Carpeting ex AA panels [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Carpeting ex AA panels

mellow yellow
20-03-08, 20:10
Hi,
Has anyone who has bought an ex AA van had any success in sticking carpet to the plastic grey panelling in the back of these vans? or is it better to take it out and use it as a template for plywood to be fitted?:confused:

Cornblower
20-03-08, 20:23
I took mine out and used them as templates, used a exterior grade 4mm ply. Did a smashing job if I sayso myself.

Cornblower http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/banana.gifhttp://smiley.onegreatguy.net/ban-cha.gifhttp://smiley.onegreatguy.net/banana2.gif

Hoffmeister
20-03-08, 20:27
i stuck cheap carpet down to mine fine with a tin of adhesive, wrapped it round the back and stapled it down. looks fine in my aa van.

mellow yellow
20-03-08, 20:36
Cheers for that. Was it spray glue?:)

hendrix
20-03-08, 21:07
I used 2.99 a metre carpet and 2 cans of spray adhesive (10 each) from Carpetright.

Covered all interior panels including roof. Used the grey fixings to put back up - well chuffed :)

mtbjeff
17-03-09, 17:35
I used 2.99 a metre carpet and 2 cans of spray adhesive (10 each) from Carpetright.

Covered all interior panels including roof. Used the grey fixings to put back up - well chuffed :)

So it's been a year now, are they still stuck firmly?

Just about to carpet my van so interested to get an update from you T:

nic 1084
17-03-09, 17:56
bought carpet and glue through recommendation on this site... refixed with self tap screws and cups from screwfix . has worked well over last 6 months

Welshy
17-03-09, 18:02
I used spray glue and proper car type carpet on existing panels, very easy job and worked treat in my ex AA. T:

Having said that would also be very easy to use as a template on thin ply which wpuld be a bit more solid. Its a time/money thing, no? I fixed all my furfniture in van to metal substructure but ply can offer a fixing point on lighter stuff, that's another point.

have fun! :ILU:

hendrix
17-03-09, 18:08
So it's been a year now, are they still stuck firmly?

Just about to carpet my van so interested to get an update from you T:

Still stuck fast, sir A:

TonyR
17-03-09, 18:09
Still stuck fast, sir A:

Hendrix, Can you post some pics. I was thinking about the Carpetrite route as its local and convenient.

Have you done all the metalwork as well?

Cheers

adamsr
17-03-09, 20:00
I just used the plastic panels on my ex-AA. got the carpet and glue from rainbow conversions http://www.rainbowconversions.co.uk

used brush-on clontact adhesive on the panel, then spray on glue for the back of the carpet, leave to dry for a couple of minutes then stick. still holding firm now.

hendrix
17-03-09, 20:06
Hello Tony
I could post some pics - they're just the panels covered in carpet though - functional but nothing fancy - I'll put some up in daylight.
However, having seen some that have carpeted right up to the window rubbers - if I had my time again, that's what I'd do! :ILU:

TonyR
17-03-09, 20:17
Hello Tony
I could post some pics - they're just the panels covered in carpet though - functional but nothing fancy - I'll put some up in daylight.
However, having seen some that have carpeted right up to the window rubbers - if I had my time again, that's what I'd do! :ILU:

Thanks. I had a bash at my old LWB with carpetrite and it turned out OK. I know it is backed and was wondering how easy it was to get it into all the curves. I just did the panels before.

Cheers

greenduke
17-03-09, 21:29
template is def the way 2 go or u could try vw brezze in poole dorset i no they where selling old stock t4 ply kits 4 80+vat. its easy 2 fit carpet too panels when there off and u can wrap the carpet round the back so looks much more tidy.i have used spray in past but if it gets very cold it starts to come off. if u go 2 your locall carpet shop and ask fof some glue called f3 this works a treat it takes a bit longer than spray glue but worth it.u have to use a trowel 2 put it on just ask in the shop. just a quick note if u go down the ply route i would def insulate behind ply while u r there less noise and warmer in winter cooler in summer.A: