VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

T4 Whine under load above 50 mph

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  susannehorwood28 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I am assuming this is a gearbox / drive issue but have no Idea. My 1999 2.5tdi T4 has a whine, mostly in 4th and 5th when on the throttle and above 50mph.

The tone / pitch of the whine is consistent what ever the speed but the volume gets louder the closer you get to 70mph.

If I take my foot of the throttle the sound instantly goes and its quite again.

I have searched around but haven't come across any threads with the exact same symptoms. Most seem to be whines below 40mph.

Has anyone had any experience of these symptoms or know of anywhere around the Nottingham area they could recommend me take it too?

Many Thanks,
Ben

#7 ·
T4's have some odd quirky behaviour hence the several different responses. It could also be an outer CV joint which is heard under load & not overrun.
If you record the noise I'll guarantee someone will know what it is. Mine only came in over 70mph which turned out to be the wife. LOL:

#8 ·
Thanks All for the responses.

I have checked wheel bearing and I can check that off the list. Gear box oil is now the next on the hit list but I don't think it has been opened for a long time if at all as the filler plug will not budge. Maybe a trip to the local garage for that.

Hadn't thought of the CV joint will look into that also.

I will try and record it see if that offers up anything too.

Thanks again

#11 ·
Thanks All for the responses. I have checked wheel bearing and I can check that off the list. Gear box oil is now the next on the hit list but I don't think it has been opened for a long time if at all as the filler plug will not budge. Maybe a trip to the local garage for that. Hadn't thought of the CV joint will look into that also. I will try and record it see if that offers up anything too. Thanks again
Did the gear box sort it. Mines doing the same and same model. I'm interested in what you did to resolve. Tia

#10 ·
Hi all,
I am assuming this is a gearbox / drive issue but have no Idea. My 1999 2.5tdi T4 has a whine, mostly in 4th and 5th when on the throttle and above 50mph.

The tone / pitch of the whine is consistent what ever the speed but the volume gets louder the closer you get to 70mph.

If I take my foot of the throttle the sound instantly goes and its quite again.

I have searched around but haven't come across any threads with the exact same symptoms. Most seem to be whines below 40mph.

Has anyone had any experience of these symptoms or know of anywhere around the Nottingham area they could recommend me take it too?

Many Thanks,

Ben
There is a bearing going in your gearbox it sits behind 5th gear, it’s a box out job to replace.

Think I was quoted £450/£500 quid to do bearing but while box is out I may as well do the full gearbox recon as the rest must be worn as well... that’s my thinking anyway.

Ps mine has been like this for ages only happens around 50mph in 5th, hasn’t got any worse In 3 yrs maybe however I did change oil in box as soon as I got van don’t believe VW SEALED FOR LIFE B#llocksT:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.