VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Van Watch

49K views 273 replies 210 participants last post by  tisme 
#1 · (Edited)
This section is great but I think its importance should be increased.

This forum and its members could become an incredibly powerful tool in combating van theft - and be a great deterrent!

Instead of YOU having to go to this section - have the info come to you. Simple really. It can come to you in the form of a red alert in a PM - a text - an email etc.

This would mean news of a stolen van would spread all over the country incredibly quickly - there are members everywhere now and the amount of miles and roads we all cover on a daily/weekly basis i'm sure is staggering and would mean there are eyes everywhere.

Who better to spot a Transporter than us lot?

I'm not naive enough to think its as easy as just spotting a reg :* but we do mostly have a keen eye for the subtle details.

The information required for the post should be fairly extensive - as much help as poss really, subtle changes you have made etc. certainly would help when buying parts.

I personally wouldn't mind if I got an email or a text message or that the first thing I had to do when opened the forum was to read an RED ALERT about a stolen van. This information needs to be out there ASAP.

Another thing that would be great would be any success story was followed up in the same way with a big fat Green Alert A:

What do you guys think ? (please see post 191)
There a huge amount of work for Admin to create this system so they need to be made aware of your support and your thoughts.

21/4/13 THIS WAS SUGGESTED ON ANOTHER THREAD IN LOST AND FOUND - A BAY WAS STOLEN AND TOWED AWAY...

Originally Posted by Tallwallfitter
OK chaps. I know its a little late for this one but in the future, if you see any camper being towed or on a trailer, Take a picture if you can. This way someone might get their bus back in one piece before its stripped for parts. Just a little idea.

SUPPORTERS ; Get your name added, simply post on the thread with 'i'm in' or words to that effect
(Please consider subscribing to this thread to keep up to date with developments)

Please spread the word.

kayakmartin
thebouncingbunny
ustwo
frankys-bus
dekland50
syd
PerkinsEngine
Vanjak
moneybox
go-ferret
parkyPig
brionline
Thisisgonacostalot
PWMsquad
Andyksamba
stevo
chazmc
welshypugh
jamesswampy
bilbocamper72
Chippy Dick
Dixon
hibiscus
stujcb
H34TON
m6lvs
georgiaalana
chezzy71
bigcat
laspooky
slimjim
Fatboy35
William1
Donz696
wayner007
Pastieman
the K
Mutley Crew
marine63
ainesy
dazteen
timsouthcoast
ant man
narked@50
mungusnumpty
police t4
mod1962
robj57
wakwak
Bogey
mark freer
mswin341
pure t4
Tallwallfitter
Steve.D
cocoa
Rizzo The Rat
The Welsh Brummie
Empi
nigel h
ruby92
Winchweight
Bucket Babe
foxy
VAN M1TCH
clunkey
Graham Atwell
mikevwt4
T5ster
Rich Sa
Linesy
TH Performance
wakwak
Mrs wakwak
pitchpop
burridge01
dakar
Chumba
vwod
Ellmeister1993
dub-man
SmileyT
mudyf0x
meg
Johnny 5
DUKEOFELFORD
TURK
Rich599
dougstour
Taffwinn
fazman
Ratman
Flanker59
MrFace
Taff Brown
Kerry793
Welshtourist
jonnyd4
uncledaisy
MESMmack
ERA
dsm
Adyss
sharkbait
DenverDog
prozz
pd2h
olderthancoal
mrwalsh1968
JIMMYJAMES
mongoose94
modboy
kfphil
lloyd13
cader
Simmozzz
Thedazzable
Jcgas
atk13
J555fjr
Spock
Paul Ion
pure t4
NellyT5
T5 KNW
dusty.50
wow
AnimalCrewvan
cocoa
festa
m90got
Jonsaunders
t4 Zimbo
T4Lyn
rich p
T4DILLON
T5Stitch
Warrington Si
allenandjanice
Tony reynolds
mikesalf
Briggo66
idtopham
alfieredt4
Inca2607
Digitaldaz
T4Wolff
Nobby101
jgoo
craney
BabyMc
mancub
desktopdell t5
Bigdubz
WJB
geoffhorton
Joker 1198
Samwise
cartech
tom142
jonnyd4

+ 158

See less See more
#4 ·
I think its a great idea ......lets face it any thing we can all do to feel safer about our vans has to be a good idea T: it would just need to be a thread we all subscribe to ...then if your phone data is on you will know when any one posts on it T: x

#9 · (Edited)
I did think about the 'subscribe to thread' aswell, which is a good idea - but it took me about +3 yrs to find out about that function.
I think a combination of the two would cover all bases.

I think any system would need careful moderating so it didnt get abused and remained effective.

#12 ·
This section is great but I for one think its importance should be increased.

I have mentioned this is one or two posts before so forgive me if this isnt the first time you have have heard this.

This forum could become an incredibly powerful tool in combatting van theft.
Instead of just having this as a section YOU have to go to, have the info come to you on an Alert (like when you get a PM) - a copy of which would still be shown as a thread etc.

The news of a stolen van would spread all over the country incredibly quickly - there is members everywhere now and the amount of miles and roads we all cover on a daily/weekly basis i'm sure is staggering.

Who better to spot one than people who are van spotting anyway.

I'm not naive enough to think its as easy as just spotting a reg :* but we do mostly have a keen eye for the subtle details.

The information required for the post could be failry extensive - as much help as poss really, certainly would help when buying parts.

I personaly wouldn't mind if the first thing I have to do when I log on is read an RED ALERT about a stolen van.

Another thing that would be great if any sucess story was followed up with a Green Alert A:

What do you guys think - what about you mods/admin as i'm sure this would mean work for you I:

Any comments from Admin about this?

#17 ·
Many years ago there was a scheme (whether it was just Essex police) but all it was, was a sticker displayed on the vehicle inviting the police to stop it and question the driver if it was out on the road between set hours. I think it was called vehicle watch and the sticker was fluorescent green so was conspicuous. Checking the web looks like some forces may still be running this, might be worth checking.

#42 ·
I work on a website that has a logo exactly like the one in the sticker, they are being sued by monster energy drink for intellectual property theft, they even have a cease and desist order on the website. It's mainly due to the logo on merchandise.

Check it out its ridiculous really you have to be really careful with monster energy. www.monsterfishkeepers.com

Dixon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.