if your careful working under the cam and plopping em back in. Manifold was an engine out job unfortuantely in my case.

Good luck mate.

Vyper

Vyper
11-03-08, 12:33
If its your vacuum pump, pumping the brake quite hard a few times will 'affect' the noise.

With mine, a few good pumps on the brake usually stop the ticking for about 30 seconds.........

Yeah the shaft cover breaks down and causes the rattle, you can get a kit for it.

Vyper

Kleftiwallah
11-03-08, 14:33
Go for the easiest first. It's not a piece of strengthening wire protruding from a drive belt hitting the pulley is it? Tony.

glastrytown
23-04-08, 18:01
no ,this is a 1.9 diesel and the ticking noise does not start until the engine is warm!
braking has no effect on it.i'm thinking i should have a good look at the manifold,is it possible that a tiny bit of expansion when the engine gets hot could cause this noise?
the engine starts and runs really well.
thanks, advice appreciated!

fatdaz
22-08-08, 23:00
did you find out what this was m8 as my 1.9d non turbo is doing the same thing, thinking its either manifold or tappets, changed oil and filter today and gave it an engine flush too. still the same, changed downpipe as it was a bit suspcious still the same,?? it cud even be both i suppose

theres someone on ebay saying he can provide all tappets for all types of vag diesel engines for 3 each plus vat! worth a try i suppose