VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

6-speed Conversion kit

88K views 135 replies 47 participants last post by  jvlatchwk 
#1 ·
So has anyone been brave enough to order a Eurotuning conversion kit and install it in their T4 yet?

They report that over 350 cars are running the kit at present and they offer the same parts guarantee as VW, but at over £1000 it isn't a cheap option for sure.

If anyone is running it in their van I would love to hear from you, or am I going to be the first to get my wallet out? :eek:

#7 ·
#15 ·
Correct T4Eddie - it is a 6th gear extension and a new access panel (with end shaft support bearings built in). The access is very tight on the T4, unlike on the Golfs. They quote it as being an in-situ modification but in all honesty this will be incorrect and to do the job efficiently it is a gearbox out job as far as I am concerned. (This is due to the lack of clearance to allow the new end plate to fit in and the end shafts to slot into the support bearings).

#20 ·
It is highly unlikely that sufficient clearance can be made to slide the new end cover onto the end shaft in order to locate the shaft with the captive bearings in the new cover plate.

The new selector shaft is a pretty fiddly operation as well that will best be tackled on the bench.

The best way to do do this mod is to carry it out at the same time as a clutch replacement to make life a lot less stressful on yourself (assuming you are the one fittting it). Some garages may quote it as being capable of fitting in the vehicle, but having spoken to a few of the Golf guys that have undertaken this operation it is awkward enough with tight clearances for them (and they have FAR better access than we do in the T4s).

#22 · (Edited)
Fair enough Brookster - but I assume you are running a 2.4D from your post signature which is not the same engine, gearbox, clutch or DMF as the AJT that I have based this thread around?

The modified Sachs clutch I have is also designed to be used in cojunction with a standard DMF. You can of course go down the VR6 clutch and SMF option but this is not the choice I have made after weighing up the options available and driving characteristics of each setup.

The kit has been ordered so I should see it arrive in 2-3weeks now.....will post pictures when I get it in my hands!

#25 · (Edited)
not the same engine, gearbox, clutch or DMF as the AJT that I have based this thread around?
I'd delete that statement if i was you , due to it being incorrect

when you fit the 6 Speed conversion the longer ratio's will put for strain on the DMF Flywheel I:

how do i know this , cos i had a Quaife six speed conversion in an 02C Box in a Golf :cool:

probably the reason 2 of my friend who i go racing with have fitted 228mm SMF form a AJA /AAB and a uprate friction plate (6 puk) in their AJT's which are over 150bhp ;)

#29 ·
Who would want a longer 6th gear - Well I would as it happens, the ability to sit at 70mph running approx 2300rpm will greatly improve the long distance motorway driving in the van by reducing engine noise and overall cabin comfort. A slight improvement in MPG will likely eb seen but is not the reason I am carrying out this mod.

If you don't want to spend the money fair enough.......that is your choice. My van is not something I am doing to run for a year and sell, therefore any money spent on it is a long term outlay.......this is a motor I will keep and run alongside other cars for everyday use around town.

As for the longer 5th that is definetly an option, but the downside being that you get a slightly longer step down in rpm between 4th and 5th.....where as the 6th speed kit keeps the standard steps between 1st and 5th whilst adding a similar step down to the new 6th gear. This also comes in very handy on the german autobahns as it will let the van run along at 100mph (at approx 3600rpm) without the engine crying in vain (like present at approx 4200rpm).

I am not arguing a point as to why you should all do this mod, but rather providing information to others who may wish to carry out this as well.

If you don't want to know my findings/experience with the mods I have/am currently carried out it's simple, just don't read my threads.......don't berate and argue that your mods are best, your opinion counts more, etc. That is not constructive to anyone.

Sorry for the rant, but I am seeing this more and more on the forum these days, making this a minefield of information/mis-information rather than the friendly source it has been in the past.

Peace and Love to all. T:

#30 ·
Incorrect again. and youre ar$ey attitude really doesn't add any weight to your argument at all.

The reason you'd fit a 6 speed kit is to get less of a drop between gear changes so your vehicle stays within it's power band and thus accelerates quicker.

If all you're changing is 5th and 6th then all that is is basically an overdrive kit, and you're then going to have the problem where 4th to 5th is too short if you're not changing the other gears. So you're not fixing the issue you describe with fitting just a longer 5th.

Cheaper and easier to fit bigger tyres and/or change the final drive.

Enjoy your purchase. I love my close ratio 6 speed dog box, but it's not in my T4.....

#31 · (Edited)
The Quaife kit is indeed a close ratio kit as you describe and as you point out would not be an ideal fitment to match the wide power band on a T4.
The Eurotuning kit leaves the original ratios unaltered but provides an additional cruising gear better matched to uprated engines.T:
Changing the final drive although providing longer legs would also widen the currently well matched gaps between the ratios and raise the 1st gear which although a bit low is usefull for towing, hill starts when loaded or trickling along in a slow moving line of traffic.

#32 ·
Motters.

I think your bang in the money. I have done the 5th gear mod, but still want a bit lower cruising revs to make my long motorway journeys more enjoyable without having to worry about over reving my pride and joy.

Watching your mod with great Interest as I think I will follow.

Just a shame there are so many ring pieces on these forums who love to try and make people feel small.

Cheers.

John.

#34 ·
No aggression intended. :confused:
Thanks for the constructive input. I take on board all the available info from guys with 1st hand experience: especially in a field as narrow as 6 speed T4s (thanks Brookster and Zmok) and use that together with my own engineering experience to get Vanzee to the point where it suits my particular requirements. Those requirements may vary wildly from many others on the forum that's why our vans are all so individual.T:T:T:
I think it was Gordon Murray who once said "Standard is just another word for substandard"..........but I'm willing to be correctedI:

#35 ·
I watch with interest...

I wonder how many people told the Wright brothers their efforts would lead to nothing.

Ok.... This is not quite so revolutionary but ffs, what is so wrong with having a idea to improve and having enough good will in posting up the results for the benefits of others.

Go for it Motters, i for one am subscribing, i hope it delivers everything your investments are hoping for and more.

Rasp: to the sceptics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.