Caravelle owners [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Caravelle owners

steve padda
21-03-08, 23:12
Hi Guys
This may have been covered before if so please point me in the right direction, what Iam asking is... what dose it say on your V5.
Mine says .. model/type -- caravelle TDI SWB

Body type - - van/side windows
taxation class -- light goods vehicle

is this what it should say or should it be large passenger car ?? as have checked on the London LEZ site and My velle will not be compliant after 2010. I was under the impression velle's were to be exempt or do I need to contact DVLA to correct details on my V5.
Any comments / help welcome

steve :)

Jurasik
21-03-08, 23:37
Steve.
On the minus side, you won't be able to go into London after 2010 without incuring a charge.
On the plus side, your road tax is 180. My TDI is 210, as it's classed as a diesel car.
So it really comes down to this. If you want to be able to go into london after 2010 without incuring a charge, change it. (mind you, if your velle is older than 2001, then I think changing the taxation class will have no effect - Euro II engine) If you don't need to venture into london, leave it as it is. See the DVLA site here (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012524)
Just popped into my head as well. As your velle is classed as a light goods vehicle, you need to watch out for lower speed limits. 60mph versus 70mpg on national speed limits.
For more info about speed limits see here (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070304).
Hope this helps.

steve padda
21-03-08, 23:45
Thanks Jurasik I never gave the speed limits a thought, my velle was registered in june 2001.
This all seems so stupid I think I will contact VW after Easter to see what they have it listed as then may contact DVLA, as my other velle had the same as yours (large estate car) which I can live with.

steve T:

steve padda
22-03-08, 01:27
Anyone else ?? 23 views and only one reply, any one else got the same on their caravelle V5..

thanks
steve

t4trick
22-03-08, 07:42
Steve, my V5 says:
model/type - caravele tdi swb
body type - van/side windows
taxation class - Diesel car

...so my tax is 210! (the post office clerk had a mask on)

As I live in London, thats what I need!

steve padda
22-03-08, 18:27
Thanks guys, will see if I can get it changed just to be on the safe side regarding the speed issue and just in case this LEZ spreads.
steve

mart187
22-03-08, 20:01
Steve

Mine says
Model/Type - Caravelle SWB
Body Type - Minibus
Taxation Class - Private/Light Goods

Cheers

Martyn

steve padda
22-03-08, 20:08
Thanks Martyn
Another variation on our velles, wonder how many more different designations there are ?.
steve
T:

Boris
22-03-08, 20:09
Hi my 7 seater 1999 model....

model/type CARAVELLE TDI SWB
Body type MINIBUS
Taxation Class PLG

......And just paid 180 road tax for this year.

Boris

steve padda
22-03-08, 20:21
Thanks Boris
Yours is the same as Martyn's.
steve
T:

Mark Grant
22-03-08, 20:48
My 98 Multivan

Body type MINIBUS
Taxation Class PLG

And as I live in the London LEZ I took it to Wimbledon DVLA on Tuesday where they changed the body type to MPV.
I should get the new V5 in a week or three so I'll check the TFL website again then.

steve padda
22-03-08, 21:05
Thanks Mark
Please let me know how you get on
steve
T:

t4trick
22-03-08, 21:46
Just had a thought.
I have the 7 seat limo version of caravelle. I think the 8 and 9 seaters are classed differently. Therefore I have the 'car' and the others are 'van/buses'.

steve padda
22-03-08, 22:14
Hi T4trick
My current velle is an 8 seater inc driver, my previous velle was a 9 seater inc driver but that was down as a diesel car.
I think it has a lot to do with who or what firm or type of use were intended when the velles were ordered.
So I think it may be possible to change the classes ie taxation and body type, after all they gain extra money.
steve
:confused:

jar
22-03-08, 22:51
My 2000 Caravelle 7 Seater is

Body type MPV
Taxation Class PLG

John R (jar)

steve padda
22-03-08, 23:20
Thanks Jar
I think Mark is getting his classification changed to similar to yours, I think that may bbe the best option... MPV PLG sounds good.
Have you checked on the LEZ website to see if your going to be compliant after 2010 ??.
steve

many-ears
25-05-09, 17:40
I just bought a Transporter T5 9 seater from a chauffeur company without realising that.... the ROAD FUND LICENCE,that we affectionately call it will be...405.Yes 405,i could hardly believe it when the renewal letter hit my bin!As for speed i will of course be doing double what everyone else does as that is what i will have paid for,More Tarmac!

t4trick
25-05-09, 20:31
I just bought a Transporter T5 9 seater from a chauffeur company without realising that.... the ROAD FUND LICENCE,that we affectionately call it will be...405.Yes 405,i could hardly believe it when the renewal letter hit my bin!As for speed i will of course be doing double what everyone else does as that is what i will have paid for,More Tarmac!

Even although its about a1 a day its huge. I'll keep my T4 for just a little longer!

However if you drive twice as fast, then you'll only need to tax it for half a year!

Money saved!;)

LOL:LOL:

xAnimalx
27-05-09, 22:20
Steve

Mine is:-

Model type: Caravelle LWB GL
Date of first registration: 06 01 1998
Wheelplan: 2-AXLE-RIGID BODY
Taxation class:PRIVATE/LIGHT GOODS (PLG)
Type of fuel:HEAVY OIL
Cylinder capacity:2459 CC.

The Tax for 12 months last year was 185. Dont know what it will be this year. Hope this helps.

Karl

steve padda
28-05-09, 20:26
Hi Guys
Thanks for all the input, so it seem there are lots of differently registered velles.

steve

T:

Parky
04-06-09, 20:35
Mine is ..

Model type: Caravelle TDI LWB
Body type: Motor Caravan
Number of seats: 6

It has captain's seats & a Rock n' Roll bed hence 5 seat belts. Although the r & r will comfortably seat 4. Not sure how i'd fare with insurance if I seated 6 though :confused:
Tax is 185

As a relative newby no-one ever warned me about the wonderful world of T4's I:
when I had my Zafira life was simple ..
1. I just drove it
2. I didn't want to spend a fortune on mods & improvements
3. Random people didn't approach me everytime I parked & wanted to discuss the merits of LWB and/or long nose & twin sliders.

Yep, life used to be simple ... but boring! :jiggy